PROJECT: Character synergy mapping

Hello there!

Building a team is a fun and interesting process. To me, a great team is build of characters that can help out each other. It would be interesting to map out how characters can help out each other in a way that isn't possible with every other character. 

What do we mean with "synergy"? 
I'll quote Pig Princess with this one: both cover weaknesses or absence of advantages of each other with their own advantages

For example;
Wilson + Willow, Bernie can help with Wilson's insanity and Wilson can provide Willow with beard-hair (so she can craft Bernies).

IMAGE EXPLANATION:
Orange line means we have found a one-way-benefit (ie: Warly supports Wolfgang, but there is no support from Wolfgang towards Warly)
Green line means we have found a both-way-benefit
No line means we haven't yet discussed this pair
(possibility to add red lines if no synergy is recognized)

Once we are done with all pairings, I'll gladly release some kind of a documentation of all of our findings. :) I would love to see Klei or either the modding community to fulfill the missing synergies - it's Don't Starve TOGETHER after all.

pairs.png

Wurt+Wicker is perfect. Books (sanity for Wurt), reeds (Wurt can pick it faster), crops.

Also rain don't bother Wurt, so she will not complain rainy summer

Also Wanda with Warly can rich unbelievable DPS, but it's not specific enough and can be also rich by character swapping 

willow+wendy: 2 followers plus bernie can help insane wendy

wurt+wormwood: veggies for wurt and rotten fish and protectiong for wormwood

wurt+warly: easy access to fish refipes for warly and wurt army can be buffed for fighting or gathering resources

woodie+wortox: wortox can heal woodie's were forms and woodie can unlock the map quickly so wortox can teleport

wicker+warly/wurt: farms and wicker can get benefits from warly/wurt perks. Constant raining isnt a problem for wurt and warly can benefit from volt goat jelly

wigfrid+wurt: wigfrid's songs heal wurt army and can give cheap armor to them while wurt can gather fish food for wigfrid which is the best in stats

wolfgang/woodie+warly: honey spice go brrr. Woodie can resist more in his moose form with garlic spice. Both can benefit from volt goat jelly, wolfg more tho

47 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

Wurt+Wicker is perfect. Books (sanity for Wurt), reeds (Wurt can pick it faster), crops.

Also rain don't bother Wurt, so she will not complain rainy summer

Wurt can also provide fast wood, stone and marble gathering which Wicker lacks, before wicker settles fish farms (with books)

Wurt can provide her with some early game easy surfnturf (wicker’s favorite food + high sanity and health)

Later in the game Wicker can provide Wurt with tentacle spots (via tentacle traps killed) or through sea fish. Also merms+grumbles give a decently high dps against many bosses

Walter and wurt:

• Walter doesn't lose sanity while wearing the clever disguise and with increased inventory slots thanks to woby. Walter can take some merms, clear a forest or a rock biome and have all the extra slots to carry the loot back. 
  • Wurt benefits from walters increased exploration speed early game to help find the lunar biome, sorting out the best renewable food (kelp stalks) for her and the merm army.
  • Walter can safely dispatch tentacles with his slingshot, helping to make the swamp safer to base in for the both of them.
  • Walter benefits from wurts merm guard army in helping to destroy his nemesis... the evil bee queen.
  • Merms are the best marble scrub miners; perfect for Walters marble round stockpile.

7 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wicker+warly/wurt: farms and wicker can get benefits from warly/wurt perks. Constant raining isnt a problem for wurt and warly can benefit from volt goat jelly

Would you kindly elaborate? :) I'm afraid I didn't catch your line of thought here.

WOW, I'm so glad I asked. There are SO many new combinations I never even thought of. I have now updated the first post to suit better for the purpose of mapping out all of the character combination perks! :)

For me its just this:

wormtox.jpg.86b92502034354b7c502b3c61de435ae.jpg

Always fun.

Ok I decided to not be lazy this time and elaborate a lil.

First point is - Magic tendency.
Worm mass produce living logs as long he has health. No need to explain why Wortox is here. Once they are confortable with insanity, dark swords are free. 

Second point - Brumble Husk tankin strats.

Brumble husk can farm a lot of mobs which are in crowd - hounds, frogs n spiders. The problem with this is not bein stable to survive the tanking. Again, no need to say after each death Wortox heals. U can even just fulfill ur inventory slots for the souls drop without even overload you, doing the oposite [gaining sanity instead]. So u have a lot of loot just tanking and no harm. Can be dificult to heal when swarmed, but not for him. This strat allows me to do bee queen easily as well once every hit taken spreads damage and the gumbles not just stunlock a second, as they also die. Its souls heals and its all about pressing F, not having to bother with the minions.

Third - status administration

Both of em can excel in that alone but farms are a cool way to recover hunger/sanity/health it as well. I know bananas are now the best way to do it so. and jelly sallad was the best way before the bananas, but for a long time salsa/vegs stinger was a really cool recipe, almost a must have it for sanity. And for that, wormwood shines.Mass veggies can help about Tox hunger in late game as well - I really mean at the point the game get comfy and its about base building, cuz in the hard phase I always eat raw souls or meat stews.

Woodie and wicker r good both ways. 

Woodie can cover wood (boosted by silviculture) / rocks gathering, something wicker lacks. And ofcourse he can also scout out the lunar islands and moon quay faster than anyone. Moon Quay is to Wickerbottom what the ruins are for everyone else.

In general wickerbottom benefits a lot from ocean content like kelp, salt, barnacles, figs etc which weregoose can scout out easily. Not having to paddle around to find this stuff is a huge help.

Weremoose also covers aoe damage for efficiently harvesting smaller mobs like spiders and bees without a setup, something wickerbottom also lacks. 

Lucy can summon treeguards for living logs which wicker needs for bookcases and silviculture books. This was better pre-refresh when silviculture could grow evergreens to their dead stage for lucy to one-shot and spawn a bunch of tree guards in no time. 

In return wickerbottom can farm bee queen like no other to supply weremoose with jellybeans. With horticulture she can also stockpile soothing tea for wereform sanity restoration and in general cover all food needs for both of them. Grimoire can be used to reset weremeter like maeslay mentioned which can help weregoose on the ocean or weremoose in a battle. 

Apicultural notes also allow her to take care of bosses that woodie has no particular perk for like CK. And ofcourse in general he gets to benefit from all the other farms and utility that wicker brings to the table.

8 hours ago, MA7xGE said:

Would you kindly elaborate? :) I'm afraid I didn't catch your line of thought here.

WOW, I'm so glad I asked. There are SO many new combinations I never even thought of. I have now updated the first post to suit better for the purpose of mapping out all of the character combination perks! :)

wicker can help them to farm veggies and fish. Wicker can also grow trees so they can gather wood faster with spices/merms. And wicker can summon rain which doesnt affect wurt so is perfect for summer, warly has his dish that eliminates wetness plus can use volt goat jelly with max damage 

21 hours ago, MrSoratori said:

For me its just this:

wormtox.jpg.86b92502034354b7c502b3c61de435ae.jpg

<Snip>

Very good analysis, I'd also add that since recently Wortox can also fill the "Wanda" role of teleporting to distant places and then summoning Wormwood through deserter. It works with basically any other (non Wanda or Wortox) character too really, and it does save a lot of time.

Little tip I learned recently: they don't even need to have deserters everywhere, just gather eggs for antlion each summer to get a bunch of desert stones, and Wortox needs to know the lazy recipe.
Constructing a deserter wherever you need, using it to summon the other player (who needs to spend just one desert stone) and then hammering the lazy deserter again.
Re-crafting the deserter will cost the wortox player just one cutstone. So the total cost of cheap summoning another player anywhere, is 3 rocks and a desert stone (which was an egg...)

On a side note, I think Wanda and Wicker are a good duo tbh: -Meet the Grannies-

- Wicker can allow Wanda obtain the cheap knowledge (everything encyclopedia) to make her alarming clock and night armor from mostly day one. This already benefits both, in that Wanda is now a day 1 powerhouse that can protect both from any peril the early game can throw at them, and can handle herself much better through an early game ruins rush.
- Both benefit from quickly finding the archives and lunar grotto.
- Wanda just needs food tbh, she's fine about being insane, Wicker can cover food super quickly by many means and leave Wanda's business to do other stuff.
- Wicker can reinforce the high damage of Wanda for bossfights, with grumbles. She can also control the tide of battles with STS, Arachnophobia, or tentacle her way through some fights that can be annoying or dangerous as Wanda. 
- Wicker can stop weather damage and fire damage during hard fights, that could otherwise prevent Wanda from healing and kill her instantly (tempering temperatures, pyrokinetics)
- Summoning huge amounts of nightmare creatures around wicker, although normally could be deadly, is essentially a child's play for Wanda, plus she eats fuel like if there was no tomorrow so both are covered there too: Wicker can use her books anywhere being safe, Wanda feeds her weapon/armor needs.
- Both benefit greatly from fast growing reeds.
- Both benefit from long distance TP since Wicker has no transport perks.

Cons

They both lack basic wood and stone gathering perks in the early game. But the grannies can later cover that up with Bearger.

59 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

On a side note, I think Wanda and Wicker are a good duo tbh: -Meet the Grannies-

- Wicker can allow Wanda obtain the cheap knowledge (everything encyclopedia) to make her alarming clock and night armor from mostly day one. This already benefits both, in that Wanda is now a day 1 powerhouse that can protect both from any peril the early game can throw at them, and can handle herself much better through an early game ruins rush.
- Both benefit from quickly finding the archives and lunar grotto.
- Wanda just needs food tbh, she's fine about being insane, Wicker can cover food super quickly by many means and leave Wanda's business to do other stuff.
- Wicker can reinforce the high damage of Wanda for bossfights, with grumbles. She can also control the tide of battles with STS, Arachnophobia, or tentacle her way through some fights that can be annoying or dangerous as Wanda. 
- Wicker can stop weather damage and fire damage during hard fights, that could otherwise prevent Wanda from healing and kill her instantly (tempering temperatures, pyrokinetics)
- Summoning huge amounts of nightmare creatures around wicker, although normally could be deadly, is essentially a child's play for Wanda, plus she eats fuel like if there was no tomorrow so both are covered there too: Wicker can use her books anywhere being safe, Wanda feeds her weapon/armor needs.
- Both benefit greatly from fast growing reeds.
- Both benefit from long distance TP since Wicker has no transport perks.

Cons

They both lack basic wood and stone gathering perks in the early game. But the grannies can later cover that up with Bearger.

Interesting you say that. I've been curious to see how a Wickerbottom, Wanda, Maxwell run would play out. Everything you mentioned + an additional person to read the books, gather massive amounts of wood, and generally utilize shadow magic. Wanda + Maxwell + Wicker's books = massive nightmare fuel. Since he's not a granny, but an old man, the run can just be called Bingo Night or something like that (get it? Cuz O L D)

On 10/11/2022 at 6:03 AM, Dr. Safety said:

Interesting you say that. I've been curious to see how a Wickerbottom, Wanda, Maxwell run would play out. Everything you mentioned + an additional person to read the books, gather massive amounts of wood, and generally utilize shadow magic. Wanda + Maxwell + Wicker's books = massive nightmare fuel. Since he's not a granny, but an old man, the run can just be called Bingo Night or something like that (get it? Cuz O L D)

This seems SO intriguing!!! 

Too bad Wanda can't read (outside of Forge). Adding a Wurt would had turned it into a book club. :P

I have now settled into a more intuitive presentation of our recognized synergies. Seems like Wurt, Warly and Wicker are the most discussed so far.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:03 AM, Dr. Safety said:

I've been curious to see how a Wickerbottom, Wanda, Maxwell run would play out.

14 minutes ago, MA7xGE said:

Adding a Wurt

Actually if it is a 3 player composition "dream team" I'd add a Wurt instead of Maxwell.
It's a bit unfair though, since Maxwell didn't have a rework yet and his perks are kinda outdated, while Wurt is much more recent in design + she got a lot of fixes and buffs. When Maxwell rework comes, I may change my mind.

Continuing on the 2 players synergies:

• Winona synergizes well with anyone that can fast gather materials for her, mostly Wurt or Maxwell, although with Wurt I think it's a bit of an overkill since both cover up much of the same things (auto farming mobs). I'd probably pair her up with Woodie instead: he can quickly bring her stonefruit and the beaver can cheaply open hundreds of them at a time, while the bee queen auto farm can boost Woodie's transformations with jellybeans. 
  • Webber is a food and healing salves making machine, synergizes well with high ram servers most characters, but its much better with other Webbers IMO.

Most characters have some kind of positive synergy with others tbh. Especially characters like wicker, wormwood, warly and wigfrid, they can pretty much have yellow/green connections to everyone cuz theyre so helpful :lol:
But heres another one:

Wormwood and Wigfrid: healing song can heal wormwood in boss battles. Wigfrid is the best at facetanking with bramble husk and her helmets are the perfect cheap head armor to be used in conjunction with the husk to split the durability drain between the two armors. Both wig and worm equipped with husks and battle helmets and healed by the ballad sounds like a very fun BQ fight. 

Wormwood also has a much easier time going insane for nightmare fuel than wigfrid. Wig can kill the nightmares so wormwood stays insane to farm as much fuel for dark swords (made with worm’s living logs) as they need. 
bramble traps are extremely effective at killing hoards of splumonkeys for morsels for wig (and nfuel and bananas). 

Theyre really good at rushing the ruins between wigs helmets, damage and ability to tank and worm’s living logs. And they can both sustain themselves on just monster meat. 

Worm can also set up grass/twig lureplant farms with perfect coverage cuz he can plant the stuff after the eyes have sprouted. And he can harvest barnacles whenever.

Pretty minor thing but if worst comes to worst and they only get 1 tusk during first winter wig can take it since worm can bloom and will do so for free the entire spring. But if they went to the ruins they should both have thul clubs anyway.

theyre both bad at gathering wood/rocks but bearger or cannons can eventually take care of that. Wig has no real use for farm crops beyond that one bad tomato song or scarecrow, since kelp or stonefruit or mushrooms grown with worm’s logs are easier veg fillers for stuff like pierogi. But farming is extremely optional as wormwood anyway. 

not a perfect or gamebreaking combo but a fun and interesting one i think. They also just make a funny pair imo :lol:

warly doesn't support wolfgang more than he supports any other character, in fact if you're running warly + wolfgang it's objectively better to pass up on any spices/jelly because you'll do things faster with your base damage modifiers alone

with default damage characters it's at least debatable

While i know most people don't take advantage of it Wurt should just point to everyone even if you ignore the king's system Wurt gives access to the only follower who can be used by everyone who can mine even maxwell can use them as bodyguards against tree guards or additional workers, also the merm mask's protection from frog rain, bunnymen, and catcoons.

4 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

if you're running warly + wolfgang it's objectively better to pass up on any spices/jelly because you'll do things faster with your base damage modifiers alone

I mean if you are going to wait all the time it takes for Warly to produce any of his stuff then yeah definitely agree, Wolfgang alone would have made a lot of things by the time Warly made even one spiced jelly. But once Warly starts rolling on special food items, I see no reason for Wolfgang to not use them. I think the problem is mostly Warly being slow to start shining, or taking too many extra steps to achieve what most other characters can do in easier ways.

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Wurt gives access to the only follower who can be used by everyone who can mine even maxwell can use them as bodyguards against tree guards or additional workers, also the merm mask's protection from frog rain, bunnymen, and catcoons.

I Wish Wortox would heal active followers (of his and of his friends) he would certainly benefit a lot more from and to Wurt. 

winona + wx - generators

winona + wolfgang - statue carrying for making panic rooms and catapult farms in general

wicker + maxwell - max can also read books, and go insane easily as well on reading

wx + wanda - wx is a great ruins rusher, and he can take wanda with him for extra clocks

maxwell + winona - winona needs a ton of rocks, maxwell can farm those well

wendy + wigfrid - wendy can farm a ton of meat (frogs, spiders, monkeys)

webber + worm - can farm a ton of monstermeat which worm can eat freely (he gets no HP damage, and sanity is not issue on worm)

1 hour ago, HellHeater said:

wanda + woodie + wortox

these 3 characters can explore all 3 main areas in the entire game in first 20 days

I wonder why Wanda?
Wanda is not a better explorer than Wilson in the first 20 days, generally speaking. She may have a ruins fighting advantage due to her high damage, but so does Wolfgang (with more hp available and more healing options). WX is a better early game ruins explorer in a strict sense (permanent nightvision, cane speed before canes, gears healing.)

2 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

winona + wx - generators

winona + wolfgang - statue carrying for making panic rooms and catapult farms in general

wicker + maxwell - max can also read books, and go insane easily as well on reading

wx + wanda - wx is a great ruins rusher, and he can take wanda with him for extra clocks

maxwell + winona - winona needs a ton of rocks, maxwell can farm those well

wendy + wigfrid - wendy can farm a ton of meat (frogs, spiders, monkeys)

webber + worm - can farm a ton of monstermeat which worm can eat freely (he gets no HP damage, and sanity is not issue on worm)

Hmm, a lot of these could use a deeper exploration;
Does WX support Winona in a special manner? About Winona&Wolfgang, I thought Walter riding on Woby is the best at carrying statues. Maxwell on Wicker's books was nerfed, I think reading is now 3x more insanity-inducing as for Wicker?

WX&Wanda is a clear-ish pair to me, WX supporting Wanda's clock-crafting supports WX in turn. However, I'm curious to hear about this pair more precisely.

Wendy&Wigfrid - Abigail is a good meat-farmer for sure. Does Wigfrid's songs support Abigail? I guess the battle spear helps with Wendy's lowered attack damage, and Abigail can boos Wigfrid's damage. Also, Wigfrid's tendency to go track-hunting helps her to spot Pipspooks for Wendy.

Webber&Worm makes me think if Webber benefits from Wormwood in some way.

21 hours ago, Ohan said:

Most characters have some kind of positive synergy with others tbh. Especially characters like wicker, wormwood, warly and wigfrid, they can pretty much have yellow/green connections to everyone cuz theyre so helpful :lol:

I totally agree with you, but I'm curious to see how these positive perks can cooperate in unique ways - something which I don't think has been discussed to this extend before. So far I have learned a lot new interesting combinations I can't wait to try out - I'm also hopeful Klei is curious to use our findings in their small character tweaks. : D

I would say Webber and Wurt are pretty strong. One eats the meat and one eats the veggies. You can farm a variety of crafting ingredients between the two of them, for example silk and logs for boats and ocean trawlers. Wurt wants to rush lunar island for kelp and stone fruit, which gives Webber easy access to pierogies and meatballs. Meanwhile Webber is more suited to rushing the ruins due to his ability to use the fluffy spiders to his advantage.

Archived