Lobby Beta Testing, Spools giveaway!

Not sure if I tested right things, but here is my beta experience (tested on vanilla dedicated servers: in beta - 227 ping, in live branch - 217 ping (for comparison); in beta branch people joined peroidically but didn't stay for long, in live branch there were no other players on the server except for me).

Going into the caves and out works fine, loading times both ways seem to be identical to live branch (around 30s in my case), as well as time when character is loaded but player has no control over it (around 15s(!), measured with torch durability). In beta branch I played for about 10 days, 4 of which were spent in the caves during which I was chased by hordes of monkeys, experienced earthquakes and loaded areas with lots of nightmares and clockworks - everything worked fine, there were no crashes or jumps. I had yellow connection in beta branch in general while in live branch sometimes it was red, sometimes - yellow.

As for smoothness of experience, I tried to kill butterflies with fist and fight shadows (crawling horror, terrorbeak) in both beta and live versions. While in live branch I couldn't kill butterflies due to constant jumps and "teleportations", in beta branch I was able to do it in roughly 50% of the cases; in general running in beta seems smoother, although there is still quite noticeble delay between player input and actual action in-game. Difference between branches was noticeble in case shadows: in beta I was able to 2-hit crawling horrors on beefalo consistently without getting hit back, in case terrorbeaks it wasn't consistent success, but I managed to do it sometimes; in live branch I was unable to 2-hit terrorbeaks at all even on foot (it was spring so I couldn't really test it on beefalo), in case crawling horrors 2-hitting without reciving damage back was inconsistent. Maybe this difference is due to some other thing, but if not, it's moderately noticeble improvement. Not too much of improvement though when it comes to picking things while holding action button, in fact, it seemed like there was no difference between beta and live branches in that regard, and it was very long delay in both cases.

Edit: I used "Lag Compensation: None" setting the entire time.

I quite don't get it what are the requirements to obtain the 1000 spools on beta. Like you just need to download it? Or you need to play tot days in the game? Can I test in a normal world with my friends or we need to go a pubblic server by force. Or else?

So. I decided to dip my d... toes into this Beta. (By no means I was incentivized via those 1000 promised Spools, I swear on the life of a Catcoon trembling in front of some starving Wigfrid! *Thumbs-up*)
It went.. not quite well. Lemme elaborate.

Chose Beta, selected "Any" for servers, to see a whooping total of.. 72. Among them only 15 showed the actual ping even after waiting a lot in lobby to load data and such. Hence solely ~21% of total servers available didn't show "???" ping estimation fault as per print-screen below.

00_ping-estimation.thumb.jpg.7b27d7050975cdbea005981c1ccc37f5.jpg

I've refreshed a couple of times for around 10 minutes, but it never went over 30% of available servers with effective ping displayed. Thus I suppose the "???" ping error hasn't been fixed (?!). Anyway.

Now for actual game-play with allegedly-improved "Lag Compensation: Predictive".
Hopped into 1st dedicated server with best ping related to my location. Needless to say over 200 ping isn't anything people could call "best", but for purpose of testing predictive lag, let's say was acceptable. Details in following spoiler.

Spoiler

02_lag-compensation_predictive.thumb.jpg.00df9295b183e704e3d5614e3a596f7d.jpg

01_joining-random-server.thumb.jpg.c95a2ccd861d5a70166c8606a47acc7b.jpg

(Don't know the owner or that displayed discord, was purely random on account of said "best ping available")

Tried, freshly out-of-gate, to hit a Butterfly. Tried hard and mighty, but that rascal wasn't going down: did some backflips and off it flew into the sunset.

Spoiler

03_cant-hit-butterfly.thumb.jpg.98065d4ae3bb7476cc8c663b902d964a.jpg

Next tried to kite some mobs: random mechanical horsey, snail-speed shadow Crawler, feisty Terror and its dreaded beak, friendly neighborhood Tallbirb. Accent on "tried". Because my trials and tribulations weren't crowned with any success. Oh well, probably bold of me to expect default "ftw" in >200 ping context. The epic print-screen fails of my story in spoiler below.

Spoiler

04_cant-kite_chesspiece.thumb.jpg.2268018fde088bc3f64b9bebff80ebb3.jpg

05_cant-kite_shadow-crawler.thumb.jpg.b05b30df49e74d0d8269a63ca2c2f375.jpg

06_checking-ping_forest.thumb.jpg.7b963c7604438a0e01c27042a3402615.jpg
(checking ping/connectivity from time-to-time; wasn't always over 200, but.. "close enough, eh")

07_checking-ping_caves.thumb.jpg.896db21cf8fd442711d86db4b2183893.jpg
(checking Caves shard as per main Beta's allegedly-improvement "attraction")

08_cant-kite_shadows.thumb.jpg.ecf331c0f95508b42cbcb720befb863d.jpg

09_cant-kite_tall-bird.thumb.jpg.51b6264b7795c5846438349703273d93.jpg

Following, I went to Ruins. Nothing spectacular(ly failing) happened down there, mostly tanked like a chump some Bishops and tried (again, accent on "tried") to kite Knights. Looted a bit around Main Pseudo-station to make 2 Thule Crowns & a Suit, because of course I forgot to bring Living Logs for Starcaller Staff. Ah, I've omitted this: was a no-backpack run, out of curiosity. I didn't fancy it, since felt I gained nothing out, not even experience.

Lastly did a Klaus and "obligatory" Deerclops fights. By this point I ditched "Lag Compensation: Predictive", otherwise I wouldn't have been able to kite it and probably forced to abandon fight mid-way. As an irony for the Survival pub I picked: one of the 2 Krampi summoned by Big Red pooped a Sack - spoiler below.

Spoiler

10_doing-klaus_krampus-sack-dropped.thumb.jpg.cb54d975a9dca23ca732a7b30493e337.jpg

All-in-all I can't say I was impressed by nothing OP underlined for this Beta. Am sure my >200 ping pub test factored heavily, but I didn't felt any difference in relation to current game version for live servers when playing 200 ping servers and "Lag Prediction: On". Ah, transition between shards, at least in my case, also didn't feel different, takes around 30s-or-so to pass through. Oh well, hello 1000 Spools promise aa.. a nice pub run play with randoms and chat shenanigans.

Spoiler

Farewell, random Beta pub, micro-camp & loot. Cheers!
11_endrun_mini-camp-and-loot.thumb.jpg.9568fd889d7acb83cc01edf3ba54e7f5.jpg

11_endrun_server.thumb.jpg.0dc16a0f9fa8a4cd169a8363cb9aef33.jpg

42 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I ditched "Lag Compensation: Predictive"

I just wanted to clarify in addition to my own test that I used "Lag Compensation: None" entire time. I didn't understand what exactly needed to be tested - real stability and smoothness or work of lag compensation settings, - and thus used more comfortable to me setting, but I'm mentioning it there in case it matters.

45 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

I just wanted to clarify in addition to my own test that I used "Lag Compensation: None" entire time. I didn't understand what exactly needed to be tested - real stability and smoothness or work of lag compensation settings, - and thus used more comfortable to me setting, but I'm mentioning it there in case it matters.

I believe both transiting shards and Lag Compensation (On) are supposed to be tested, maybe also Cave shard stability (saw over time some people complaining they lag on personal servers when enabling Caves). Perhaps re-worked Lag Compensation works well for pubs in 50-100/150 ping range. Anything above that probably feels more-or-less the same as current DST servers' iteration.

OK I did it, I was always getting disconnected from public server in first 5 seconds. Always.

So I hosted a solo server, with cave, checked caves out, got back up, no issue. I don't know why I couldn't stay for more than 5 seconds on another players' server.

23 minutes ago, xEUx said:

how exactly do you qualify to get the spools? im not getting it. If i participate in any server in beta for any duration before Jan 15th, i get it? 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:16 AM, PeterA said:

Everyone who participates in the beta will get 1000 Spool on January 16th.

36 minutes ago, xEUx said:

thank you. not exactly explanatory in detail but guess ill wait and see if i dont get it to complain the lack of explanation.

Most likely anyone installing the Beta will get said spools regardless of playing it or not. But to be sure, jump into some random world and in a Cave.

4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Most likely anyone installing the Beta will get said spools regardless of playing it or not. But to be sure, jump into some random world and in a Cave.

Thank you! I'll make sure to check all the boxes.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:51 AM, PeterA said:

Hey everyone!

For the last week we've been running a beta build to test out our new lobby servers and networking changes. We'd like to get more participation to ensure everything is running smoothly before the Year of the Rabbit update comes out. We know testing the lobby server may not be super exciting, so we're going to offer up some Spools! To qualify for the 1000 Spools, participants will want to be sure to opt in to the beta and play DST before January 15th.

To opt in to the beta, you can follow the instructions here: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/106156-how-to-opt-in-to-the-beta-branch-for-dont-starve-together/

If you run in to any issues with the beta, you can post them in the Beta Branch bug tracker here: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together-beta-branch/

Have fun!

um... i played the beta branch, can i change the beta verson to the normal verson and i get 1000 spools?

Archived