How do I make a recreation room?

I'm having trouble making recreation rooms. I know how to build an Arcade and Dancing area but they take so much power that my powering room is struggling. When my dupes learn new things they take 18 morale for building, digging, athletics and having an extra morale room makes me take the suit-wearing skill point

I'll be trying it in Sandbox mode

Tysm

Recreational buildings do not need to be in recreation rooms.

Recreational rooms offers only two advantages; that dupes gather there when they have nothing else to do during downtime instead of at the printing pod, and that you need minimum one recreation room anywhere on the map to prevent dupes using recreational buildings not inside recreational rooms every downtime on every cycle. The recreation room itself gives no bonuses.

5 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Recreational buildings do not need to be in recreation rooms.

Recreational rooms offers only two advantages; that dupes gather there when they have nothing else to do during downtime instead of at the printing pod, and that you need minimum one recreation room anywhere on the map to prevent dupes using recreational buildings not inside recreational rooms every downtime on every cycle. The recreation room itself gives no bonuses.

I'm asking for designs or player's build. Please thanks, Special room that gives bonuses is what I would want.

You missed this important part:

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

The recreation room itself gives no bonuses.

Make a Nature Reserve that gives +6 morale (it requires at least one Park Sign, at least four wild plants, no Industrial machinery and size range: 32-120 tiles) in dupes path that's most frequently used. For example I got a 'shaft' that dupes use to access all the rooms in the core of the base like: barracks (later to be bedrooms), kitchen, toilets and so on.

Look at Room Overlay on Wiki for details on others.

Recreation room is one of most complex and useless. I'm calling it complex, because you need a lot of power, and you position should be somewhere in the middle of your base. If you will build it somewhere in the angle, nobody will visit it, because duplicants use recreational buildings by accident - if there is nothing to do, and if recreational building nearby. I'm calling it useless because amount of morale buff / efforts is close to zero. Build natural reserve and make good food, it will be enough. Recreation room is something like proof to yourself that you can do it.

316015488_.thumb.jpg.a2863fe6f236178522faf7728c92193c.jpg

About power - yes, it is power consuming. Build more generators

Spoiler

1842308673_1.thumb.jpg.169e129d41b702154f8f4d03fc64b116.jpg

9 minutes ago, degr said:

Recreation room is one of most complex useless. I'm calling it complex, because you need a lot of power, and you position should be somewhere in the middle of your base. If you will build it somewhere in the angle, nobody will visit it, because duplicants use recreational buildings by accident - if there is nothing to do, and if recreational building nearby.

316015488_.thumb.jpg.a2863fe6f236178522faf7728c92193c.jpg

About power - yes, it is power consuming. Build more generators

Reveal hidden contents

1842308673_1.thumb.jpg.169e129d41b702154f8f4d03fc64b116.jpg

Thank you! I see my issue now dealing with recreation furniture. I have to put it in the Great Hall/ eating area like in real life. Eat, Play video games, work, sleep.

Early on i just use a jukebot on a transformer that only powers it and i keep the rec not needing much power. The surfboards are pretty cool as they take little power and you can use water from the same system that supplies your lavatories. Just need to set up mesh tiles underneath and make sure the water falls back to your water pool.

Usually i find it easier to keep high morale through better food though.

Surfboard, jukebot, arcade, and sauna are all recreational buildings that provide +2 morale for 4 cycles. So what you do is simply to only power each for one cycle every 4 cycles, and all your dupes will have +8 morale while only a single building each cycle drawing power thus needing very limited power supply.

U can choose many alternative methods, sauna require only 60 w of power but the challenge is redirect over staying steam back to the steam chamber. Or hot bath but need to be built in a room with related low temperature to pervert over heating. 

If you're struggling with power: A Water Cooler and a decorative building in a room between 12 and 96 tiles constitutes a Recreation Room.

If you need more morale, consider a Nature Reserve (+6) or increasing meal quality to "Good" (+8).

Or make your dupes "Passably Relaxed" (+5) using a Beach Chair without a Sun Lamp.

I like to make a rec room right around the pod, so that balloon artists and their buddies don't have to travel far, since that happens during recreation time at the pod. They also get dupes together so that sparkle streakers have a chance to buff other people more.

It also helps to channel my dupes to be the near the bedroom, so they don't have to run far and possibly miss their sleep slot. (I only give them one sleep slot so they only sleep as long as they need to, and don't sleep in on workdays. And every day is a workday!)

It slowly grows as I can spare the power and dupe time, but the hot tub is always a very late addition due to it requiring at least five downtime slots and the complicated temperature management of both the incoming water and the building itself.

Each cycle a different building is turned on, cycling through hot tub, arcade, surfboard and jukebot, this also makes more dupes use the common activities at the same time. It's more fun with the whole team after all! (And saves a bit of power.) Only the soda machine (in the great hall above) is always turned on. Except when the hot tub is open, otherwise someone will always run to the soda machine first and then get in the hot tub too late, with not enough time to finish and get the boost before sleep time. It doesn't help that the morale buff lasts a bit too long so together with the long use time they enter it later and later each time until they miss it. The buildings are also briefly turned off just before the end of each sleep slot, otherwise the dupes often pull all-nighters in the rec room and then pass out later on. Though that's mainly an issue with the hot tub and not the other activities. It's why I don't let them use a beach chair... I just don't understand how to make that work in a reasonable schedule without micromanaging.

Anyway, the purpose of the rec room and the various morale boosts should not be to satisfy morale needs, but to go above and beyond that so that the joy reactions trigger more often, especially for the balloon artists and sparkle streakers. Those stats buffs are awesome, and I get them so consistently with this that I don't even bother building transit tubes anymore. With the buffs they can run much faster than the tubes go, after all. I might even remove the firepoles, because even those are slower than sparkle streaking dupes. The rec room should be purely a bonus, because it's easy to miss a buff every once in a while and I don't want to stress them out that way.

Screenshot_20220831_211723.png

Archived