Drywall Fix?

So, Drywall used to go behind other buildings, but now drywall takes up the same space as other buildings, including doors, which means you're losing air when a door opens. It's also annoying for moving machines around in space.

I read that the change was made due to air leaking somehow, and due to thermal transfer calculations causing computers to break from resource use overload.

What if drywall went behind buildings again, but didn't have temperature at all? They don't store heat, they don't move heat, they don't do anything but block air like the background in the underground?

It would cut down on the processing for computers if they were neutral to heat.

Note, I'm not saying the same thing for thermal plating, which I know works very much the same way as Drywall. And thermal plating can stay on the layer it's on now, with the other buildings, and go on-top of drywall.

Another option might be to remove drywall entirely as a thing.... Of course this makes the resource cost for building in space a lot cheaper. Buildings that are built in space could put up a drywall graphic in the background once a room becomes an actual room. Finish the room, POOF! Drywall appears!

Another alternative would be to get rid of drywall, and have "airtight tiles" that are used for floors, ceilings, and walls. These tiles can cost four times (or more/or less) than regular tiles, maybe require special materials or processing to make. Maybe they have to be refined metal tiles. And then when a room is completed with these materials, they drywall (or metal) background appears when the room becomes a room. And the background would be nothing more than an image representing the room is sealed (not thermally active).

Rooms are sealed in the underground right now, so the real issue seems to be that the background allows air (and water?) to escape, as space should. But, yeah, maybe on a programming level just treat a sealed room as sealed, and get rid of drywall entirely?

Can confirm, the "space exposure" tooltip on mesh/airflow tiles, pneumatic doors and open airlocks is a lie, gasses/liquids don't actually leak through them.

That said, I really would appreciate if the above-mentioned buildings could be immediately replaced with each other, as currently changing a room's size leaks gas, or is a huge hassle, or both.

On 8/21/2022 at 8:37 AM, Sasuga said:

I read that the change was made  due to thermal transfer calculations causing computers to break from resource use overload.

Can confirm that this was a real problem.  Thermal transfer calculations can still be a problem even on otherwise very capable machines.

Archived