Woodie

Since there is a lot of concern for woodie with wickers new book, I thought we could brainstorm on how to help our dear lumberjack. What if he could craft a wicker-not-in. This would stop his transformation for 1 full moon but only the full moon brought on by wickers book? I see it as just another one of his idol's and maybe it can be a little devilish librarian. Any other ideas ppls?

Those happen in maybe less than 1% pub games and it's where it matters because your friends would warn you. It's rare to get full moon everyday but that doesn't make woodie fine with daily full moon. Only ways to deal with it is to stay entire night under a bush hat or in caves, annoying when you want to spend time on surface and have to wait two loading screens every day.

3 hours ago, Parusoid said:

dont thnk its needed since moonstorms exist already. this issue came up when moonstorms were introduced and havent been solved since. woodies been doing fine since then

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

dont thnk its needed since moonstorms exist already. this issue came up when moonstorms were introduced and havent been solved since. woodies been doing fine since then

A late game event most players never see can't be compared to the new normal of day one.

2 hours ago, LitulLola said:

Since there is a lot of concern for woodie with wickers new book, I thought we could brainstorm on how to help our dear lumberjack. What if he could craft a wicker-not-in. This would stop his transformation for 1 full moon but only the full moon brought on by wickers book? Any other ideas ppls?

I think the easiest solutions which have been brought up are to either remove forced full moon transformations or just remove the hunger drain.

2 hours ago, Parusoid said:

I agree except for the part of "he's been doing fine since" In our worlds it always happens and it's always a nightmare for Woodies.
I think an amulet like Wilba's that prevents transformations would probably do. That's the core idea. 

As an Optional thing I've been thinking some extra ideas for this change not being such a plain thing:

•  Allow Woodie to Wear amulets while transformed, as he does with backpacks. Why? This will open up some progress to the wereforms, basically allowing them to be somewhat faster (magi) or collect stuff as they work/move/fight (lazy forager) or freeze enemies that hit him while transformed, and prevent overheating for much longer (chilled amulet), etc.
  • Allow the new amulet to be charged by full moon exposure: the more you wear it during full moon, the more it charges up. These charges could be used for some form of upgrade for the wereforms: perhaps some extra speed, or slow life regen like WX circuit while transformed only.

45 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Allow Woodie to Wear amulets while transformed, as he does with backpacks. Why? This will open up some progress to the wereforms, basically allowing them to be somewhat faster (magi) or collect stuff as they work/move/fight (lazy forager) or freeze enemies that hit him while transformed, and prevent overheating for much longer (chilled amulet), etc.

• Allow the new amulet to be charged by full moon exposure: the more you wear it during full moon, the more it charges up. These charges could be used for some form of upgrade for the wereforms: perhaps some extra speed, or slow life regen like WX circuit while transformed only.

I never really liked the idea of woodie being able to avoid full moons with basically some sort of silver necklace equivalent but GOD being able to wear  amulets while transformed would be so cool!

3 hours ago, Parusoid said:

dont thnk its needed since moonstorms exist already. this issue came up when moonstorms were introduced and havent been solved since. woodies been doing fine mains have mostly disappeared since then

there. fixed it for you. 

it is truly tragic. i played woodie a lot when starting out and he was a neat character. All his wereform had good uses in the game. 

2 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

there. fixed it for you. 

it is truly tragic. i played woodie a lot when starting out and he was a neat character. All his wereform had good uses in the game. 

i feel like im the only woodie main that likes he moonstorm event lmao (atleast on these forums)

I don't think the Full Moon transformation is an issue. It is pretty easy to work around honestly. Changing his downside or adding something else could be cool. Or just change his transformations? idk. I want to like woodie because I loved him in DS classic where chopping trees triggered the werebeaver and Lucy actually cared about Woodie instead of the present day Selfish Sap Thirsty Masochist she is.

Aside from an item, perhaps there could be a grace period for how many times Woodie can be transformed from Full Moons before the curse just...gets tired? Woodie could still manually transform, and the Full Moons wouldn't NOT transform Woodie, just "too many moons" would lose their effect the more Woodie is exposed to them.

holding an item in your inventory to negate your entire downside defeats the purpose of having downsides (more tree guards doesn't really count if you know how to play the game)

that's like saying wig can eat anything if she has something crafted in her inventory, or wx doesnt lose hp due to above-threshold wetness if he has an eyebrella or something else just sitting in his inventory. 

8 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

holding an item in your inventory to negate your entire downside defeats the purpose of having downsides (more tree guards doesn't really count if you know how to play the game)

that's like saying wig can eat anything if she has something crafted in her inventory, or wx doesnt lose hp due to above-threshold wetness if he has an eyebrella or something else just sitting in his inventory. 

dont compare the ridiculous downside of wigfrid with being uneable to play each night

not having access to your chest slot to prevent transformations each night during moonstorm is a downside in my book 

The chest slot has a lot of competition for items that can go in it, so I'm down for Woodies having the choice to wear an amulet to prevent transforming.

Since we're working on this whole "moon vs shadows" theme lately, maybe have it unbreakable/fueled by nightmare fuel and wear down when worn during a full moon.

2 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

im just saying in principle - having an item in the inventory to negate your entire downside doesn't feel right. while woodie's situation is especially bad and arguments can be made for an exception, I still don't like the idea. 

There's a pretty big difference between "having an item in your inventory" and "equipping an item in your chest slot". I don't think anybody has suggested just having an item in the inventory.

People were saying it'd nullify the curse if you had it in your inventory. Thing is, woodie has no idea when full moons are coming when wicker reads her book. It's unrealistic to have woodie have to wear an amulet on the surface at the beginning of every night. That's incredibly annoying.

Then you have that 1 time when you have it crafted but didn't wear it and now your plans are messed up and hunger is at 0. 

On 7/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, Cheggf said:

If it's such an issue for Woodie why not make him simply not transform from the full moon if he's transformed or attempted to in the past 10 minutes? He seems to be getting more control over his powers since he can freely enter them with idols so I think if he had just transformed and the moon tried to make him do it again he could have a little animation where he resists the transformation and says something like "Hold it together, Woodie...". He would be identical to how he is now in every situation except the full moon spam (and I guess also if you ate an idol right before a full moon) and it'd turn the full moon spam into him just holding still for 2 seconds every night (unless he skipped a moon by being underground or something).

3 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

People were saying it'd nullify the curse if you had it in your inventory. Thing is, woodie has no idea when full moons are coming when wicker reads her book. It's unrealistic to have woodie have to wear an amulet on the surface at the beginning of every night. That's incredibly annoying.

Then you have that 1 time when you have it crafted but didn't wear it and now your plans are messed up and hunger is at 0. 

people were mentioning wilba's amulet which needs to be equiped. Atleast all the comments that i read

22 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Hound teeth craft that he eats and mitigates the curse. My homies and I hate hound teeth pollution. 

I had an idea of a necklace to prevent transformations crafted with teeth, a purple gem and nightmare fuel. Similar to the one in the pic but with purple beads. We might go even further and thulecite fragments and craft it on Ancient Pseudoscience to make more of a luxury item than a necessity. He would get one for free if he joins the world with active moon storm but not at full durabilty. The necklace would lose durability and drain sanity when equipped on the full moon. But a lot of people here seem to be opposed to the idea of him having a necklace, so idk. 

573189354_61DYFRUhGL._AC_UY500_.jpg.711317348e5e1a5e22e1e66deb2fa607.jpg

Archived