PSA - Transit Tubes are Air Locks in Disguise

I have come across several posts asking for a high power cost air lock building with downsides. However, such a building already exists. The transit tube system helps make perfect liquid locks in any room not having a temperature above 160 Degrees Celsius. I have done an entire play through using transit tubes as air locks.

The only place you cannot use them are high temperature vent and volcano tamers. You can either seal those up, use liquid locks or consider coming up with a mechanical air lock design using duplicant checkpoint.

Not really...

In early game, you lack power to rely on this kind of airlock. 

In late game, you deal with much hotter stuff than 160*C

This would work for early game builds if you reached late game. But at this point you already have airlocks for them in place, so you don't really need to put anything else there.

In theory it looks fine, but in practise I never use them this way

Where temperature is a problem, the simplest of simple builds - a pump immediately between two doors - does a very nearly perfect job. This can be for gas isolation, or it can be for temperature isolation, and it does not slow dupes down. How good it is at gas isolation - nearly perfect if traffic is low, so that the pump does nearly all of its work before the next dupe comes through. Not quite as perfect during periods of heavy traffic - as in, a packet here or there may get past the pump once in a while. But still much better than a single powered door.

What I find very interesting - nearly universally, when I hear someone mention how klei should provide a true airlock building, they haven't set up any kind of build to collect & scavenge waste gases in their base. Like, that's step 1. Dig out a pit and pump CO2/chlorine out into space or storage. Build a hood at the top and collect Hydrogen into a storage. But if you pump out waste gases, your airlocks won't seem like a problem anymore.

Anyway I don't take issue with anyone using mods. It's questionable to claim that such a thing belongs in the game. Klei could reasonably go either way on that.

This would work for early game builds

That is the thing, if you commit yourself to Transit Tubes, what you consider to be an early game build changes. Suddenly all crops and critters which require non-oxygen atmosphere become mid-late game. Transit tube rush becomes a thing, just like the atmo suit rush. The way you explore the map changes, you avoid geodes with high toxic gas concentrations.

To me it appears that the game is designed keeping this in mind. For example, bristle blossoms and mealwood do not require special atmosphere. They are early game crops. Similarly hatches, do not require special atmosphere.

Compare this to Dreckos, which require a complicated mixture of gases environment.

In no world can Transit Tubes beat liquid locks. Liquid locks are very cheap, and very effective solution. However, this post is primarily a reply to those who want a high power consumption, liquid lock building with downsides. It already exists. No body uses them because liquid locks. 

Here I will like to mention that one of the reason people find automation based airlocks and transit tubes hard to use, is because those ideas are underdeveloped in the community because of the effectiveness of liquid locks. Steam-Aquatuner cooling loops also appear daunting at first, but since there is not any easy solution available, soon people have a design worked out and memorized which they simply repeat. There are extensive tutorial videos and other resources available on them. Finding the Airlock Mk 3 by Yunru post involved over half an hour of searching.

I've considered using transit tubes as an airlock, but I've always ended up not for the exact same reason: transit tubes are very bulky to use as airlocks (generally I want them for accessing a small specialized space, like a chlorine/hydrogen pocket for a balm lily/drecko farm).

I am pretty against the concept of adding a mod type 1x2, power free, quick, and possibly insulated airlock to the game. If we had that, nobody would use liquid locks or any other airlock type designs. I like that buildings have drawbacks. If they added a 6x4, 960W, slow airlock with a low overheat temperature (i.e., a one click transit tube), people would only use it rarely since we can design better liquid locks. If you want buildings without drawbacks, use the mods.

I used to love using tubes early game with a local mod of my own creation that  1. allowed me to manufacture transit tubes with refined metals, and 2. lowered the power draw of a transit tube entrance to 240w, meaning it was less effective but usable in the early game and more could simply be placed down when the late game comes around. As cool of an idea as using transit tubes for airlocks sounds, I don't really think its practical without some kind of modification to the game.

that being said, I don't really think that a lack of a 'proper' airlock is a problem that requires solving by the video game developers. I think the waterlock ->  fancier/better looking/smaller visco gel lock works perfectly well and is within the realm of the game.

7 hours ago, Magheat2009 said:

. Suddenly all crops and critters which require non-oxygen atmosphere become mid-late game.

Personally, I just use vertical airlock for those. Or even just a plain vertical entrance. But I do use transit tube for my puft ranch. Used it for slickster ranch too in the past, but after one update, the Transit Tube Crossing started flacking so, might not be a valid option anymore.

9 hours ago, Mastermindx said:

Personally, I just use vertical airlock for those. Or even just a plain vertical entrance. But I do use transit tube for my puft ranch. Used it for slickster ranch too in the past, but after one update, the Transit Tube Crossing started flacking so, might not be a valid option anymore.

(I can quote again, yay) What do you mean by flacking?

23 hours ago, beeper said:

I am pretty against the concept of adding a mod type 1x2, power free, quick, and possibly insulated airlock to the game. If we had that, nobody would use liquid locks or any other airlock type designs. I like that buildings have drawbacks. If they added a 6x4, 960W, slow airlock with a low overheat temperature (i.e., a one click transit tube), people would only use it rarely since we can design better liquid locks. If you want buildings without drawbacks, use the mods.

For them to be good at all, they would need to be quick to pull out liquids and gases as well as being compact. But expelling lots of heat and requiring lots of power as well as some mid-game material (refined metal, possibly maybe glass as well?) would work wonders. The one issue I see is despite them pumping stuff out quickly, the pipes themselves would only be able to pull through 10kg of liquid or 1kg of gas per second, so the building would either need internal storage and/or we will need high pressure pipes, something that would be extremely beneficial anyway. More lenient on the former idea however, since if we have high pressure pipes, for balance, they would probably need to be impossible to put behind tiles and doors to feel balanced.

If we had an alternative high temperature plastic later in the game the transit tubes would be much better as airlocks. If we got a thin tube entry that stoers energy for only a single dupe and charges longer (still uses same power) it would be ideal for the tight area airlocks we often need.

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

tube entry that stoers energy for only a single dupe

What is the benefit of storing energy only for a single dupe? I would think it would be to reduce power consumption, but you want to keep it the same. Do you mean energy consumption per use by power?

I like the idea of simplifying transit tubes a little bit. At a certain point when no one is using a mechanic, than it might be better to simplify it in favour of being used more.

16 hours ago, Magheat2009 said:

What is the benefit of storing energy only for a single dupe? I would think it would be to reduce power consumption, but you want to keep it the same. Do you mean energy consumption per use by power?

Sorr i wasn`t clear enough. The benefit is that the entrance is smaller. The downside is that it stores less energy. Still uses the same amount of power so isn`t a cheaper alternative. The idea is to use those for areas that don`t need many dupes and don`t have the room to fit a 3-tile wide ttube entrance.

Archived