How do you start your gameplay?

I know that there are many ways to play this game. But I am curious about how you guys start. My typical start is first and foremost get access to water and outhouses. Then a little pit for polluted water and compost. I have already chosen a digger, a builder and a researcher. Then I put the research station in place with a power source. The researcher is busy with his stuff and then I plan a layout: barracks, kitchen and mess hall. After that I put latrines in place and plan where to dig the water reservoir and one for polluted water.

I have noticed that I can survive with four dupes for a long time, around 20-30 cycles. In the mean time I also get one farmer and start some basic food production.

How is your start? I have seen mutilpe videos on YouTube from some leading players like Pravus, Nathans sandbox and Francis John. They have all a different approach to the early game. How is yours?

Really depends on the map. I do print new dupes very late, I have done > 1000 cycles with 3 dupes. That is a lot less stressful. But other than that it really depends. I even have done no-outhouse runs where I did offgassing oxygen for a long time on a map with no or well contained slimelung.

Slow and steady wins the race, unless going for achievements.

I also don't try to plan too much in advance or follow any kind of rigid structure, just add another room wherever there's space. I try to keep things very close initially when all the dupes are so slooooow, and then tear it up and rebuild elsewhere when there's a need for it. I like the organic look of my bases.

Screenshot_20230531_224416.thumb.jpg.e4427f5ec97fcc7ecbc71e18e531d1c5.jpg

Like here I'm about the tear down the old bristle blossom farm and build shiny new bedrooms there... and then build an expanded and more automated kitchen where the old ones were.

Deal with pee.

Deal with o2.

Start research.

Collect hatches/critters and start ranches.

Beds n mess hall.

Explore.

After that, it starts depending on what I find. This is when the game becomes fun for me, as I'm no longer on autopilot. 

Dependents on many things.

Mainly I'm printing new duplicant as soon as it possible, so, around 60 cycle I have 20 duplicants (my printing pod may print only duplicants, I forgot how that option called).

First 15 cycles I'm focused on research and excavation, only buildings I have is research stations, manual generators, 2 batteries, 4 outhouse and 4 water sink. As usual map provide enough food for first 15-20 cycles.

Then I start to build farm and (if I have rancher) ranches. The main goal is build 4-8 ranches with hatches, and get rid of farms.

Think around 20-30 cycle I'm doing SPOM

Then, depending from map, if you have oil wells on top the map, I'm digging top and building petroleum generators on the top of the map. Otherwise, bottom, to the oil biome. So, around 50 cycle I'm having petroleum power plant, and going to steel production.

Then, as usual, I'm going to space for supercoolant, but last my game I have 400 cycle, and still did not launch any rocket, just building industrial block (I would like to say, I print only 30 dupes, as usual I have around 70-100)

About duplicant skills, I'm doing +1research, one main specialty (like super-hard-digging) and suit wearing (to remove athletics penalty for suits).

I never focus on perfect-self-sustainable-<something>, almost never remove debris, trying to dig everything as fast as possible (to find all geysers, I have no obsession to dig all map completely; but if you are going to build separate room for each of 100 dupes, you need to dig pretty a lot), keeping liquids not mixed, making all research as fast as I can.

And most important thing about fast progression, you need to play x1 speed, and spend 70% of time on planning - what to dig and what and where to build

1. builder/digger; rancher with skill; researcher with mechanotronic (yes, I was tired rolling, and after three times rolling for several hours just use mod to save/load dupes)

2. ladder, water access, wash-basin, toilet, door

3. two research stations (one unpowered), battery, wheel, door

4. research to great hall, build four beds, door

5. minimal ranch area, dig hatch

6. if arbor trees + pips present, water bottom branches

7. research to supercomputer, build great hall

8. research to ranching (dirt part), build super computer

9. research to stone crasher, build second wash-basin + toilet, dig to oxylite or air pockets, dig to block hot geysers, dig to wild plants and to save critters/plants, overall dig

10. build stone crasher, research to incubator and autosweeper (available dirt part), crash 600 metal

11. before researcher get first skill point research to electrolyzer, but as soon as researcher get first skill point switch to research ranching

12. build ranches, undig all hatches if available, wrangle pips if available, research incubator,

13. build researched things (amount researched depends on conditions and researcher), like pump for water or bigger battery

14. build incubator, research sweeper.

15. as soon as there will be problem with oxygen, research and build electrolyzer,

if there are some problem with food (four normal dupes can survive very long on wild plants) build microbe masher / grille

well, after that all roads differ, mostly ranching/digging/researching until two full hatch-stables or four pip-stables.

1 dupe with research only and "fast learner" trait, 1 builder with "mechatronics" trait and 1 digger with "critter" trait. 

Dupe printed at cycle 3 becomes second researcher (because the first researcher dupe dosen't have advanced research yet)

Print dupes every time possible for the first 100 cycles while building enough ranches to feed them all. 

Dupes live of Fried Mush bars till "locavore" has been achieved, after that all efforts go toward finishing "Carnivore" achievement. 

All this is done while also going for the SS achievement. 

Every single game I've started, since they've introduced achievements, has been played like this - Game is considered gg and lost if i fail to achieve the carnivore achievement, or any of the other achievements for that sake.

Start dupes: Builder, Miner, Research/Art

Immediate build order: Bathroom, basic power, research

First 2 Pods: A 4th and 5th dupe for Ranching and Cooking/Doctor. 

Research: Rush Super Computers, irrigated farm tiles, plumbing, then airflow tiles and Deodorizers to build my permanent inside base water reservoir and start the O2 plant under it.

Oxygen: Depending on the map I'll either use Algae Terrariums to make polluted water bottles (needs refined metal so add that to research priorities) or Sublimation Stations to make polluted oxygen for my Deodorizers to clean. 

First i dig up and make a room for outhouses. Up so that CO2 doesn`t stay there. At the same time i dig towards water for wash basins since i usually play on high disease difficulty.

Next i set up beds and keep digging where it`s possible without a skill in digging. On the way i forage food items and place them in my ration box at priority 6.

Then oxygen. Depends on map type might be just an oxygen diffuser or a small farm of oxyfern. Swamp doesn`t really need to worry about it early on.

Finally research (on forest earlier to plant oxyfern).

A basic farm - usually near the water supply since it will stay at a nice temperature for the longest time.

Doors and basic room layout to get that bit of morale for first skills. (later in swamp due to everything falling down when dug)

Exploring other biomes for extra food - also cooking.

Switch to coal power and gather coal in storage at 6 priority next to the generator.

Wall of insulated tiles starting from the sides that have the highest temperature difference.

Pool for polluted water.

Refining small amounts of metal for power automation.

Robust power system with a vertical heavi watt backbone and transformers on each flloor. Later expanded all the way to the surface.

Metal smelter.

Basic cooling depoending on planetoid type.

Breaking the surface and first telescope.

Sending a dupe via teleporter (repeat all of the above on second planetoid).

My most recent start was bathroom, beds, start research, realize there is an abyssalite break to a magma channel, panic, vacuum diagonal build in shifts while healing from scaldings... good times (strangely only slightly sarcastic... was a fun challenge).

On 5/31/2023 at 3:15 PM, T-Rex_80 said:

I know that there are many ways to play this game. But I am curious about how you guys start. My typical start is first and foremost get access to water and outhouses. Then a little pit for polluted water and compost. I have already chosen a digger, a builder and a researcher. Then I put the research station in place with a power source. The researcher is busy with his stuff and then I plan a layout: barracks, kitchen and mess hall. After that I put latrines in place and plan where to dig the water reservoir and one for polluted water.

I have noticed that I can survive with four dupes for a long time, around 20-30 cycles. In the mean time I also get one farmer and start some basic food production.

How is your start? I have seen mutilpe videos on YouTube from some leading players like Pravus, Nathans sandbox and Francis John. They have all a different approach to the early game. How is yours?

I dig a small co2 pit for the materials and then build the toilets and bedrooms

Archived