How to play on pc

I also used to be a console person, but I wanted to have a higher skill cap on the games I was playing... I love don't starve to pieces but I'm still terrible at it and have trouble surviving, some times... But I found it a lot easier to play with binding attack to M3 ( which is a mouse side button if you have one of those). I also have gather on E because I'm evil and don't like holding the space bar, but I wouldn't advise that one... But I haven't tried DST on console, I played the original a LONG time ago on the *cough* Wii U... Sorry for the random rambling, I enjoy games more on the PC, if you can get past the carpal tunnel syndrome. :)

Since you are on PC I highly recommend some mods just for quality of life purposes. Namely "Action Queue". Just by double clicking (left or right) you can replicate the "hold spacebar" thing.
As far as actual controls are concerned by default F is your attack. It prioritizes Hostile enemies that are nearby. If you hold Ctrl and hold F it will attack the closest attack-able entity. You can hold F you do not need to press it repeatedly.
Spacebar is how in general you can interact with the world as if it was Left or Right click. Just be wary since Spacebar prioritizes your equipped Tool. If you have a shovel and want to pick some twigs, use Left click, not spacebar. If you want to dig it up, Spacebar or Right Click works.
Check out the keybinds page! You can customize everything. By default 1,2 3, etc are connected to a certain slot in your inventory. Mix and match to what feels comfortable. (Or do what I do and be a clicker despite having 16 years of MMO anti-click technology on your belt)
The Scoreboard isn't that useful especially if you play solo, so I personally recommend changing Map from M to Tab and leave the Scoreboard unbound (your choice though).
Other than that all of your targeting will be done with your Mouse or proximity, unlike console there is no force target system.
Good luck! Have fun! And welcome to the Constant (on your PC)!

10 hours ago, OpulentEnder said:

Can someone give me some tips on how to play of pc?

WASD to move your character.

Q and E rotates your map.

Rebind the Tab button to be the map, the default key of M is pretty far imo (this also means to rebind the scoreboard, since tab is the default key for that).

Shift + Right click on an inventory item to quick drop it (this includes items you are wearing in the hand/body/hat slots).

You can also do shift + number on top to quick drop the item depending on what number you press.

If you do Shift + Control + Right Click/number, you will drop only a single item instead of the entire stack.

You can use the number keys on the top to switch between items, like between a walking cane and hambat.

DISABLE LAG COMPENSATION. I'm pretty sure on console, you have no choice but to have lag compensation enabled. Disable it, lag compensation is showing you a lie of where your character actually is.

Also disable netbook mode and small textures. Small textures lowers the resolution of stuff and makes the game look ugly (you will have to restart the game for this to take effect).

When fighting with a controller, you attack everything. Instead on PC, you use F to attack hostile enemies, control + F to attack neutral enemies and walls, and you need to click on a friendly mobs to attack them (like Glommer). Hold the key to keep attacking.

When using WASD to move around while fighting, you can use the F key as a substitute for a movement key. What I mean by that is that of the enemy is to your right and is close, instead of hitting D to go right and attack the enemy, you can just hit F to both move towards your target and attack. It's a small thing but it helps when say fighting say tons of nightmares. Otherwise you are moving with WASD and then hitting and holding F to attack.

When doing an action like chopping trees or mining, hold spacebar to automine and spam left click to speed up the animation so you do your actions faster.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

When doing an action like chopping trees or mining, hold spacebar to automine and spam left click to speed up the animation so you do your actions faster.

Qol update made it so holding m1 on something spams it.

You can disable lag compensation on ps4. Thanks for the tip with the map! Also I'm a big fan lakhnish!

On 9/6/2022 at 7:48 PM, Chimpo said:

I also used to be a console person, but I wanted to have a higher skill cap on the games I was playing... I love don't starve to pieces but I'm still terrible at it and have trouble surviving, some times... But I found it a lot easier to play with binding attack to M3 ( which is a mouse side button if you have one of those). I also have gather on E because I'm evil and don't like holding the space bar, but I wouldn't advise that one... But I haven't tried DST on console, I played the original a LONG time ago on the *cough* Wii U... Sorry for the random rambling, I enjoy games more on the PC, if you can get past the carpal tunnel syndrome. :)

I just bound attack to mouse3. Thanks for the tip!

Oh, when talking about mods (Lakhnish I think told everything about controls but already see another advice about mods)... Some most popular mods in Steam Workshop are bugged (like Display Food Values), meaning they are going to mess up with you world. Steam hardly does any job on quality control of mods and usually best thing what you can do for yourself is to read description and comments of the mod. In case of crash PC users can also check game log, if there is any useful information about its cause.

image.png.0aa839d745c146d0e5dc574fce516a9f.png
that button allow to find directly your world folder : D Folder "Master" if for forest shard, "Caves" for... well, caves.

Archived