How to deal with the new meteorites (without blasting them and still have solar)

Why not just add a upwards facing miner to the old floating miner setup?:

313233359_Screenshotfrom2023-05-2615-51-28.thumb.png.e54f72ecf0ff458676bd951cfbee7aa4.png

Use automation to open the airlock doors briefly each time the bunker doors open after a meteor shower.  You don't even have to gas cool them now with conduction panels

13 hours ago, Gurgel said:

but you probably lose a lot more energy than what you get by the additional solar. 

What about using the waste heat from metal refinery? You may have them working at a high priority and only when the bunker doors are under target temperature. This can be achieved by adding a heat buffer and monitoring its temperature.

17 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Why not just add a upwards facing miner to the old floating miner setup?:

313233359_Screenshotfrom2023-05-2615-51-28.thumb.png.e54f72ecf0ff458676bd951cfbee7aa4.png

Use automation to open the airlock doors briefly each time the bunker doors open after a meteor shower.  You don't even have to gas cool them now with conduction panels

Does not work. You cannot mine through bunker doors, and the new meteorites create non-falling tiles. 

On 5/25/2023 at 2:54 AM, fpx007 said:

Currently, the meteor-created blocks that don’t fall includes oxylite, slime (and its heated product), and refined phosphuros (from melted and resolidified phosphorite)

There is also uranium which can't be automined.

Possibly we are wrong at trying universal solution. Are there asteroids with both harmful and sticky showers? So far I don't meet asteroid where I need bunker door and I need to dig algae at same time. So, some robominers just  sitting under mesh-tile cross-digging and some use doors, but don't need to dig tiles. But possibly I just lucky in this area

Also, are there pattern in showers timing? On vanilla game showers was in order and can be perfectly timed, but I don't get it on DLC yet

5 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

Possibly we are wrong at trying universal solution. Are there asteroids with both harmful and sticky showers?

The solution here is for destructive (metal) and tile forming (slime) both being present. My current main asteroid has that. I have added a note to the first post in case that was really unclear.

If you only have either but not both, it gets much more simple and something most players can figure out on their own I would think. But having both is tricky and requires a long observation period to be sure it works, hence I decided to post my solution. 

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

The solution here is for destructive (metal) and tile forming (slime) both being present. My current main asteroid has that. I have added a note to the first post in case that was really unclear.

If you only have either but not both, it gets much more simple and something most players can figure out on their own I would think. But having both is tricky and requires a long observation period to be sure it works, hence I decided to post my solution. 

Thanks for sharing your solution... I am currently looking for solution for my asteroid (it has both types of meteors), I am definitely using yours. I suppose distance between upper miners/bunker doors/lower miners is range of miners, right?

1 hour ago, Jurij I. Gorkij said:

I suppose distance between upper miners/bunker doors/lower miners is range of miners, right?

Yes for both. My intuition is that you can move the upper ones down to 3 or 4 free tiles between them and the bunker doors and the lower ones up so that the space scanners just fit under the bunker doors. I did not try that, but I had ample space. The solar panels are then down enough so that they do not influence the space scanners.

Just to throw a suggestion to the dev: Maybe if the space scanner could tell the difference between the type of meteor it could help player to build a system that can manage both the destructive and tile forming meteor? In other word, instead the space scanner sending a ON signal if it see any kind of meteor, we could set up a scanner to send the ON signal only if it see a tile forming meteor (after the meteor is identified by a telescope); same thing for destructive meteor.

3 hours ago, Jurij I. Gorkij said:

Thinking of it, why is lower row of miners needed? If given enough time, wouldn't upper row of miners remove all solid tiles so only debris will fall trough bunker doors?

Falling regolith forms new tiles and so does slime that was mined but got heated up enough afterwards to form dirt. For the dirt case, you can see that for example on top of the leftmost miner.

I just love Klei :-D

Yesterday, I've finished building your design to solve asteroid problem on my planetoid, today news from Klei (new update on testing branch).

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • Robo-Miners can now mine through open doors.
    • Space Scanners have significantly changed
      • Network quality is now based on the total percentage of sky coverage: 50% of the sky provides 100% network quality.
      • Focus is now on network quality rather than individual scanner quality.
      • Industrial machinery no longer impacts network quality.
      • Automation is synchronized between all Space Scanners targeting the same object. This means they go green/red at the same time.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:07 PM, Jurij I. Gorkij said:

I just love Klei :-D

Yesterday, I've finished building your design to solve asteroid problem on my planetoid, today news from Klei (new update on testing branch).

Hahaha, yes, just saw that too. But I think this thread may have had some impact on that decision! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: 

I'm doing approximately same build (with difference I open doors just after meteor shower is ended, and after 5 sec delay close them). What I want to add, I'm using petroleum as a medium, which collect heat from bunker doors and from regolith by itself, and then use that heat with steam turbines.

On 5/29/2023 at 7:21 AM, Prince Mandor said:

Anybody knows, can Beetas survive in vacuum? How fast they 'mine' 15 kg tile?

On 5/29/2023 at 10:50 PM, Farsight said:

Beetas don't need to breathe. They just need their temperature to be safe and cold. So yeah, vacuum is fine as long as they start/stay cold.

No animal (except  weezewurts) needs to breath I think

Archived