A Warly Re-rework…from Kleicord!

Welcome back to the forums everybody!

I was one of the forumites who visited the Klei Discord during the outage, and it was a fun time with lots of discussion. Something I got out of it was an hour-long, in-depth discussion on potential changes that could be made to Warly, and I absolutely love what came out of it.

Many thanks to ChintzyGnat7, NoodlemanNed, Guille, and Half-Life-Citizen on Discord for letting me post their ideas on here! (Half-Life-Citizen is also on the forums!)

Without further ado, here's what we came up with:

Warly will have twice the chance of getting butter from a butterfly.

Instead of starting with Garlic and Potatoes, he starts with a bundle of 15 seeds. 

• 3 seeds will be pre-determined flavors: 1 Garlic, 1 Onion, and 1 Pepper.
  • All other seeds are random.

Warly will no longer have a 20% faster hunger drain.

Warly's main gameplay loop will be changed to focus on the cost of making his dishes instead of maintaining his hunger. This will NOT negate his food-memory downside! In fact, Warly's food memory will be longer—about 4 days instead of 2.

Warly will recieve an additional hunger bonus upon eating something different.

• + 25 hunger for foods under 20 hunger
  • + 10 hunger for foods up till 100 hunger
  • No bonus for foods at 100 hunger or more

This will not apply to repeated consumptions.

These changes will be added to encourage making use of Warly's many recipies instead of only eating high-hunger dishes. After all, food portions in France are quite small.

When foraging for edibles, Warly has a ⅓ chance to recieve a second ingredient.

This applies differently to non-morsel "big meat." 

• For each individual big meat dropped by a mob, there is a 2/10 chance for a second big meat, and a 8/10 chance for an extra morsel. 
  • Warly only needs to hit a mob once for the chance to apply.

Additionally, if Warly lands a hit on a boss mob, it's guaranteed to drop their food item.

On the topic of boss drops…

Introducing BOSS BITES! For this re-rework proposition, Warly can now make special meals made from boss loot—with particularly powerful effects.

Toadskin Pie

• Made using 1 Shroom Skin 
  • Provides an extremely large defense buff, starting at 99% and decreasing over time.

Omlette au Lave

• Made using 1 Scale and 1 Egg
  • Provides fire damage attacks for a length of time shorter than Volt Goat Chaud Froid
  • Does not burn drops.
  • Does not stack with Volt Goat Chaud Froid. Whatever was eaten last takes effect.

Kingly Croquettes

• Made using 3 barnacles
  • Spawns King pincers at random that deal damage equivalent to a Thulecite club

Whipped Eyescream

• Made using 1 Deerclops Eyeball.
  • Grants a freezing attack for a period of time.

Desert Scones

• Made using 1 Desert Stone
  • Grants 1 teleportation to anywhere on the map per scone.

Minatiramisu

• Made using 1 Guardian's Horn.
  • Increases speed for 5 days.

Fuelweaver fettuccine

• Made with 2 bone shards, 1 nightmare fuel and 1 monster meat. 
  • Only able to be crafted as a blueprint after the Fuelweaver is killed.
  • Gives multiple effects that last for 7 minutes:
  • Gives +10 health and +40 hunger, and drops sanity to 35% of a character's maximum—not increasing it if it's below. 
  • Shadow creatures will fight for the character who eats it.
  • Upon the effect wearing out, sanity will increase to 70% of maximum.

Feel free to comment your feedback here and join the discussion—and once again, many thanks to ChintzyGnat7, NoodlemanNed, Guille, and Half-Life-Citizen! It was an absolute blast talking to you all.

I really like the boss dishes they’re pretty cool, kinda wish they were in the game now lmao 

would warly have to kill/hit the bosses for him to be able to cook the dishes? Maybe a boss hit by warly could get some sort of « dish blueprint » to discourage character swapping or something, really cool concepts overall

just one thing that I find myself in need to correct as a stinky French person is that it would be Omlette de Lave (I think that’s what you were trying to type? unless lauve is a word in English then mb) and not omlette au lauve 

It seems that I can't quote people yet, so...

@maeslay

would warly have to kill/hit the bosses for him to be able to cook the dishes? Maybe a boss hit by warly could get some sort of « dish blueprint » to discourage character swapping or something, really cool concepts overall

We agreed that Warly should get a hit on the boss to get its respective dishes, but that is a good point on character swapping. Maybe him getting a hit in could guarantee the boss item, and getting the Killing Blow™ could net the Boss Bites Blueprint? 

just one thing that I find myself in need to correct as a stinky French person is that it would be Omlette de Lave (I think that’s what you were trying to type? unless lauve is a word in English then mb) and not omlette au lauve 

You are objectively correct, and I am changing that right now. I thank you for your commitment and your patronage!

2 hours ago, Castaccio said:

I mean, I guess this helps? I think adding a consistent way to get butter like butter churning would be infinitely better then simply having a better chance for a drop, but I guess it helps.

Instead of starting with Garlic and Potatoes, he starts with a bundle of 15 seeds. 

Why? Why would a random cook just be carrying random seeds for plants with them? While this same argument could be applied to the garlic and potato he currently starts with, just giving him seeds doesn't relate to his character at all. Yes, he can use those ingredients, but his perks have nothing related to farming beyond that. It'd be like giving Woodie a stack of monster meat or Maxwell a stack of flint off the bat because they're essential to working their characters. While it does help them, it doesn't make sense to me. This one just utterly baffles me as I find the prospect of scraping together high quality dishes out of what crops fate has decided to give you much more interesting then immediately starting with a crop combo. I can understand the prospect that it helps speed his progression along, but it doesn't feel right to me that the chef starts off with innately unrelated seeds.

Warly will no longer have a 20% faster hunger drain.

Warly's main gameplay loop will be changed to focus on the cost of making his dishes instead of maintaining his hunger. This will NOT negate his food-memory downside! In fact, Warly's food memory will be longer—about 4 days instead of 2.

I can completely understand why you'd increase his memory timer, but why also get rid of his hunger drain? Without the increased hunger drain, his stomach goes from full to empty in 3.3333 repeating days. This means that by eating a meaty stew and beefy greens, while also eating a meatball in the middle, you've essentially resolved the hunger idea as while you increased the time that it takes for the memory to be released, you also made that hunger do more work. His downside wasn't in need of having one area alleviated with the other doubled down on, they work together seamlessly to both make you consider what you have to eat but also the factor that you need a lot of it. Increasing the timer to 4 days was a great change imo, but it must also have the hunger drain otherwise it doesn't really change anything except a few things like being able to eat a glowberry mousse for full stats every time the effect runs out. You were so close, but dropped the ball imo.

• + 25 hunger for foods under 20 hunger
  • + 10 hunger for foods up till 100 hunger
  • No bonus for foods at 100 hunger or more

I don't know why people are so obsessed with bringing back Warly getting better stats from eating food. It wasn't interesting before in Shipwreck, and it isn't really all that interesting in this post. While this isn't a bad idea, I also don't really see the point of it. The +25 bonus is so negligible to a food that low that it couldn't really be useful as it doesn't really change much on if I considered making the dish. The +10 is much more applicable, but only serves to make some already good dishes better, like beefy greens, moqueca, and meatballs as they already have high hunger that can make some live off them, but you're making them better. This more serves as a bandaid patch to help bad dishes be less punishing instead of making those dishes actually useful in some capacity. Imo having dish side effects last longer seems more impactful then trying to make certain dishes better while also, in the process of doing so, making already good dishes even better. It's not a bad implementation, I just think the very idea is flawed from the offset and only serves to either be negligible or boost the dishes that were already widely considered staples.

These changes will be added to encourage making use of Warly's many recipies instead of only eating high-hunger dishes. After all, food portions in France are quite small.

Not really. Eating meatballs under this system makes it give him 72.5 hunger, or just 2.5 points shy of lasting him an entire day. Beefy Greens, Honey Ham, and Dragon Pie would give 85, meaning these 4 simple dishes give him enough hunger for 4 days and then some. This is the reason why I advocated for both hunger drain and memory as it makes it so that while a definitive method can be reached with simple ingredients, it'd be a whole lot more pain in the ass to keep consistent and thus encourage using other non-as well made dishes as you'd be more prone to messing up the cycle somewhere and having to find something to subitize it, thus leading to more exploration of the dishes. The current changes I've seen don't encourage me to use other dishes, they just give me more reasons to stick to ones that I know are already good and consistent and most importantly, easy to make and mass produce. It doesn't matter how much you buff the kohlaphant trunk dishes if I'm never going to attempt to get them as the fear of Vargs and Ewcauses significantly overpowers any potential gain a kohlaphant could bring me, which is an example of why people stick to easily producible dishes. Beyond just what the game gives in terms of stats, being easily replicatable is also an important factor in choosing which dishes to choose as sometimes number buffs don't matter if the recipe to get it also sucks to make. All this has pointed out to me is how much the cooking dishes need a look over in how their balanced. I generally believe that the only way to balance them would be to make so kinda of "quality" system where dishes with rare, required ingredients (mandrake soup, fish gumbo (here because it can only be made with eels), mushycake) give signifcantly better stat wise than ones that use all common ingredients (meatballs, fistful of jam, skewers). Anyways, with that mini-rant over.

I mean, I guess? Unless you're making a lot of food in a quick timespan, most of those extra ingredients are going to spoil/rot as Warly simply cannot eat it all unless he doubles up on dishes.

This applies differently to non-morsel "big meat." 

• For each individual big meat dropped by a mob, there is a 2/10 chance for a second big meat, and a 8/10 chance for an extra morsel. 
  • Warly only needs to hit a mob once for the chance to apply.

Same as above, although the big meat thing might be able to be used for more hambats if you have the pigskins.

Toadskin Pie

• Made using 1 Shroom Skin 
  • Provides an extremely large defense buff, starting at 99% and decreasing over time.

Depends on how long it lasts, but it's cool I guess. Kinda makes kiting irrelevant in the late game as you could be reducing damage to like 3 per attack without having any armor on, making that number last significantly longer if you do. It's cool, but it's balance is very questionable, especially once you get beat misery toadstool.

Omlette au Lauve

• Made using 1 Scale and 1 Egg
  • Provides fire damage attacks for a length of time shorter than Volt Goat Chaud Froid
  • Does not burn drops.
  • Does not stack with Volt Goat Chaud Froid. Whatever was eaten last takes effect.

That just sounds like hell tbh. The problem with fire in general in DST isn't that it burns the drops, but rather that it more likely hurts you more then help you. By lighting an enemy on fire, you're doing fire damage but your also making all your teammates suffer as now they'll take fire damage if they want to attack, making the scalemail essential to using this dish. Although you could just mean that this gives a damage boost, but it's still not worth it over Volt Goat Jelly. It's just plain bad imo. It sounds cool on paper, but sucks in a practical situation. The reason why Volt Goat Jelly is so good is that the buffs it gives don't come with a downside. While attacking a wet target deal even more damage, just having it on allows you to deal more damage. This just seems like something you'd try once and never again after you watch your boss attempt die in a blaze of glory as you can't really attack the boss back as the fire will also hurt you. Also the cost is really high for what it gives.

Kingly Croquettes

• Made using 3 barnacles
  • Spawns King pincers at random that deal damage equivalent to a Thulecite club

Alright. I would personally add a Wobster in there for an extra claw but the cost is alright. My only concern is how this would look in game as the claws have to appear from somewhere right? How would this work if your in the middle of land, or even in the caves? Although that's more just nitpicking. Also the damage is a bit high for something that can be spammed by attacking like the tentacles.

Whipped Eyescream

• Made using 1 Deerclops Eyeball.
  • Grants a freezing attack for a period of time.

This just sounds annoying to me tbh. Imagine fighting a boss with a very specifc kiting pattern, like Dragonfly, only for them to freeze in the middle and mess up your entire rhythm for the fight. This honestly sounds like something that would either be entirely too strong or too random to be used in any practical sense.

Desert Scones

• Made using 1 Desert Stone
  • Grants 1 teleportation to anywhere on the map per scone.

I mean that one is just straight up godly, you know how much those things accumulate?  It also doesn't help that you can get them by simply trading with antlion, thus getting enough to instantly travel to any location of the map instantly better the even Wanda can do. It's a cool idea, but one that's very easily exploitable, and I don't think we need another mass distance location hopper among the roster.

Minatiramisu

• Made using 1 Guardian's Horn.
  • Increases speed for 5 days.

Depends on the speed boost, but this could either be huge or extremely disappointing, no inbetween.

Fuelweaver fettuccine

• Made with 2 bone shards, 1 nightmare fuel and 1 monster meat. 
  • Only able to be crafted as a blueprint after the Fuelweaver is killed.
  • Gives multiple effects that last for 7 minutes:
  • Gives +10 health and +40 hunger, and drops sanity to 35% of a character's maximum—not increasing it if it's below. 
  • Shadow creatures will fight for the character who eats it.
  • Upon the effect wearing out, sanity will increase to 70% of maximum.

Why would anyone makes this? Not even for the weird making cost, the mere effect is simply not enough to warrent that amount of effort. This is literally worse then eating 2 ice creams (yes, with Warly's repeat penalty). This sounds like a really cool idea, but I can honestly not imagine any scenario, literally any scenario that this would actually be useful.

As closing thoughts, this collection of ideas is quite decent in concept, but they fall apart when consider them practically. Ideas like the Whipped Eyescream and the Fuelweaver Fettuccine are cool but their bogged down by the idea of being just really annoying when applied to practical scenarios. Ideas like the downside altering shows that while you've got some good concepts, they lack any proper balancing. This entire set of ideas is a good rough idea, but they need some polish to really shine.

Also  need to mention that this should go into Feedback and Suggestions and not general.

I've been vocal about Warly needing something, really anything, for awhile now. At this point if anything comes of it, awesome, if not, I'll understand and try to live with it. I trust that Klei knows what's best for their game, even if I may not always like it.

10 hours ago, Castaccio said:

Feel free to comment your feedback here and join the discussion

Hello! I've played as Warly a lot, in early and late game, alone and on public servers (including moderated and not), on default settings and not, rushing and non rushing things.

I really like to play as Warly and disagree with this idea, and I'll try my best to explain why.

1. Hunger rate, food memory and extra hunger from dishes. Currently one needs to compose one's diet in a way that at least 180 points must separate dish repetitions or series of dish repetitions, being it meaty stews + any 37.5 hunger dish, 112.5 (moqueca) and any 75 hunger dish, 3 75 hunger dish eaten one right after another or 4 meatballs. Unfortunately, there are not much 150 and 112.5 dishes (meaty stew, bone boullion, moqueca and not viable to rely on fresh fruit crepes - and that's it), and not much 75 hunger dishes, which leads to mandatory meaty stew or moqueca inside meal set if one doesn't want to repeat dishes, and even with 2-nd and 3-rd repetitions allowed diversity is quite underwhelming, especially in early game (exploration-focused part). Not to mention that moqueca and bone buillion are early-game unfriendly, latter is even late-game unfriendly. But making food memory last 300 hunger points and applying small hunger buff to dishes that are really bad for hunger (irrelevant on the verge of joke buff to 50+ and 37.5 dishes - despite latter being the most diverse group of dishes) will only make things worse, because player would need either insane amount of inventory space (for multiple unique dishes or multiple unique ingredients, as well as spending much more time waiting for dish to cook on the go), or to ignore your changes completely and be left with same 150, 112.5 and 75 hunger dishes, but now obliged to put 300 hunger points between repetitions or series of repetitions (including early game). Committing 6+ inventory slots to just remain alive in case small dishes or just eating triple meaty stews is much, much worse for any Warly player who wants to achieve things as Warly instead of portal switching to him. He already has troubles with inventory space more than any other character (2+ extra inventory slots occupied to just continue existing and even more to use his advantages), and this aspect should be revisited first and foremost. Adding more 150, 112.5 and 75 hunger dishes (especially available in early game and long-expeditions friendly (decent spoilage time/not storage-demanding set of ingredients/early-game available set of ingrediens)) would do much better job in order to achieve variety.

And there is nothing wrong for dishes that are bad for hunger remain unused for hunger restoration (and if they are good for sanity/health/other effects they will be cooked anyway for mentioned things they are good at). Otherwise this rework just leads to Wurt situation before all those small buffs, temperature fishes and new vegetarian food sources were added (2019).

2. Fresh fruit crepes and butter. Even with doubled drop rate butter would still remain too rare to be woven into daily diet, and even if one had butter in early game, it would end up in meatballs/meaty stew anyway, because in order to cook fresh fruit crepes one needs sweetener and full-value fruit, i.e. to visit ruins or start farming like crazy before map exploration. Because of inventory space reasons and being unable to get butter and honey in the ruins, even ruins-rushing Warly won't cook fresh fruit crepes in 99% of cases; I hope I don't need to explain why building base and sitting in one place is bad before map exploration, let alone during best season for exploration.

Just treat fresh fruit crepes like middle-/late-game boon, not something to be mass-farmed, or consider ways to make butter farming worth time investment and interesting (for example, making butter drop rate around 50% is example of boring and balance-breaking change, don't follow this way, please).

3. Foraging a little bit of extra edibles while lucky. It won't make a difference at all, because 20% chances for extras is not something on can use while developing reliable strategy, and if one picked enough food to notice that ~20%s most of the time, it wouldn't be needed. Just because 1 extra ingredient when one has 1 or 2 is noticeable difference, and 1 extra when one has 5 or 6 (let alone 10+) is negligible.

Pointless to add, but at least it won't make things worse.

4. Pre-determined seeds and veggies. Actually I'd rather add to the game itself a way to get various farm products without farms, but in small quantities (so farms will remain the best way to mass-produce farm vegetables and fruits), just like right now one can get dragonfruit (ripe saladmander + birdcage), corn (corn cod + birdcage), carrot (picking world carrots/killing bunnymen + birdcage or killing carrats), potato and garlic (spawning as Warly + birdcage), pumpkin seeds (enabling Hallowed Nights event) - instead of spawned in inventory seeds set. Why? Because it adds new goals and flexibility to both Warly and other players, making nonexistent in early game dishes occasional, and rewarding player for their planning skills and game knowledge. Currently onion, pepper, asparagus and some other veggies could use extra drop source to make things more interesting.

So instead of pre-determined set of seeds for Warly there is better solution that would affect all characters in positive way.

5. New unique dishes. Adding something to choose from won't hurt, but most of them would share potato souffle fate, sorry not sorry, just because those boss drops has better use than in proposed dishes. And cooking Fuelweaver dish is like shooting oneself in the knees because of that 70% of maximum sanity thing. I wonder how you imagine repetition of this dish: would new maximum sanity level remain at 70% or would it be 70% from 70%, i.e. 49%? And for 7 minutes? 2 allies at max? With permanent debuff, possibly stacking with itself? Sorry not sorry, but whoever came up with this idea should eat ice cream or some jelly salad, and stop generating ideas while wearing bone helm.

But adding some new effects (or adding some of those listed here after serious tuning) has potential, it's just that effect should be worth the tradeoff and be available early enough (if one prioritises it) to make a difference.

To conclude, I think Warly is mostly fine, and some problems he has can and should be revisited, but OP takes completely different direction than what is really needed. Namely, Warly needs: chef pouch rework (inventory space area; not just buff, I'd rather have it upgradable with different upgrade routes having their own upsides and downsides), fixing bug with temperature dishes (for example, honey ham deletes effect of hot dragon chili salad, and this is not acceptable), adding more hunger points-rich dishes (150, 112.5, 75 and even ~50 points dishes), especially available in early game, and game itself (for the sake of Warly and others) could use alternative ways to get farm vegetables/fruits (alternative way to get specific seeds for farms compared to spamming generic ones, as well as way to cook Warly-exclusive dish as nomad (not mass-cook though, so neither farms, nor normal weather protection options wouldn't be invalidated)) and small things such as being able to disassemble portable crock pot with torch in hand (instead of setting it on fire being an option; if one wants to burn the thing, one can always do it in disassembled form).

2 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

and small things such as being able to disassemble portable crock pot with torch in hand (instead of setting it on fire being an option; if one wants to burn the thing, one can always do it in disassembled form).

This. I swear, the "retrieve crockpot" took priority over anything in shipwrecked so I had no worries in setting it on fire unlike the other crockpots. Then first test world in dst at a friends house, I burnt my crockpot trying to make him some balls, we then restarted.

12 hours ago, Castaccio said:

More of a Wormwood thing. I understand where this comes from but I think the better solution would be a new mob that drop pepper. In my experience, it's the most annoying one to obtain.

12 hours ago, Castaccio said:

This upside from Shipwrecked was replaced with spices and special effect dishes which are a lot more interesting and interactive. Besides, DST has way more recipes and the crock pot dishes are easier to obtain. Wurt has a hunger modifier simply because the veggie dishes aren't filling enough by themselves. Crock pot dishes are good already. No one asks for Wigfrid to have a hunger modifier from meat because it's filling already and it's a part of the challenge. The same can be applied to Warly. 

13 hours ago, Castaccio said:

It won't help Warly at all. More ingredients to spoil in the fridge. It would make some sense to have a higher chance to get rare ingredients like Volt Goat Horn since he is "an accomplished butcher".

Introducing BOSS BITES! For this re-rework proposition, Warly can now make special meals made from boss loot—with particularly powerful effects.

I support the idea of having character specific craftables with boss drops. WX and Wicker already have that. However, the said craftables are more durable if you take care of them. I'm extremely iffy about using a boss drop to only get a temporary effect when those things have better long-term uses. Especially, the AG horn which doesn't respawn unless you kill the fuelweaver.

I don't understand why everyone wants to make butter more viable. It's a joke item based on a pun. 

In my opinion, there is no need to fix Warly because he isn't broken. The only people who have problems with him are Celestial Portal enthusiasts who call him a swap character. All Warly needs is longer effects from foods and spices compared to other character. Klei made Maxwell worse at reading Wicker's books than her. I don't understand why the same can't be applied to Warly. 

Not a fan of these ideas honestly.
The biggest thing I take issue with are the boss food items. I get what you are going for but turn a Dragonfly Scales and a non 100% drop rate Lavae Egg into a worse than Electric Jelly? You get 3 skin from Toadstool per kill for a decaying 99% DR? I get the use of it but we already have armor and garlic. These are for extreme late game when you (if you even do) decide to mega base.
For replacing Potato and Garlic with seeds (and 3 guaranteed) I kind of like this idea but at the same time I dont. I feel it would be better to start with the vegetables and force the player to create a bird cage and get a bird like you do now to guarantee your garlic and potato seeds.
Imo if Warly needs changes (which he doesnt really I feel) they are duration increases to his temperature foods. Maybe another spice? Damage Reduction, Gathering Efficiency, Damage, and Health Gain are more than enough. With the addition of Polly Roger Salt is more viable than before just as a QoL for salt gathering.
Granted Warly is my 2nd or 3rd most played character so maybe I'm just less experienced? No clue. I'm a wormwood main.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:32 PM, Castaccio said:

My only feedback with this bit is the random factor, cause rng isnt really fun, and u can get a bunch of crappy seeds or some amazing ones, besides id decrease the ammount to 10 or even 5-7

other than that, cool ideas homie

Props for this.

• Warly is great as a portal character. Not so great as a regular character. This proposal gives him more regular character utility (like going out into the world and getting better/more drops)
  • More recipes is good
  • Harder to deal with timer—can’t as easily deal with it by cycling three dishes or so

I fundamentally disagree with Vanilla Warly’s drawbacks:

1. Gimping a cook’s stomach makes about as much sense as gimping the attack of a fighter character
  2. Dying because you didn’t like eating five consecutive meatballs makes no roleplaying sense—you’re in the wilderness, son, so you best harden up

But these are some good changes made within the current spirit of the character.

Archived