The Last Few Changes Wickerbottom Needs

I love how the Wickerbottom refresh started, and I love all the updates that have been made to it. There are really only a few changes left that I would like done before it launches. 

The Horticulture Books

These books are meant to help you with farming. But most players build farms in 3x3 plots that have 9 crops per quarter, and 36 total in one farm. Right now the numbers of the books are a little off. Horticulture Abridged affects 10 crops, and Horticulture Expanded affects 15 crops. I think they should be changed to 9 crops and 18 crops respectively. The recipe for Horticulture Abridged could be made slightly cheaper, and the recipe for Horticulture Expanded could be made slightly more expensive. I'm talking a difference of 1 seed and/or 1 manure. I do love these books, but it would be nice if they aligned with how player farms are used. 

Tempering Temperatures

This book is very close to being useful to manage temperatures in Winter and Summer, but just falls short. First it should be 5 uses instead of just 3. Second, 1 of 2 changes should take place. The book should either cool or warm up the thermal stone in your inventory, so that you can use it to manage your temperature as well as the thermal stone. Alternatively, the book could give Wicker temporary levels of insulation or just preventing Wicker's temperature from changing for a few minutes. 

As it stands now, the book is actually useful for dealing with rain. But not useful in situations with its namesake. The reason why is because the Thermal Stone just performs better than this book. And is obviously cheaper to craft. This book also fails to synergize with the Thermal Stone since it doesn't control the Thermal Stone's temperature. So make it comparable to power with the Thermal Stone, or make it work as a tool to help you manage your Thermal Stone. Otherwise it is too weak to use. 

The End is Nigh!

This book used to have one purpose. Overcharging WX. Now that purpose is gone. Please give some ability to predict or control the lightning. Whether it has a priority system, hitbox, or just always casts the lightning bolt in a specific configuration. Then it could potentially find a use. Either to AOE mobs of enemies, or for specific boss fights? It could still prioritize lightning rods and Volt Goats. I just want this book to not be useless. 

Pyrokinetics Explained

It's hard to see how this book would ever be supremely useful. It's mostly due to how weak the Fire Staff and Fiery Pen are. It'll stay this way until Fire damage and the purpose of the Fire Staff and Fiery pen gets some kind of comprehensive overall. Maybe in the some eventual Willow refresh idk. But for now at least the range or putting out fires could be larger. It is surprisingly limited in size. 

The Lunar Grimoire

The recipe cost started off too cheap. Now a lot of people think it's too expensive. I don't think an iridescent gem is too expensive for how I would use the book. But given player concerns over stealing gems from the archive and spamming this book with 3 copies, it makes sense to make it a bit cheaper. Whether the cost is changed to include moonglass, distilled knowledge, or whatever other lunar themed resources.

i want to say thank you Klei so much for the work you have done on the Wickerbottom refresh. I'm really looking forward to using her and have loved all the changes. 

8 minutes ago, Noaa said:

But given player concerns over stealing gems from the archive and spamming this book with 3 copies, it makes sense to make it a bit cheaper. Whether the cost is changed to include moonglass, distilled knowledge, or whatever other lunar themed resources.

There are options to make those 2 gems irremovable, or to make the book require the Moon Caller itself. 

I still think that those concerns are blown out of proportions. There are way worse things that can happen to 2 irri gems from the Archive. I just don't wanna give ideas to griefers. 

I agree with everything else. 

4 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

There are options to make those 2 gems irremovable, or to make the book require the Moon Caller itself. 

I still think that those concerns are blown out of proportions. There are way worse things that can happen to 2 irri gems from the Archive. I just don't wanna give ideas to griefers. 

I agree with everything else. 

Yea they could do that too. I think Klei has lots of options. 

1 hour ago, Noaa said:

These books are meant to help you with farming. But most players build farms in 3x3 plots that have 9 crops per quarter, and 36 total in one farm. Right now the numbers of the books are a little off. Horticulture Abridged affects 10 crops, and Horticulture Expanded affects 15 crops. I think they should be changed to 9 crops and 18 crops respectively. The recipe for Horticulture Abridged could be made slightly cheaper, and the recipe for Horticulture Expanded could be made slightly more expensive. I'm talking a difference of 1 seed and/or 1 manure. I do love these books, but it would be nice if they aligned with how player farms are used. 

Horti can't make giant crops and doesn't cooperate with normal farms even if it grew 9 crops. I wouldn't want the book to be nerfed (the reeds are the hard part, not the seeds) just so that it can be more aesthetically appealing for the 5 seconds the crops are grown without being picked. 

1 hour ago, Noaa said:

This book used to have one purpose. Overcharging WX. Now that purpose is gone.

No it didn't and no it's not. It can still charge WX, still charge volt goats, still charge lightning rods (which can then charge WX), and still own people in pvp. 

27 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Horti can't make giant crops and doesn't cooperate with normal farms even if it grew 9 crops. I wouldn't want the book to be nerfed (the reeds are the hard part, not the seeds) just so that it can be more aesthetically appealing for the 5 seconds the crops are grown without being picked. 

No it didn't and no it's not. It can still charge WX, still charge volt goats, still charge lightning rods (which can then charge WX), and still own people in pvp. 

None of those are remotely useful to Wickerbottom herself. I think it's cool that it interacts well with WX but I think it would be more fun if it were more useful for Wicker herself. I do not think PvP is something most players encounter so it doesn't seem particularly relevant. 

1 hour ago, Noaa said:

None of those are remotely useful to Wickerbottom herself. I think it's cool that it interacts well with WX but I think it would be more fun if it were more useful for Wicker herself. I do not think PvP is something most players encounter so it doesn't seem particularly relevant. 

Charging volt goats and her longest lasting light book aren't remotely useful? 

4 hours ago, Noaa said:

The Horticulture Books

this is great,

I don't usually use farms much since its update, because it seems easier to adapt to the other resources to farming food. I've only used them to get potatoes, pumpkins or dragon fruit, in small quantities.

without a doubt adjusting the books to multiples of nine awakens my interest in gardening again.

40 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Charging volt goats and her longest lasting light book aren't remotely useful? 

I think charging Volt Goats is vaguely useful? It's just hard to farm them efficiently for their milk. And longest lasting light book is like a joke? People do not want to stand around doing nothing for a whole night. Who plays like that? Are you actually being sincere? 

34 minutes ago, Noaa said:

I think charging Volt Goats is vaguely useful? It's just hard to farm them efficiently for their milk. And longest lasting light book is like a joke? People do not want to stand around doing nothing for a whole night. Who plays like that? Are you actually being sincere? 

But doesn't the light book grow crops in caves and at night?

10 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

But doesn't the light book grow crops in caves and at night?

They do. Chegg was saying that the End is Nigh is Wicker's longest lasting light book because it'll charge a lightning rod for days and you can stand next to it at night for light to be safe from Charlie. But the radius is microscopic and people don't generally stand around doing nothing at night 

3 minutes ago, Noaa said:

They do. Chegg was saying that the End is Nigh is Wicker's longest lasting light book because it'll charge a lightning rod for days and you can stand next to it at night for light to be safe from Charlie. But the radius is microscopic and people don't generally stand around doing nothing at night 

Well guess I should have read the full context there first sorry.

3 hours ago, Noaa said:

Boats exist???????? 

12 hours ago, Noaa said:

But most players build farms in 3x3 plots that have 9 crops per quarter, and 36 total in one farm

Do you have any research that would confirm this claim about most players?

Book affects 10 books cuz this is maximum number of plants possible to have on 1 farm plot without getting overcrowded penalty 

I don't get what your change would achieve? You can still affect those 9 plants on 1 farm plot with book thst affects 10 plants per read 

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Boats exist???????? 

I mean if you think that's enough light... I don't even know. You can't even see the edge of the boat. And you can't see into the water at all so the likelihood of crashing into something is much higher. I really do not this counts as useful. Again, are you being serious? Have you actually played as/with Wickerbottom and used the End is Nigh! as a light source as a primary strategy? It honestly does feel like you're bullshitting me. 

lightningnrodboat.thumb.png.b0b4a6a3cc315cb84aed1e36ba47eac8.png

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

Book affects 10 books cuz this is maximum number of plants possible to have on 1 farm plot without getting overcrowded penalty 

I don't get what your change would achieve? You can still affect those 9 plants on 1 farm plot with book thst affects 10 plants per read 

From what I've seen in my games and in videos, recommended plots have a max of 9 plants per quarter, or 36 crops total. I mean I'm sure some people do more, but seems like most people do 9 per plot or less. In which case it would be nicer if the cost was made slightly cheaper if those extra growths are going to waste. Not a big change in any case. 

It would be hard to make the book too expensive imo, the gem is just an annoying ingredient in premise because it's what the moon makes, not what makes the moon, if that makes sense. am just a lil tired of ppl talking about the book tbh because its not even that great because light is so cheap. if you had good time management and game knowledge the effects are near neglible and you need a max/wick in the server to keep the effects to last while moonstorm is indefinite. sure you can use the book after the moonstorm but you gotta do a lil task and kill a boss, so good luck. okay, thats off my chest now.

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

I would suggest 10 and 20 if possible. If they use 9 then oh well it's a nice bonus.. I think the original book should just have some kind of bonus that the upgrade doesn't have, like you can only advance a single for crops stage but it causes less stress, and it requires less fertilization overall for bushes.

Some good change to The End is Nigh for me would be:

_Make lightning deal more damage (like 30 per strike, probably more)

_Make it so that all the lightning will strike in a specific area you choose (with a 2x2 radius)

_This lightning will not set the targets on fire.

11 hours ago, Noaa said:

ecommended plots have a max of 9 plants per quarter, or 36 crops total.

the only reason for that is nutrient combos for giant crops, since books cannot grow giant crops and since books cannot grow giant crops, 9 plant rule does not apply to books

7 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

the only reason for that is nutrient combos for giant crops, since books cannot grow giant crops, 9 plants is not recommended for book usage

Old ladies receive more sanity penalties when their crops are not aesthetically pleasing, you should've known that.

4 hours ago, Parusoid said:

the only reason for that is nutrient combos for giant crops, since books cannot grow giant crops and since books cannot grow giant crops, 9 plant rule does not apply to books

I mean I just found lots of examples of people paying, and they all used 9 crops per plot. Are there hard stats on how the community sets up farm plots. But I did try to find examples of people setting up farm plots, and they always did 9 or less. You challenged me to find proof of people using 9 crop farms and I showed you examples. Not all of those examples are for giant crops. And even if you can't grow giant crops using the books, you still want to maximize happiness of the crops to get more seeds out of the crops. 

I know that when I plant farms, I always do 3x3 for 9 crops each, whether I'm growing the crops naturally or with books. I just don't see gameplay of people doing more than that. 

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If you ever try to sail by your eyes at night you will crash. Sail by the map, you see more than you can even with moggles. 

Even if you use the map to navigate, how are you going to move? You can't use oars because you can't stand on the boat edge due ot charlie. And using sails with is probably not possible unless you have it placed in a very specific place. 

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Why is using sails not possible? 

Because it wouldn't be in range of the light provided by the lightning rod. 

I literally do not believe you have ever seriously used this. Like idk why you are arguing this. 

Archived