Silly question of the day

Its a new type of damage.  So a Dark Sword swings for 68 damage per hit, but its all normal damage.  Normal damage is blocked by armor.  Planar damage is a second type of damage that 100% ignores player armor that isn't planar.  Mobs with planar tag also take significantly reduced damage from non-planar sources.  Also damage mods like Wolfgang's mighty form don't work with planar damage at all.

There is more to it under the hood, but that is the gist of it.

46 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Its a new type of damage.  So a Dark Sword swings for 68 damage per hit, but its all normal damage.  Normal damage is blocked by armor.  Planar damage is a second type of damage that 100% ignores player armor that isn't planar.

wdym "new"? Ghosts already had "planar damage" - their 10 damage pierces any armor

12 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Its a new type of damage.  So a Dark Sword swings for 68 damage per hit, but its all normal damage.  Normal damage is blocked by armor.  Planar damage is a second type of damage that 100% ignores player armor that isn't planar.  Mobs with planar tag also take significantly reduced damage from non-planar sources.  Also damage mods like Wolfgang's mighty form don't work with planar damage at all.

There is more to it under the hood, but that is the gist of it.

Thank you very much for the explanation! So what are the creatures right now that have the planar tag, and what items have it?

7 minutes ago, Roodmas said:

Thank you very much for the explanation! So what are the creatures right now that have the planar tag, and what items have it?

Dreadstone armour has a bit of planar defence, the new Brightshade armour has a lot more planar defence and the new Brightshade sword has almost half of it's damage as planar damage, bombs seem to have it too, don't know about the staff it'd probably be safe to say that it also has it though.

10 hours ago, yourAnty said:

Dreadstone armour has a bit of planar defence, the new Brightshade armour has a lot more planar defence and the new Brightshade sword has almost half of it's damage as planar damage, bombs seem to have it too, don't know about the staff it'd probably be safe to say that it also has it though.

So if I understand correctly from the initial explanation, this is what happens now:

Normal weapons deal reduced damage to normal armor.

Normal weapons deal reduced damage to planar armor.

Planar weapons deal reduced damage to planar armor.

Planar weapons deal full damage to normal armor.

So based on this, what is the point of something like the Brightshade Sword? You could use it in pvp against someone with a Football Helmet, I guess... or against mobs with the planar tag, which if I understand correctly is only the new flower. Or am I wrong?

2 hours ago, Roodmas said:

So if I understand correctly from the initial explanation, this is what happens now:

Normal weapons deal reduced damage to normal armor.

Normal weapons deal reduced damage to planar armor.

Planar weapons deal reduced damage to planar armor.

Planar weapons deal full damage to normal armor.

So based on this, what is the point of something like the Brightshade Sword? You could use it in pvp against someone with a Football Helmet, I guess... or against mobs with the planar tag, which if I understand correctly is only the new flower. Or am I wrong?

Yeah basically.  The idea is that Klei is going to put in more creatures with this tag as the new "end game loop."

I'm not looking forward to it, but that's where we are.

Archived