[Game Update] - 516063

14 minutes ago, Ohan said:

He still does not instantly spawn nightmares when reading at 0 sanity. I have tested it. 

i imagine what they meant by fixed is the new increased cost for him. 

Personally im fine with this arrangement. Its an interesting distinction like Augybear mentioned. 

I like the way it is now too, as it is a really neat dynamic. I mean the dev fixed it 22 hours ago though, so it will likely be changed in the next hotfix

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

I mean the dev fixed it 22 hours ago though, so it will likely be changed in the next hotfix

Right! Didnt think of that.. well that will certainly spice things up for the old man in addition to the cost change lol.. i personally wouldve been fine with one or the other. 

It might actually be a boon in disguise for him? Bottom out sanity with 2 reads -> farm all the n.fuel u want with repairable books. Nfuel is more useful to him than to wickerbottom and his dapperness normally complicates nightmare spawning  until u do two duelists 1 worker but hes still at the mercy of natural spawn timers then. 

Edited by Ohan

Am I the only one who finds some of the new books way to overpowered and taking away bits of the challenges that make the game fun? Full moon on an instant, as often as you want, with no boss stuff required, what the heck?? The ability to nullify two entire seasons' struggles with the rain book - what the hecker? Why craft any spring gear, why try to get a deerclops eyeball, why think about dealing with frograin, when you can just turn it off by reading a book? I feel like chaos on publics might be like never before too - Wicker can mess with Woodie, Wx and Willow from wherever she is on the map now and can lock you out of Antlion all summer if she wishes. Don't get me wrong, I like stuff too about the update, but I really feel like those two books have way to much power over the world.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

Am I the only one who finds some of the new books way to overpowered and taking away bits of the challenges that make the game fun? Full moon on an instant, as often as you want, with no boss stuff required, what the heck?? The ability to nullify two entire seasons' struggles with the rain book - what the hecker? Why craft any spring gear, why try to get a deerclops eyeball, why think about dealing with frograin, when you can just turn it off by reading a book? I feel like chaos on publics might be like never before too - Wicker can mess with Woodie, Wx and Willow from wherever she is on the map now and can lock you out of Antlion all summer if she wishes. Don't get me wrong, I like stuff too about the update, but I really feel like those two books have way to much power over the world.

I kinda see where you're coming from. The Eyebrella also has the same effect of nullifying Spring and Summer, but only for 1 person and you need to beat a boss for it.

On the other hand, turning off frog rain isn't always a boon (especially if a Wendy is around), and Summer is easily negated with 2 Thermal Stones and a fridge. Antlion's tantrums aren't really a concern at all, especially if you cave base. The oasis sandstorm only effects you until you get the goggles, and forcing rain makes that process "slightly" less tedious.

Overall, I don't see anything wrong with Wickerbottom being able to stop and start rain on demand, except for the Willow/WX griefing as you mentioned. Fixing the Woodie issue can be resolved by not emptying his stomach after a transformation, but that also applies to the whole moonstorm issue discussed earlier in this thread. Woodie shouldn't be getting punished so hard by full moons if there's points in the game that makes them a daily occurrence.

Hang on, has anybody tested if forcing rain cancels moonstorms like sandstorms?

1 hour ago, AugyBear said:

I kinda see where you're coming from. The Eyebrella also has the same effect of nullifying Spring and Summer, but only for 1 person and you need to beat a boss for it.

On the other hand, turning off frog rain isn't always a boon (especially if a Wendy is around), and Summer is easily negated with 2 Thermal Stones and a fridge. Antlion's tantrums aren't really a concern at all, especially if you cave base. The oasis sandstorm only effects you until you get the goggles, and forcing rain makes that process "slightly" less tedious.

Overall, I don't see anything wrong with Wickerbottom being able to stop and start rain on demand, except for the Willow/WX griefing as you mentioned. Fixing the Woodie issue can be resolved by not emptying his stomach after a transformation, but that also applies to the whole moonstorm issue discussed earlier in this thread. Woodie shouldn't be getting punished so hard by full moons if there's points in the game that makes them a daily occurrence.

Hang on, has anybody tested if forcing rain cancels moonstorms like sandstorms?

Personally the powers come off as using console commands vs actually surviving/adapting to what the game throws at you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Personally the powers come off as using console commands vs actually surviving/adapting to what the game throws at you.

Be careful. That is basically what I said and you saw how it ended. 

Edited by maxwell_winters
  • Haha 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

To be fair, "adapting to what the game throws at you" consists of putting on 1 of 3 different hats, leading a giant into a forest, or leading a pack of hounds to a beefalo herd.

There is very little in this game that you are forced to deal with as the game dictates. Most of the challenges are entirely optional and up to the players to seek out on their own time.

1 hour ago, maxwell_winters said:

Be careful. That is basically what I said and you saw how it ended. 

I must have missed this one lol, how did it turn out?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AugyBear said:

To be fair, "adapting to what the game throws at you" consists of putting on 1 of 3 different hats, leading a giant into a forest, or leading a pack of hounds to a beefalo herd.

There is very little in this game that you are forced to deal with as the game dictates. Most of the challenges are entirely optional and up to the players to seek out on their own time.

It might sound silly when you look at it that way but even then while the game gives you multiple ways to deal with problems there's usually a level of strain on the player. putting on different hats removes a equip slot from you and still requires you to find a way to keep the proper temperature range on top of that. Having hounds fight beefalo comes with the risk of beefalo extinction eventually. With Bearager while far from the intended way to handle things still has potential dangers and could very well end it's benefits early depending on how well you manage him combined with rng. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

Strain.png

for example hat and thermal is the usual way to deal with winter however Wurt for example can use a seaonal fish instead and while it's definitely easier you still have 1. do a lot of fishing and use a lot of resources to setup a network of them throughout the island or 2. use one and make a mad dash back to it everytime the fish is close to dying. In Warly's case he could use his temperature dishes to get though the season but he has to upkeep the ingredients to pull it off not equal levels of efforts of course but I feel like my point is clear.

39 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

what

I've had a herd go extinct to hounds in the past but it may very well have been my fault in some way it's been a really long time since I've used beefalo to fight hounds. 

4 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

for example hat and thermal is the usual way to deal with winter however Wurt for example can use a seaonal fish instead and while it's definitely easier you still have 1. do a lot of fishing and use a lot of resources to setup a network of them throughout the island or 2. use one and make a mad dash back to it everytime the fish is close to dying. In Warly's case he could use his temperature dishes to get though the season but he has to upkeep the ingredients to pull it off not equal levels of efforts of course but I feel like my point is clear.

Not sure if you got what I was trying to say (apologies if I'm interpreting your response wrong).

Wickerbottom's "strain" has always been sanity management. Every book drains your sanity. This means that if you're reading multiple books somewhat regularly (which is the whole point of Wickerbottom), you're either usually insane or need an industrial level of sanity food. Now, you could argue that sanity isn't an issue because of lunar island and bone helm, but both of these require effort to attain (similar to how Wurt requires effort to obtain sunfish and ice bream). You could argue insanity isn't an issue because nightmare creatures are easy, but this is ignoring the constant drain on weapons, sometimes armor, and especially time that would still occur. You could argue sanity food is easy to acquire (which I frankly don't believe given the quanity of sanity Wickerbottom burns through), but by that same token you could argue ingredients for Warly's temperature dishes are easy to acquire.

Point is: Practical Rain Rituals isn't free. 

• Like 3
  • Potato Cup 1

2 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

Not sure if you got what I was trying to say (apologies if I'm interpreting your response wrong).

Wickerbottom's "strain" has always been sanity management. Every book drains your sanity. This means that if you're reading multiple books somewhat regularly (which is the whole point of Wickerbottom), you're either usually insane or need an industrial level of sanity food. Now, you could argue that sanity isn't an issue because of lunar island and bone helm, but both of these require effort to attain (similar to how Wurt requires effort to obtain sunfish and ice bream). You could argue insanity isn't an issue because nightmare creatures are easy, but this is ignoring the constant drain on weapons, sometimes armor, and especially time that would still occur. You could argue sanity food is easy to acquire (which I frankly don't believe given the quanity of sanity Wickerbottom burns through), but by that same token you could argue ingredients for Warly's temperature dishes are easy to acquire.

Point is: Practical Rain Rituals isn't free. 

I'm not trying to say it's free I more so just don't think the cost really justifies the effect but I also completely accept that there probably isn't a justifiable you could give it without making it's use either overly tedious or scaring players away from the idea of using it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I've had a herd go extinct to hounds in the past but it may very well have been my fault in some way it's been a really long time since I've used beefalo to fight hounds

never seen that before. Beefalos dying from frog rains can be possible but for hounds? if they werent really hurt from a previous fight is really hard, not even vargs can kill them

in my current world i have a group of them on top of 2 moose goose spawn, they always kill one of them +their children without problems very fast but one time they were even able to kill the goose, her children plus +120 frogs before the 1st beefalo died (i unloaded the area when i saw the 1st beef dying)

they also reg hp over time so between waves they are full health

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

never seen that before. Beefalos dying from frog rains can be possible but for hounds? if they werent really hurt from a previous fight is really hard, not even vargs can kill them

in my current world i have a group of them on top of 2 moose goose spawn, they always kill one of them +their children without problems very fast but one time they were even able to kill the goose, her children plus +120 frogs before the 1st beefalo died (i unloaded the area when i saw the 1st beef dying)

they also reg hp over time so between waves they are full health

I know about their hp regen and honestly I can't really give a good explanation on it as it was a long time ago all I know is because of it I've never used beefalo to fight hounds since.

Edited by Mysterious box

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

In my world, a herd of beefalos completely went extinct because of 2 meese geese in spring. As for the hound waves, I never tested know how beefalos handle Varglets. 

1 hour ago, maxwell_winters said:

In my world, a herd of beefalos completely went extinct because of 2 meese geese in spring. As for the hound waves, I never tested know how beefalos handle Varglets. 

2 might be too much if they didnt reproduce enough

i didnt say they fought both, is just that the herd is on top of 2 nest from the moose goose set piece