Pips not planting last seed in row

So I decided to make a superspecialized sleet wheat wild farm on solidified nuclear waste.
My pips have succesfully planted the first row of 12 plants.
HOWEVER on the second row they just don't want to plant the 12th grain.

There are two pips in the room and 3 grains right on top of the spot where I want them to be planted.

Troubleshooting/analysis so far:

-They can plant fine on the row below (I've kept 17 spaces empty to the right on this lower layer)
-I've restarted the game slowed the game down to 1x speed
-I've removed all plants in a 15 tile radius outside of the farm area

What else can I try?

20221124153445_1.jpg

11 minutes ago, LadenSwallow said:

Double check they haven't double planted in a cell nearby? Sometimes more than 1 pip will try burrowing at the same time in the same cell resulting in double the plants in 1 cell.

Yup that's exactly what happened!

I uprooted one of the plants in the adjecent sqaure and the pip immidiately planted the last tile!

Thanks LadenSwallow! You're an absolute genius!

20221124172743_1.jpg

On 11/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, tuxii said:

Delicious GMO sleet wheat grown in solid nuclear waste.  Ingredients fit for kings!

This is basically how early wheat GMOs were made, exposing fields to gamma rays and then selecting and interbreeding for desired traits. So, surprisingly realistic!

On 11/30/2022 at 6:28 AM, Jann5s said:

How much mass of nuclear waste do you need to get 250 rads?

Actually getting to 250 rads is not the critical thing here. The tricky part is to get enough liquid in there for it to form solid tiles and not just debris. I think you needed 1250Kg/tile to make that happen. So I used some infinite storage tricks to make that happen.

It's also worth considering how much time it costs to cool so many tons of nuclear waste down to freezing point. It required a row of 4 super coolant powered aqautuners and still took a couple dozen cycles 

On 12/17/2022 at 9:20 AM, MrJBlacc said:

Actually getting to 250 rads is not the critical thing here. The tricky part is to get enough liquid in there for it to form solid tiles and not just debris. I think you needed 1250Kg/tile to make that happen. So I used some infinite storage tricks to make that happen.

It's also worth considering how much time it costs to cool so many tons of nuclear waste down to freezing point. It required a row of 4 super coolant powered aqautuners and still took a couple dozen cycles 

Do you know: solid materials changing state to solid materials always form tile; bottles is solid (from game perspective). You can add debrises to tiles of same material using dispenser

Archived