Serious question

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Good thing there's a book that triggers the requirement for a moon caller event no? Even then it's not like she needs to take both of them.

I don't think so, people usually take pan flute/mandrakes in the endless server i play and just quit, i think the same will happen if the recipe for the lunar grimoire were the iridescent gem, people would get it and just quit the server.

5 minutes ago, dois raios said:

I don't think so, people usually take pan flute/mandrakes in the endless server i play and just quit, i think the same will happen if the recipe for the lunar grimoire were the iridescent gem, people would get it and just quit the server.

I mean if we're balancing around that logic what about people who can and will use the rain book to kill players with endless rain or use endless full moons to harass Woodie players we can't just say "Well we shouldn't do this because people will do that." While ignoring the possibility of people doing something else. 

Just now, Mysterious box said:

I mean if we're balancing around that logic what about people who can and will use the rain book to kill players with endless rain or use endless full moons to harass Woodie players we can't just say "Well we should do this because people will do that." While ignoring the possibility of people doing something else. 

You are right, i am wrong, i have no arguments. ;-;

You complain that a character with multiple powerful abilities would be unable to access one of them without caves. In the meantime, Wanda is trash without caves. You can only have 1 alarming clock and 1 healing watch which isn't enough to survive. Or you just have 3 healing watches and 1 backstep watch. But then you lock yourself out of the strongest weapon in the game and are forced to rely on dark sword. Apart from that, neither of those scenarios allow you to set up a teleportation network.

Wickerbottom would lose as much if one of her 17(!) books is locked behind the caves. 

1. No, the books are incredibly cheap. One can easily grab a stack of reeds just from running through the swamp whilst outlining the map. And Moonrocks can be found in the mosiac biome before reaching Lunar.

2. Even if they weren't so cheap, You don't need to craft that many. The Bookshelf will repair books in it's inventory over time. Meaning that you only need to craft 3-4 copies of the Lunar Grimoire to just completely negate night time. Just cycle through the books, and by the time you use the last book, the first one will be fully repaired. 

2 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Meaning that you only need to craft 3-4 copies of the Lunar Grimoire to just completely negate night time.

...at the cost of 50 sanity per day. I've been playing Wickerbottom a lot today and I was honestly baffled to learn that the lunar grimoire takes 50 sanity per cast. People talk about it here like it's free but no it absolutely has a hefty cost.

3 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

...at the cost of 50 sanity per day. I've been playing Wickerbottom a lot today and I was honestly baffled to learn that the lunar grimoire takes 50 sanity per cast. People talk about it here like it's free but no it absolutely has a hefty cost.

I mean... Eh?

Just wearing a Tam o' Shanter consistantly is going to refund about 75-80% of that (53 Sanity a day- whatever's lost at Dusk and Night). And even then, Sanity's pretty easy to manage once you know where to look. Cactus, Green Mushrooms, and dried kelp are all cheap ways to restore sanity. And sense Wickerbottom's got farming books, she can easily grow crops for the magnitude of sanity foods those can make.

3 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

Sanity is easily restorable, especially for Wicker that can rapidly grow food. The problem is that the book with power like that should be locked behind a challenging quest line. You don't just pick up bone armor in the mosaic biome on Day 1. 

2 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Just wearing a Tam o' Shanter consistantly is going to refund about 75-80% of that (53 Sanity a day- whatever's lost at Dusk and Night). And even then, Sanity's pretty easy to manage once you know where to look. Cactus, Green Mushrooms, and dried kelp are all cheap ways to restore sanity. And sense Wickerbottom's got farming books, she can easily grow crops for the magnitude of sanity foods those can make.

I know about sanity options in this videogame. These options however all take cost and effort. After playing a good few seasons with Wickerbottom having to CONSTANTLY manage her sanity via foods for even just scattered uses like summoning bees, using the everything encyclopedia, a bit of sleepy time stories, etc, results in your sanity being near rock bottom all the time. I do not think adding -50 sanity to every single day is going to go well if you're using any other books like... at all.

12 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

I know about sanity options in this videogame. These options however all take cost and effort. After playing a good few seasons with Wickerbottom having to CONSTANTLY manage her sanity via foods for even just scattered uses like summoning bees, using the everything encyclopedia, a bit of sleepy time stories, etc, results in your sanity being near rock bottom all the time. I do not think adding -50 sanity to every single day is going to go well if you're using any other books like... at all.

What about cactus and even then her fish book spawns a ton of would be sanity food there's plenty of very easy ways to restore sanity but even if there weren't I don't see why sanity should be easy to restore with abilities on the level Wickerbottom has. I get it less experienced players managing their sanity can be a issue but as you learn more options when it comes to sanity I feel you'll feel different about a meager 50 sanity per day cost and I'm willing to bet when she has a surge in popularity those who choose to stick to her will go about learning those various methods.

17 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

I mean... Eh?

spoken from the perspective whos had a fair bit of experience with the new wickerbottom, a constant -50 sanity penalty + whatever else you choose to use books for is hefty. Especially outside of a late game setting. I don't think the book is be-all end-all. It's definitely very good, but. Yeah.

6 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

but as you learn more options when it comes to sanity I feel you'll feel different about a meager 50 sanity per day cost

??? i know how to restore sanity??? i know what cactus is???

for whats its worth also i am not complaining about the -50 sanity cost. i am mentioning it in DEFENSE of the book. i think it is good that it takes a lot of sanity to cast, and i think people are leaving it out of all discussion about this book in a way that feels disingenuous

Just now, meow meow meow said:

??? i know how to restore sanity??? i know what cactus is???

for whats its worth also i am not complaining about the -50 sanity cost. i am mentioning it in DEFENSE of the book. i think it is good that it takes a lot of sanity to cast, and i think people are leaving it out of all discussion about this book in a way that feels disingenuous

They're leaving it out of the discussion because it's so minor it's almost non existent with basic knowledge of sanity restoration methods.

I don't think wicker needs a nerf, let the lady shine! So tired of the OP topic. Why do ppl want to nerf a character they don't even play? Makes no sense. Our characters are going to need to grow because Klei isn't going to stop adding new threats

4 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

I don't think wicker needs a nerf, let the lady shine! So tired of the OP topic. Why do ppl want to nerf a character they don't even play? Makes no sense. Our characters are going to need to grow because Klei isn't going to stop adding new threats

The playable characters are already far outstripping the power level of mobs and some bosses to the point I swear it's the survivors who are terrorizing the constant that being said I don't really see making the crafting cost more expensive a nerf per say it's not like the book won't still summon the full moon.

1 minute ago, maxwell_winters said:

Because a said character affects the entire server? 

Realistically, all the grimoire really needs is a way for woodie to gain more agency (perhaps the grimoire wouldn't effect him at all? that might be a bit lame) and preferably a way to call a new moon as well with it. Therein, the two harmful effects of the book are negated.

7 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

The playable characters are already far outstripping the power level of mobs and some bosses to the point I swear it's the survivors who are terrorizing the constant that being said I don't really see making the crafting cost more expensive a nerf per say it's not like the book won't still summon the full moon.

I'm speaking to the general tone of all the threads after every rework. It seems to be a consistent theme of ppl saying nerf this or that. But I guess that's what the forums are for. I'm just tired of the need to nerf that I see happen all the time

Klei is also planning ahead to 2023 and we have no idea what they have planned in the future

1 minute ago, LitulLola said:

I'm speaking to the general tone of all the threads after every rework. It seems to be a consistent theme of ppl saying nerf this or that. But I guess that's what the forums are for. I'm just tired of the need to nerf that I see happen all the time

Fair enough personally I do feel like some of the books have crossed the line of what I felt should be left to character perks myself but I also understand the game is leaning harder into being a power fantasy sandbox so I feel like I can understand the heavy nerf mentality.

10 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Realistically, all the grimoire really needs is a way for woodie to gain more agency (perhaps the grimoire wouldn't effect him at all? that might be a bit lame) and preferably a way to call a new moon as well with it. Therein, the two harmful effects of the book are negated.

No, it's not. For years the moon has been built up as a mysterious powerful force that has various effects on the world. And now they gave us an item that can easily manipulate it from the first autumn. You don't even need to visit moon-affected places like Lunar Island and Grotto to craft it. This is a joke.

I don't really get why people really think the full moon is OP, it's not like we aren't already managing night time already, everyone even new player learns that on first day. Sure if a wicker player agrees to do a full moon every day then perhaps everyone can free up ONE inventory space for light source / save some time to gather light bulb or grass and stick. But then you would be in trouble if that wicker have to leave / for some reason she couldn't do full moon for the day, which mean you still need some light source at ready just to be cautious anyway. It's really just good for Krampus farming and Werepig, which can be dangerous too. Like what makes it that OP? Use a group of Werepigs to cheese boss? If that's the case is it so different from tentacle books?

The only thing I am a bit concerned with is that people who rely on pigs get greatly in danger if Wicker decide to troll them with full moon whenever they recruit pigs, or Woodies gets greatly inconvenienced. But as people says, creativity gets greatly reduced if we design everything toward griefing-proof. Might as well as just delete torches.

Archived