Unlikely addition: Vargphant

Quite simply put, the Vargphant was an unused Lunar Moontation that never made it into the final game.
I try not suggesting old unused content because everything that was cute/unused went that way for a reason.

However, in light of the new lunar focus, I think it'd be neat to bring this back.
It's a simple suggestion, most of what's required is already there, and I still think it'd be a fun addition as it'd be the first proper mob to drop both types of meat! Monster and normal meat, as the mob is a fusion between a Varg and a Koalephant.

It could potentially be found during Moonstorm hunts, or maybe even hunts on the Lunar island.
As for it's summons, Horror Hounds sound like the obvious choice (And seems fair, as they're weaker than hounds!) but it'd also be equally funny in a morbid sense if it's own hound summons were to turn on it, instead. There's room to play with the idea.

SPOILER_image.png

I'd honestly take anything to make lunar stuff seem more fleshed out. Lunar island is basically the same as it was back in turn of tides, the start of return of them. 

Little things like the mutant birds spawning on it, the chance of Lunar hunts (which could also appear during moonstorms) and your very own lunar spillage idea could really help tie it all together as this sort of invasive mutating force. It's weird that crows aren't mutated on the lunar island when even lobsters are.

On another note, it'd be cool if a special sinkhole appeared on the Lunar Island and connected to the grotto, since they're canonically on top of one another

9 hours ago, Cassielu said:

It doesn't look like a lunar mutant enough

Grass Gator was always intended for Waterlogged!

Also what in which way? The design was made around the same time as Horror Hounds and Moonrock Pengulls. It's a flesh mutant, not a plant mutant!
I think it fits when put next to the other flesh mutants like Naked Molebats and Horror Hounds.

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

Grass Gator was always intended for Waterlogged!

I remember during the RWP stream, the artist said this while showing the GarssGator's concept art.

It's kind of like... Not sick enough? Horror Hounds have pale skin and wide mouths, Moonrok Penguins are literally frozen skeletons, and even Moonblind Crow have Messy feathers and bit of bare skin.

But Vargphant looks health and more like a classic Dont Starve synthetic creature, no significantly different from Catcoon, Moleworm and Koalefant.

2 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

But Vargphant looks health and more like a classic Dont Starve synthetic creature, no significantly different from Catcoon, Moleworm and Koalefant

I mean it has tumors(?) coming out of its body and those white things on its torso which i think are small horns. I think it fita the “altered” aspect pretty nice and itd be cool to see them in the game

11 minutes ago, Dextops said:

I mean it has tumors(?) coming out of its body and those white things on its torso which i think are small horns.

Yes, I know. It's just that I don't think two balls are enough to distinguish it from The "normal animal" in The Constant.  The world is already full of strange creatures.

Koalefant also has those little horns, so it's not a feature.

15 minutes ago, Dextops said:

I mean it has tumors(?) coming out of its body and those white things on its torso which i think are small horns. I think it fita the “altered” aspect pretty nice and itd be cool to see them in the game

i think those are eyes actually? they look similar to the Varg's.

4 hours ago, Cassielu said:

It's kind of like... Not sick enough? Horror Hounds have pale skin and wide mouths, Moonrok Penguins are literally frozen skeletons, and even Moonblind Crow have Messy feathers and bit of bare skin.

I find it way more revolting to look at than either of the above. This isn't "what do you get if you cross a varg and a koalefant". This is a chimera created by the horrific fusion of two distinct creatures. The koalefant's trunk has become the chimera's tail and the koalefant's eyes are on its backside? This is some grade A body horror crap right there, and if I never look at it again, it'll be too soon.

Archived