Do you prefer "big continent + some isles" or "bunch of islands"

This.

The default world gen would create a big continent and some small islands (lunar, monkey, granny)

Me personally prefer the starting place is not too big. A big continent is certainly helpful for seasoned players, they can spend few days explore the whole map and visit any place they need, but it lacks the exploration element.

I believe Tropical Experience and Island Adventure mods are doing a great job here by allowing a world map with many islands, sailing into unknown, and sometimes not having everything you need in one place is way more interesting for me

Big continent and small islands, like it is right now.

My only request is that the mainland be put in a corner of the map, that way the ocean wouldn't be a ring around it and you could more-or-less easily reach every important landmark with a single boat. As opposed to the current worldgen where it's often better to just craft a new boat at the mainland's closest edge to the landmark, rather than travel around the mainland

3 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Big continent and small islands, like it is right now.

My only request is that the mainland be put in a corner of the map, that way the ocean wouldn't be a ring around it and you could more-or-less easily reach every important landmark with a single boat. As opposed to the current worldgen where it's often better to just craft a new boat at the mainland's closest edge to the landmark, rather than travel around the mainland

That or implement the fog from Shipwrecked that when you reach edge of ocean it warps you to the opposite edge at cost of some sanity (like an ocean version of a wormhole)

I don’t know because I haven’t played the “bunch of islands” option but I think it could be worth a world gen setting at least. Perhaps not the default experience but something you could try to challenge yourself a little extra and/or spice gameplay up.

Bonus points if they add better sailing options while they’re at it, something like the surfboards from shipwrecked.

I’ve said this ever since I joined these forums: I’ll say it again at least one more time.

On Xbox, when you buy Solo Don’t Starve, there is not a single version of that game that does NOT come with Reign Of Giants DLC (For PC & PlayStation this was sold as a separate expansion pack..) but for Xbox it’s always been a core part of the game from the beginning.

Ironically.. (& as far as I know of anyway..) there’s not a Single version of Dont Starve Sold on Nintendo Consoles that does NOT Include both the Reign Of Giants & The Shipwrecked DLC as part of the Core Gaming Experience.

https://www.nintendo.com/search/?q=dont+starve&p=1&cat=gme&sort=df

this means that Shipwrecked while a DLC for PC, PlayStation & Xbox- Will always be part of Nintendo Switch as a core part of buying the game.

Why is any of this important or related to this topic or to DST in anyway at all?? Hold on I’ll tell you.

I own Solo DS + all it’s DLCs, and WHEN you own all the DLCs for the game you can play in them by toggling your experience choices at the start of the game. (RoG, SW, HAM) 

This will effect how the world generates, weather seasons, biomes, mobs, core gameplay mechanics and more in your world Gen settings/ world generations prior to launching a world.

(a shipwrecked save will break the landmasses up into archipelago biomes, a standard save has no sailable ocean at all..)

DST can have these same kinds of world Gen choices, that let you choose different ways the world generates biomes, or different ways that game content interacts with the player/you interact with it..

For example: Instead of throwing out every single bit of work Klei has done in making DST Boats & Content you interact with on that boat, an entirely different world Gen preset could be available that spawns Shipwrecked style boats & content.

Essentially the TL:DR- In Solo DS if you travel to Shipwrecked, core game mechanics, sailing, mob interactions, weather behavior, resources etc change. If you hop aboard a teleportation device (Sky/Sea Worthy) You can travel between The DLCs I see no logical reasoning why instead of trying to cram EVERYTHING into DST that we can’t get separate things that do their own thing but can all connect like Solo DS and it’s DLCs.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve said this ever since I joined these forums: I’ll say it again at least one more time.

On Xbox, when you buy Solo Don’t Starve, there is not a single version of that game that does NOT come with Reign Of Giants DLC (For PC & PlayStation this was sold as a separate expansion pack..) but for Xbox it’s always been a core part of the game from the beginning.

Ironically.. (& as far as I know of anyway..) there’s not a Single version of Dont Starve Sold on Nintendo Consoles that does NOT Include both the Reign Of Giants & The Shipwrecked DLC as part of the Core Gaming Experience.

https://www.nintendo.com/search/?q=dont+starve&p=1&cat=gme&sort=df

this means that Shipwrecked while a DLC for PC, PlayStation & Xbox- Will always be part of Nintendo Switch as a core part of buying the game.

Why is any of this important or related to this topic or to DST in anyway at all?? Hold on I’ll tell you.

I own Solo DS + all it’s DLCs, and WHEN you own all the DLCs for the game you can play in them by toggling your experience choices at the start of the game. (RoG, SW, HAM) 

This will effect how the world generates, weather seasons, biomes, mobs, core gameplay mechanics and more in your world Gen settings/ world generations prior to launching a world.

(a shipwrecked save will break the landmasses up into archipelago biomes, a standard save has no sailable ocean at all..)

DST can have these same kinds of world Gen choices, that let you choose different ways the world generates biomes, or different ways that game content interacts with the player/you interact with it..

For example: Instead of throwing out every single bit of work Klei has done in making DST Boats & Content you interact with on that boat, an entirely different world Gen preset could be available that spawns Shipwrecked style boats & content.

Essentially the TL:DR- In Solo DS if you travel to Shipwrecked, core game mechanics, sailing, mob interactions, weather behavior, resources etc change. If you hop aboard a teleportation device (Sky/Sea Worthy) You can travel between The DLCs I see no logical reasoning why instead of trying to cram EVERYTHING into DST that we can’t get separate things that do their own thing but can all connect like Solo DS and it’s DLCs.

The reason is the same as why we don't have two layers of caves in DST, more worlds would mean the server has to maintain more instances, and that affects the performance heavily

15 hours ago, ALCRD said:

That or implement the fog from Shipwrecked that when you reach edge of ocean it warps you to the opposite edge at cost of some sanity (like an ocean version of a wormhole)

I think this is what’s most needed, sailing needs some way of teleporting your whole boat, since currently sailing from one side of the map to the other is a true pain and in most cases you do 5 times faster to run through land and make another boat (even a grass one or a simple wood one with rows) on the other side.

As for OP’s question I’d like the biomes spread in small islands as a worldgen optional thing, and the default world should have more islands to explore and a slightly smaller mainland (most worlds are large by default and a big chunk of it has nothing of interest. I suggest everyone to try medium sized worlds and compare: you don’t really lose resources and it’s actually better to explore. Using that extra space on more islands would be more fun IMO)

Some way to warp around the sea is a must, for any option.

8 minutes ago, Lyserus said:

The reason is the same as why we don't have two layers of caves in DST, more worlds would mean the server has to maintain more instances, and that affects the performance heavily

Not necessarily, no.. for many years multiplayer games that have contained multiple locations the players could explore have required all the players to transition to the new area at the same time, for example Borderlands transfers all players to a new area when using the New-U stations.

I therefore, reasonably expect that DST could have “portals or gateways” that the players can trigger and when all players are in vicinity of this portal/gate, they will all be transferred to the new area- which in Turn allows the area you just left to Unload from the servers strain.

Now I’m no game designer, I don’t know the technical ins and outs- but I imagine it’ll be like that Xbox game Portal Knights, or even the Original Dead Island where players had to be in the Activation circle (big red ring) to travel to the new area or else, travel cancels and no one goes.

NOW onto the more juicy stuff, Since DST currently handles both a Surface AND a Cave Server Shard Simultaneously at the exact same time.. then this also means we would be able to handle at the very least two OTHER types of server shards at the same time. 

For Example: Surface + Caves (Enter Portal unload old area for all players on game session) Replaced with Hamlet Jungle Surface + Hamlet Trap Temples.

It WILL work.. you just have to have every player in the world transition to the two new shards so the old shards can off-load.

All my worlds from the past last years were made as multiple islands (talking exclusively of the mainland biomes here), I keep exclusively the important biomes as part of the spawn island containing, here's how it goes :

• Spawn, Swamp, Deciduous Forest, Moon Stone Forest, both Deserts, and a few of the random ones for the spice.
  • I add a second island for where specific mobs are usually found : Savannas, Walruses, Mandrake Forest as well as the Pig Village & Swamp one.
  • A third for all the Bees and Frog biomes...
  • And a last island for all the Rocky and Meteor stuff.
  • and cherry forest island uvu

I then make it so there is guaranteed Wormholes with links between all those standard islands and I'm telling you, it's extremely comfortable to play on for both the land and sailing gameplay ! I also massively tweaked my caves to be exit hubs instead of 5 minute march from each spots plus lots of connection between biomes to be adjusted for easier travels, I believe caves are a pure mess due to the constant gaps between each rooms of the same biomes and in general over-filled with useless spaces even if most biomes, if put to minimum, come with nicer look and uses.

So yep that's how I play DST and it's awesome that way, not coming back to vanilla worldgen anytime soon.

51 minutes ago, ADM said:

All my worlds from the past last years were made as multiple islands (talking exclusively of the mainland biomes here), I keep exclusively the important biomes as part of the spawn island containing, here's how it goes :

• Spawn, Swamp, Deciduous Forest, Moon Stone Forest, both Deserts, and a few of the random ones for the spice.
  • I add a second island for where specific mobs are usually found : Savannas, Walruses, Mandrake Forest as well as the Pig Village & Swamp one.
  • A third for all the Bees and Frog biomes...
  • And a last island for all the Rocky and Meteor stuff.
  • and cherry forest island uvu

I then make it so there is guaranteed Wormholes with links between all those standard islands and I'm telling you, it's extremely comfortable to play on for both the land and sailing gameplay ! I also massively tweaked my caves to be exit hubs instead of 5 minute march from each spots plus lots of connection between biomes to be adjusted for easier travels, I believe caves are a pure mess due to the constant gaps between each rooms of the same biomes and in general over-filled with useless spaces even if most biomes, if put to minimum, come with nicer look and uses.

So yep that's how I play DST and it's awesome that way, not coming back to vanilla worldgen anytime soon.

Sounds amazing !  Any way to put all this work into a mod pack?

15 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Sounds amazing !  Any way to put all this work into a mod pack?

Most of these can be done from that mod :) however there is a bunch of my configurations that are too instable yet for me to put them in the mod (it haven't been updated in ages but I still plan on making it more advanced once I know my other worldgen changes works flawlessly), like you can place wormholes where you want but not configure linking atm, or cave reshaping, the closer cave exits are there though.

For people wanting medium islands and hating small islands and people wanting small islands i think a compromise would be possible.

You know we have worldgen shape options like Branches and Loops?

What if we had "Fragmentation" option?

None - Classic non fragmented mainland shape

Less - Mainland fragmented into few big islands

More - Mainland fragmented into several medium sized islands

Always - Shipwrecked like fragmentation for the mainland. (Lots of small islands)

I wonder how well that would work and how hard it would be to implement.

Loops and Branches would kind of synergize with this aswell for example setting Loops to Always and land Fragmentation to Always would yield a map that is circle made of small islands (kind of like an Atoll) with a chance for stuff like Lunar or Moon Quay islands to generate in the middle too.

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It WILL work.. you just have to have every player in the world transition to the two new shards so the old shards can off-load.

It *could* be possible, but I don't think it will be done anytime soon. One would also need to remake most of SW and Hamlet's code so they could run properly.

I love the shipwrecked layout, it is so much more adventurous than DST because it takes a long time to discover everything (as opposed to 10 days or so) and I like the idea of having to build a boat to get around.   The weather animations are fantastic and I find survival harder in Shipwrecked, especially if you don't get off to a good start.   Boats are better as well and there is so much cool content you can build in the ocean.

So, yes, lots of Islands!

Archived