What do you think of a simple concept to improve navigation in the ocean?

When traversing on land in Don't Starve be it in the overworld or the caves, the biomes turf and resources around you always make it clear with what is in your vicinity and what you can expect to find around you. This isn't really present when boating however as there are few distinguishing landmarks out on the ocean. I would think of it as if all the forests and grass turfs were the same, so you had no idea if you were near pig king or mandrakes.

My simple idea is to make sea stacks have slightly altered appearances if they are near specific structures. If there isn't anything within a certain range of them, then they appear as normal sea stacks, but if there is a patch of salt formations nearby, the sea stacks in a wide area around it could have white lines of salt veins running through them. Mining them wouldn't yield salt, it just lets you know you are in the right area.

Then having moss on sea stacks for the mangrove biome, moon rock veins for the lunar island, maybe some Moonquay banners for that island, small sea weeds for the cluster of sea weeds, and barnacles or shells indented for crab king and peal's island. It wouldn't change them from just dropping rocks, but it would let the player know they are within a biome sized area of important sea formations so they know they are looking on the right side of the map.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i personally dont really like how predictable is world gen so for me is welcome that the sea seems to be trully random for the moment 

In a game that’s advertised and sold to me as being able to explore randomly generated worlds, NOTHING Ruins that worse then biomes and what can be found in those biomes being so predictable.

And what’s funny as hell about that is- given enough time and maybe 300+ game world days, the PLAYER can Remodel the game world to their own liking.. (Aka you can move Palmcone Trees from MoonQuay Island to the Oasis Desert, or take Grass Tufts out of the Beefalo Savannah and move them into a swamp, or you can even craft a Beefalo bell and painstakingly drag all the Beefalo to another location on the surface or caves with enough time.)

I feel like this is an Insult to people like me who want the way my worlds generate to be well… a little more “Random”

My only REAL problem with Ocean Content is it can be so boring traveling between points of Nothingness till you get to a point of interest. An easily solvable solution, if we just had some under the water impossible to see or interact with, completely randomized mob/resource spawners.

Im begging Klei to throw the predictable way world content is generated in the trash in the coming years and let my randomized game be more Randomized.

The TL:DR- If I can take 300 game world days to gather a resource or mob and move it to a new location: Why the heck can’t those mobs/resources just spawn in those locations randomly & naturally when first generating a world? My Beefalo are currently chilling in the Lunar Grotto cause I MOVED them There but the fact I CAN move them there proves the game is capable of more randomization. If Grass Tufts could’ve ONLY been replanted in the Savannah Biome and not moved someplace else I wouldn’t be pushing so hard for this seemingly impossible massive world Gen change.

Remember that before the server options were fixed and you put everything on lots absolutely everything spawned everywhere? I feel like that would happen if things were allowed to spawn more places than their biome and it would also complicate things if per say beefs could spawn in forests and stuff then you have to look everywhere because you can't rely on the fact that they always spawn in savannas 

6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

the wave graphics have various intensity and the water deepness has darker colors. though i'll admit it's not very easy to tell apart

The waves are a much better way to tell what water you are in and anchor deploy time is longer too depending on depth

19 minutes ago, Well-met said:

This already exists, the wave graphics have various intensity and the water deepness has darker colors. though i'll admit it's not very easy to tell apart

This is true and what I was thinking of mentioning halfway through reading the post, though I think some more ways of navigation and observing the environment to learn and determine where important landmarks(oceanmarks? seamarks?) can spawn. Salt Shoals and Sea Weeds generate in Swell and Rough waters respectively, though those areas of the ocean are massive, and while they work as a starting point, I think it wouldn't hurt to have a few more indications of finding those places. Though I'm not a fan of just having different sea stacks as proposed in main post.

I've always thought it'd be great if fleeing monkey raids went in the general direction of the monkey island. It wouldn't be a simple "Here's the exact spot on the map" like Pearl's message bottles, but would provide a general direction/sense for the player to start exploring, and if another raid happens along the way it can help to narrow it even further til you finally locate it. I know several people and myself included thought this was how it already worked on update release! Haha, was disappointed to find out they just flee in a random direction.

44 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Sure, but with variance in direction(E.g., give or take 45 degrees offset)

Atleast this would make it so i don't have to boat around forever because the monkeys decided to hide somewhere on the map i would never go to

Reworked Monkey raids - to not have to tank as only fighting option. And perhaps something done about the damage they inflict upon boats, even with bumpers: smashing stuff and causing leaks, effectively (in lack of Jam) making ships into ugly, patched "Swiss cheeses". Maybe also reduce the raids area to 1/3-1/4 of map, around Moon Quay Island (also transforming raids into reliable indicators of Quay's location).

5 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Reworked Monkey raids - to not have to tank as only fighting option. And perhaps something done about the damage they inflict upon boats, even with bumpers: smashing stuff and causing leaks, effectively (in lack of Jam) transforming it into ugly, patched "Swiss cheese". Maybe also reduce the raids area to 1/3-1/4 of map, around Moon Quay Island (also transforming raids into reliable indicators of Quay's location).

Idea: After the first bump, some of the monkey got stun for few secs because of collision. Only [the amount of players on boat] + 1~2 monkey can get through and do the attack.

Idea 2: Make the captain command the attack, sync all monkey attack at the same time. This allow you to not be stun lock permanent when 6 monkeys surround you, also allow you to dodge some of the attack when run at the right time.

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I feel like this is an Insult to people like me who want the way my worlds generate to be well… a little more “Random”

idk it used to be that if you set everything to "lots" that it would literally exist all over and everywhere.  Maybe they could bring back these settings for more randomness.  I know that a lot of people like playing games with added randomness.

For me I appreciate that the game has a consistent logic.  I find beefalo in the place where they would exist - a flat grassland.  I find spiders where they would exist - a dense forest.  etc.  Every world I'm exploring to find where things are *in this world*  I'm not expecting to find something actually completely new, but the relational positions of things and oddities that occur in worldgen definitely keep me interested.

They call it "randomly generated" but the real term is "procedurally generated," which means the map is created for each game session, but its not really random.  In other procedurally generated worlds there are usually tells that let you know what you'll find and where, its just not in the same place every time.

------------

As for the OP - I'm with you on this.  It would be nice if the core of the set pieces bled out a bit more into the world around them.  The simple layers of ocean just aren't good enough...  Fish spawning could be tied to land and sea biomes instead of only tied to depth.  Randomly spawning debris like grass / twigs / driftwood could too.

I really liked Ocean content when it first launched but to me it feels like every addition is just another reason NOT to go boating.  I think aiding navigation like this would help make the ocean more welcoming.  If they can't do that, they should at LEAST give a Spyglass like they had in SW so we can at least scope out the areas around us without having to paddle day after day every which way just to find a tall tree or moonquay.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

they should at LEAST give a Spyglass like they had in SW so we can at least scope out the areas around us without having to paddle day after day every which way just to find a tall tree or moonquay.

Another use for deerclops eye?

Archived