Favorite Character And Playstyle!

Hello everyone I am doing a quick survey for a video. 
Its going to be about how characters interact with the dst world  And what characters are best suited for the challenges that the world offers.

I will start off here In that My favorite is using wendy

Because having Abigail Is always useful It allows the player to roam and not have to worry about small things since you have a minion that can aggro and deaggro creatures at will.
This is a perk that never becomes useless through the entirety of the game and is easy to use.
you can share both here and on the form link  for the survey. I really want to see what would be considered the actual meta of DST.

https://forms.gle/iBWquVBbSJtDMWrN6

wilson is cool since hes just default
wolfgang is cool because hes funny talkin sounds
wickerbotom is cool she got many supportive magic books
wigfried is cool for all these helmets she gives to you
webber is cool that he can just be next to spiders
warly is cool with all his amazing food
wortox is cool in the way that he got teleportation to the other side of the map and 1 skin of his is a dragon
wurt is cool all stuff with merm kingdom and takes over the world
walter is cool on that he got easy range and movement stuff and more inventory

thats all cool, wish there was now an actual lizard character, then the reason for that to be cool would be just lizard

I like playing Wortox, because I love being able to teleport wherever I please, it's pretty good (walking is boring), plus the ability to live off of souls only is pretty great too and last, but not least - healing. I love healers in games, so having the ability to heal people is nice, especially in early game.

If I'm planning on playing for a long time however(so usually when in solo), I tend to pick Wurt, for a number of reasons:

1. almost no fighting. gonna admit, I'm not the most skilled player, so the ability to just spam merm guards and destroy most of surface bosses is pretty handy.

2. easy gathering. Merms are amazing at wood/rock gathering. of course, they can't dig up the stumps, so at some point it's better to just pick the loot up and burn the stumps, but the quickness of deforestation and treeguard annihilation is worth it.

3. lesser perks: Frog neutrality, fish perks, high max stats, ability to trade with the king, faster walk speed on marsh turf, no penalties for drowning, immunity to most of wetness' drawbacks etc etc.

other than those two, I also enjoy playing Wickerbottom and, more recently, Maxwell.

Wickerbottom just has a bunch of cool abilities and Maxwell is good for multitasking and just doing stuff faster.

Just now, MadMatt said:

Woodie because you skip the annoying parts of ocean content, can farm bees and spiders quickly, and gather plenty of logs and rocks effectively and cheap. He basically turns boring slow parts of the game actually fun.

Love the were moose charge, too. Great against hound waves. 

I like playing Wanda because i like being efficient and i dislike wasting time walking so much or high health bosses with mechanics that are difficult to manage as a solo player, she is able to solve all my problems.

For numerous reasons she is probably the strongest character currently in the game and i'll explain why i think this is the case.

She is one of the best fighters even without backstep watch and probably is the best if you can use it correctly with invulnerability frames to dodge quite a few attacks in the game without having speed bonuses or to get more hits in. Her utility is also unmatched by any other character, so she is the best character at two of the most important things that you want to have.

When it comes to alarming clock, having range while only out damaged by wolfgang with dark swords in specific situations while her weapon is permanent and only requires nightmare fuel, there's not much to talk about why i believe she is the strongest fighter without much of an investment when it comes to resources.

Teleportation ability between shards with only a cooldown of one day on each watch she makes. It is so easy to be anywhere on the map at any given second if you have enough walrus tusks and that can be accomplished in the first winter, also as soon as you get the first watch and can teleport back to your base at any moment you are already half done as this will save a lot of your time in the long run even if you don't make any more backtrek watches in the first year. People exaggerate when they say that she needs multiple years to set up while this is true if you want a network for every biome but if you specifically set the watches on specific locations to cover most of the map you can reach any area faster than all other characters anyway, it doesn't need to be instant.

It is funny to see how so many people believe that her second chance watch is strong when all of her other watches are much more powerful and it is so easy to craft revival items, especially for Wanda when she has two ageless watches as they make Telltale Hearts even cheaper as health isn't a problem for her to recover without any cost as she doesn't need healing that often so she can spam them on cooldown and craft as many hearts to stockpile as she wants.

Rift watch lets her ignore beefalo taming completely, she can set up shadow pieces without wasting time and is able to teleport players to fuelweaver or any other boss at any given moment if she has enough purple gems, so if used sparingly you can get teammates to help you out in fights that they wouldn't want to walk to but will help you if you teleport them.

So i'll talk about inventory management now as that can be a problem to some players but this isn't really a downside as she can always teleport to base and drop off any loot and there's really no need to carry more than two ageless watches as you have high enough damage and you are going to use night armor 95% damage resistance while having backstep watch, most bosses aren't a problem but if you struggle you can just keep a few more ageless watches in chest and take them when you plan to fight them.

these are my favourites:

- Warly because has many tools to gather, fight and survive. Makes you want to experience non so used content like fishing or barnacles.

Is fun to think how to overcome his downside to recover sanity and health or to be at low sanity, the "sad" part is that volt goat jelly is that strong that usually it doesnt matter for how fast the fight ends

- woodie because changes a lot the gameplay with his wereforms. I like a lot the concept of "upside with downsides" mechanic that bring his forms.

Lately i don't feel like playing him because moon content is a chore as him

- Wendy because managing Abigail during boss fights is fun. She has many tricks which are fun to discover 

I wish she had more downsides to spice up the day to day gameplay and certain tweks on stats for consistency sake, also i think that her crafting tab needs some buffs or atleast increase the amount of materials you get from helping ghosts not because the elixirs are expensive but because usually you dont feel like wasting them except in specific scenarios (and most of the time is just the huge hp elixir) still very fun and more complex than most characters

- Wanda has unique health and really powerful perks. Cleaning the ruins as her is one of the funnier experience in the game. Is always hilarious to suddenly die because you forgot to rewind your age while building.

To mention something i dont like, with her i feel the opposite as playing warly, you dont need to experience much content since, once you have the basics, you only need honey, NF and tusks.

- Maxwell might be my choice to make a mega base (rip warly). Good dps in a lot of scenarios, good gathering perks for megabasing and cool spells to master. Is like a difficult wendy with gathering perks. Im having a lot of fun playing him.

- Wurt isnt a character that i will play again often (for sure i will play her again in a future to tests her last changes and buffs) but was the character that i have the most fun building and thinking how to take advantage of her perks. My longest world was as her, never played that much a single world as any character, for sure i will hsve more fun next time with that juicy QoL changes she got

- Wortox is a character i usually pick when i play with my newbie friends so i can protect them. I love his skins, voice and quotes. Glad they improved him with the global hop

- Wormwood is my favourite character to play with people that dont need the protection that wortox offers. Is hilarious, has the best art and his HP and sanity mechanic make his gameplay fresh enough (love to use shadow equipment+batbat and plant seeds to counter the sanity drain).

Best support perks plus the speed buff makes him veryfun

I didnt played him with the recent changes to his armor so for sure i will have more fun as him next time

I play solo, so I just go with Wolfgang due to his easy extra damage, but that's about all I get from him, he feels really lackluster compared to others. I could go with Wanda if i really wanted damage plus extra abilities, but I'm too forgetful so I'm sure I'd die too much. I just want to chill, build and kill everything, so wolf it is.

My all time favorite I always come back to is Wormwood. I think that a big part of DST is the roleplaying aspect of it and I am a hardcore plant dad IRL. Wormwood's perks are fabulous; making armor and producing early living logs with ease is amazing. Giant crop farming is so easy that in spring it just happens by accident. In terms of my personal playstyle, I am a basebuilder at heart and love being a support character to keep the fridge stocked from my garden, managing/sorting chests, building with efficiency in mind and landscaping. I love a lureplant farm as Wormwood to harvest mass grass and twigs, and I adore late game Wormwood where I've sprinkled random plots of crops around the world in my travels. I am able to solo a few bosses: AG, Klaus, Deerclops, Moose/Goose, Antlion, (I never try to kill bearger, always leave him alone away from my base or get treeguards to smack him), and I have killed dragonfly completely solo as Wormwood on day 15 before, but it was a stressful and unique situation. All other bosses I have killed with teammates at least once. With Wormwood you need a ton more prep for soloing. And I recently got into beefalo rearing but I don't enjoy it because of how much attention needs to be given especially in the early game, which I'd prefer to spend building base. Wormwood is also easily the best character for managing sanity in the game. That is, he is able to easily lose OR gain sanity at will. Some characters are only able to do that one way!

Second groups of characters I love: Wanda, Wickerbottom, and Wurt

I love all three of these because of the unique playstyle they each introduce, all 3 have a hard deadline to gather specific resources before day 21 lest they have a much weaker winter experience. Wanda needs to get her hands on thulecite before rainy, freez-y winter caves ruin everything. (And before that needs to rush a shadow manip for her arm to be complete again!). Wickerbottom needs to amass as many reeds as possible before winter prevents them from growing (in my personal opinion) in order to have far less limited book production. And Wurt needs to build tapestry and provide for a merm king before winter comes and prevents merms from leaving their houses in order to have her stats maxed and create an army of loyal guards. Wanda is the best character IMO to solo bosses with. Because of her backstep watch, the shadow pieces and Dfly fights are made much easier and the alarming clock of course make it so easy to fight off nightmare creatures, it's tricky to train yourself to stay insane for more nightmare fuel.

These are fun to me because of the unique setup innate to their perks.

3rd tier of characters I like are: WX, Wigfrid, and Wortox

These three make ruins rushing so easy (Wanda too) and in general, it makes gameplay so much easier as these characters, WX allows for less strict food management, and creative freedom of stat boosters (I personally take infinite night vision always and use either Speed II/Hunger II/HPII/Heat combo) Wigfrid is amazing for easy head armor for a team that doesn't cost the precious pig skin, and Wortox makes gameplay as a nomad extremely easy since you basically never need a crockpot, and can zip around the map with 0 set up. These are fun because of the lack of setup required for their perks.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:27 AM, MadMatt said:

Woodie because you skip the annoying parts of ocean content, can farm bees and spiders quickly, and gather plenty of logs and rocks effectively and cheap. He basically turns boring slow parts of the game actually fun.

boating isnt realy as bad as people say imo

13 minutes ago, GamePlayer42 said:

boating isnt realy as bad as people say imo

It 100% is, unless you're going from point A to B having a basic function such as movement be relegated to a quick time event or finnicky control with a steering wheel is NOT fun. Monkey raids, sea stacks, cookie cutters, rockjaws... I have only boated seriously once in my life and from that experience alone you will NEVER convince me to trade my silly goose for a pancake. 

8 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

It 100% is, unless you're going from point A to B having a basic function such as movement be relegated to a quick time event or finnicky control with a steering wheel is NOT fun. Monkey raids, sea stacks, cookie cutters, rockjaws... I have only boated seriously once in my life and from that experience alone you will NEVER convince me to trade my silly goose for a pancake. 

you dont like it, fine, but isnt boring and with the waterlogged changes it became way better

i just want to see all the reworks and qol done to get more ocean content so i have an excuse to sail more

6 hours ago, MadMatt said:

if you're using an oar, boating is actually pretty fun.

well, at least I find it fun, I guess tastes differ.

Archived