leaky oil fissure is useless

It produce 350g oil per second, with active-dormant period 0.5 cycle. If my understanding is correct, it produce 175g of oil per second, which is 20 times less then oil well.

What the meaning of it? I'm not sure what is even more useless - CO2 or it

Disregarding any possible argument for the use case of .175 kg/s of crude oil, like, maybe for rockets? Or perhaps utilizing the temperature at which the oil comes out for something,  I think its worth mentioning that the leaky oil fissure is one of the geysers that requires only abyysalite to be buffed by the geotuner, so like, you could pretty easily have some of them buffing your leaky oil fissure to what would be fairly notable levels especially considering what one puts in.  

Au contraire. The Leaky Oil Fissure is a low-cost, low effort alternative to produce Crude Oil that works very well and only requires a little cooling. In my current map, I have two and I have absolutely no reason to get Crude Oil any other way. Of course if you use Oil to generate energy, then it is really useless for that. But it works quite nicely to supply rocket fuel and plastic production. 

It's far from useless, but it's only really useful if you acquire one before getting oil normally and it's only useful for purposes that are not the Petroleum Generator.

Like say you find a Leaky Oil Fissure on cycle 20 and uncork it so the oil can drip into a cooling off pit. Now let's say at cycle 80 you decide you want to do something with oil. In that time it has leaked out around 6000 kg of oil.

If you're me you might put that oil in a Metal Refinery on a closed loop until it boils into petroleum and drips below, getting 100% conversion without having to bother with a petroleum boiler. Or I might just use an Oil Refinery and accept the loss of half. So then a Polymer Press turns it into about 3600 or 1800 kg of plastic. Is that enough to do everything petroleum/plastic you could ever want to? Well, no. But you can make a bunch of very useful stuff that needs plastic¸like Steam Turbines, Wall Toilets, an Oxylite Refinery, some High Pressure Vents, some selective use of plastic ladders and plastic beds. It's also enough petroleum to do quite a few trips in a Small Petroleum Engine. And of course, that oil keeps leaking out, if you aren't a heavy user of petroleum rockets, you could probably sustain your petroleum rocketry program for all time on a single leaky oil fissure.

The good thing about the Leaky Oil Fissure is its trivial productive, unlike the Oil Well which requires a water source, duplicant labor, and (generally) heat protection for the duplicant, meaning suit docks. The Leaky Oil Fissure is literally free useful stuff until the heat accumulation becomes bothersome,and then it's a trivial fraction of an ST/AQ to cool.

The CO2 vent generally sucks (outside of certain cases in Spaced Out) because CO2 isn't useful, and getting free useless stuff isn't very appreciated. But crude oil is very useful, and getting free useful stuff even in small quantities should be appreciated.

Ok, make sense. It could be usefull for small bases and for very early game.

However, 

Spoiler

it is useless for my gameplay

Spoiler

Because as usual at cycle 80 I'm already in oil biome working with petroleum generators

9 hours ago, asurendra said:

Its balance feature: some geysers supposed to be not really useful. The same is true for pO2 geysers

I believe that it's an automatic and sustainable alternative to oil wells - I personally drip the oil onto tempshift metal tiles that lead into a steam box so I can cool it down, before either sending it to a boiler, refinery, or a larger tank. 

Polluted oxygen geysers (not the hot ones) can have at least a bunch of deodorizers being fed regolith which can generate extra oxygen, or a source of food for pufts. (Although I pretty much just put a pool of pwater below the puft ranch so they can take some of my germy water away)

Here's the one I've tamed in my current game. I'm using the heat from the fissure plus a niobium aquatuner tied into my main cooling loop to generate some power for the base. The hot oil then gets piped down through my Slickster room to help keep it warm, before going to the refinery. I don't use petroleum boilers as I've never needed so much petroleum as to justify building it, plus I don't like dealing with sour gas. I use the same basic design for hydrogen and hot polluted oxygen. The free oil helps save me some water as well by not having to pump it down a well.

image.thumb.png.7296b62ff0de9103d7aeb20f4361ffde.png

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 6.32.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 6.32.26 PM.png

On 5/10/2023 at 1:32 AM, asurendra said:

100g per second. While kilos of slime literally falling from the sky :)

What if you choose to blast meteors :angel:

silly unanswerable questions aside, are meteors really a consistent source of material? I feel like the amount that they output can vary so much i would feel "shakey" about using them for anything other than passing boosts

On 5/6/2023 at 3:17 PM, degr said:
  Hide contents

it is useless for my gameplay

Hide contents

Because as usual at cycle 80 I'm already in oil biome working with petroleum generators

Obviously everything isn't for everyone

16 hours ago, MinhPham said:

free

Not really free. It takes up a slot from generated geysers. Or to say, having it means having 1 less other more useful geysers. (But I do agree the idea of asurendra, it is a balance isuue.)

By the way, I don’t think PO2 geysers are totally useless. Certain asteroid (Yes, it is you, the marshy one.) can’t generate water-related geysers. So it becomes essential for life-supporting. 100g/s is just the exact O2 consumption rate of 1 dupe. So with it, you may run a tiny colony there without using payloads. (Filtration is not an isuue, because you have an alternative  purification method by colling pO2 to liquid then heat it back to gas state.)

Most people build petrol boilers that converts 10kg/s crude into petrol by heating.

To get the crude you use oil wells. However, an oil well produces 3.33kg/s of crude oil assuming they're pressure released in a timely manor, otherwise less.

So 3 oil wells don't actually equal 10kg/s crude for a petrol boiler. You're 10g/s short.

So you can either limit the petrol boiler to 9.99kg/s instead and still risk coming short occasionally.

Or you need a secondary source of crude which can be an oil fissure or a small slicker ranch. Both will provide a small amount of crude to keep the petrol boiler running at full capacity, and with a little excess that you can store for liquid locks and other build projects where you need a few drops or kgs of crude.

On 5/10/2023 at 3:32 AM, asurendra said:

100g per second. While kilos of slime literally falling from the sky :)

A Puft ranch with an external source of Polluted Oxygen (either a geyser or a Morb room) and an Algae Distiller becomes a source of Polluted Water. Very useful if you don't have another source on a particular planetoid, like the one with the tree.

Archived