Multitasking in ONI: Breakaway observation windows

I generally play Spaced Out, but even in Vanilla, I have a problem where if I have multiple tasks going on at the same time.  I lose track of the projects and sometimes end up with significant delays because I did not know a phase of construction was complete or I forget that I even have a project. 

To that end, I think it would be great if I could keep an eye on my projects.  I think ONI should allow for breakout windows which can be used to watch different areas of the colony or other asteroids (in Spaced Out).  That way, I could have a window observing my petroleum boiler project, my in project rocket silo, my slickster ranch in progress, and any other projects I am working on.  I think this would be even better in Spaced Out, as I could watch projects on multiple asteroids.  I have two monitors, but I would gladly give up a significant portion of my main monitor to have this functionality.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:47 AM, Zarquan said:

I generally play Spaced Out, but even in Vanilla, I have a problem where if I have multiple tasks going on at the same time.  I lose track of the projects and sometimes end up with significant delays because I did not know a phase of construction was complete or I forget that I even have a project. 

To that end, I think it would be great if I could keep an eye on my projects.  I think ONI should allow for breakout windows which can be used to watch different areas of the colony or other asteroids (in Spaced Out).  That way, I could have a window observing my petroleum boiler project, my in project rocket silo, my slickster ranch in progress, and any other projects I am working on.  I think this would be even better in Spaced Out, as I could watch projects on multiple asteroids.  I have two monitors, but I would gladly give up a significant portion of my main monitor to have this functionality.

to you have a idea what you asking for?

i hope you have 2x more powerful pc than intel 12 series CPU. or to you invented a way that game can now fully run at multicores

oni disables by default allot stuff what is out off screen, what you asking makes huge performance drop in game

12 hours ago, gabberworld said:

to you have a idea what you asking for?

i hope you have 2x more powerful pc than intel 12 series CPU. or to you invented a way that game can now fully run at multicores

oni disables by default allot stuff what is out off screen, what you asking makes huge performance drop in game

I doubt that it disables that much off screen.  From my understanding, the game spends most of its computational resources doing physics calculations and pathfinding, both of which need to be done accurately off screen and on screen.  I highly doubt I would need a computer multiple times more powerful than what I have.  Plus, it doesn't need to be a perfect view to be useful.  It could be limited.

11 hours ago, Magheat2009 said:

Use Control+1,2,3,4...9 to set quick toggle views. Press Shift+ respective number to switch between them quickly. (Works this way on Windows)

I tried that, but it was too awkward for me.  I never remember which button was which project.  Plus, then I have to actively check each project rather than a more passive approach of being able to just look at them. 

9 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I doubt that it disables that much off screen.  From my understanding, the game spends most of its computational resources doing physics calculations and pathfinding, both of which need to be done accurately off screen and on screen.  I highly doubt I would need a computer multiple times more powerful than what I have.  Plus, it doesn't need to be a perfect view to be useful.  It could be limited.

I tried that, but it was too awkward for me.  I never remember which button was which project.  Plus, then I have to actively check each project rather than a more passive approach of being able to just look at them. 

Oh man.  graficks comes also from cpu . Its not only pathfinding . If it would be that easy we would see much higer gpu usage and less cpu usage.

2 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

Oh man.  graficks comes also from cpu . Its not only pathfinding . If it would be that easy we would see much higer gpu usage and less cpu usage.

ONI has extremely simplistic graphics.  They are not a problem, otherwise we wouldn't be able to zoom out to see the whole map.

23 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

But the game still runs though.  I would gladly sacrifice some framerate to have this feature.

Its not about you but about those people who hit already they limit. 10 fps loss for them at end game may mean that they cant play anymore that save file

58 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

Its not about you but about those people who hit already they limit. 10 fps loss for them at end game may mean that they cant play anymore that save file

If a player's framerate is that bad, then they wouldn't have to use the feature.  It is purely optional.

I would love to have breakaway windows as an optional feature in this game.  It would allow for easier passive monitoring of projects or just contraptions I like to watch, and I have multiple monitors to take full advantage of such a feature.  I agree with @Zarquan that using Ctrl+# and Shift+# is awkward and it's a feature I don't use often.

If this feature was added to the game it wouldn't affect anyone who doesn't use the feature so @gabberworld is making an absolutely pointless argument.  Believe it or not @gabberworld you can let people make suggestions and not come in and tear them down with performance arguments.  Especially since Klei will never implement this anyway.

16 minutes ago, tuxii said:

I would love to have breakaway windows as an optional feature in this game.  It would allow for easier passive monitoring of projects or just contraptions I like to watch, and I have multiple monitors to take full advantage of such a feature.  I agree with @Zarquan that using Ctrl+# and Shift+# is awkward and it's a feature I don't use often.

If this feature was added to the game it wouldn't affect anyone who doesn't use the feature so @gabberworld is making an absolutely pointless argument.  Believe it or not @gabberworld you can let people make suggestions and not come in and tear them down with performance arguments.  Especially since Klei will never implement this anyway.

Im sure he not need your bodycard. He can hantle himself wery well.

3 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

Im sure he not need your bodycard. He can hantle himself wery well.

Absolutely none of your posts in this thread are helpful or relevant, so please stop posting unless you have something helpful to add. You made your point that it could affect performance.

I don't see why you have to call me a "bodycard."

I think it's a great suggestion and if it were added to the game people could choose not to use it to to maintain their performance and those with a computer that could handle using the feature could have it available.

20 minutes ago, tuxii said:

Absolutely none of your posts in this thread are helpful or relevant, so please stop posting unless you have something helpful to add. You made your point that it could affect performance.

I don't see why you have to call me a "bodycard."

I think it's a great suggestion and if it were added to the game people could choose not to use it to to maintain their performance and those with a computer that could handle using the feature could have it available.

How it was not helpfull? Without  discussion he not also tell that this feature can be as optional.

Kid go play tetris .

Split Screen or Multi Monitor support for viewing additional different areas, asteroids, or even rocket interiors would be very useful.  As for performance concerns, there are things you can do as a player to mitigate performance issues in the base game right now like doing mass sweep commands to reduce the thermal transfer calculations of debris and either vacuum out or fill in large empty spaces with tiles to reduce dupe/critter pathing calculations and the pressure movement and thermal transfer calculations of fluids.

It doesn't take much to learn how to mitigate these problems as a player.  Playing smarter and more efficiently has the beneficial effect of making the game run better. Or you can vent excess gasses/liquids into space, cull all unnecessary critters, and find creative ways to delete excess solid debris.

Obviously it would require more processing to put two or more areas "on screen" simultaneously but it would be a super useful feature to anyone with a good enough gaming rig to take advantage of it and I honestly feel you seriously over-estimate of how much extra processing it would really take.

The real limiting factor would be whether or not Klei would commit development time to implementing such a feature and further optimizing the game to make sure this feature would be stable and usable for the average player.  That's not something any outsider is truly qualified to judge, but my best guess is this is probably something that's much easier to add in the early planning stages as a core game feature rather than something added on in a future DLC.

It's nice to dream about and express interest in, even if it's unlikely to be implemented. But shooting down other people's suggestions with concerns over game performance and not letting up after you've said your piece is just being argumentative and uncool.

Why

On 5/16/2022 at 9:04 AM, gabberworld said:

o you have a idea what you asking for?

i hope you have 2x more powerful pc than intel 12 series CPU

Why you think so? Is it matter - display 1 screen with X things, or display 2 screens with x/2 things on each?

3 hours ago, degr said:

Why

Why you think so? Is it matter - display 1 screen with X things, or display 2 screens with x/2 things on each?

its not really needed 2x better pc. but by default oni game disables animation at one point when its out off screen, adding that data to screen what by default is disabled  does drop performance.

this stuff i been tested at sandbox mode that what happens when animation is out off screen.

that causes also some performance issues in dlc because other maps are too close to each others. i been talked that before but who is me right?

this how it works in oni, everything what is out off pre screen buffer then oni disables some part off features at them, that allows game run more stable

oni.thumb.png.960ff43d8698feca1dee133f140bbd2a.png

buffer used as pre load data other way game would look weird when you move screen fast.

i not like that planets are too close in dlc because screen buffer may load also data from them what not needed at all

now he is asking something like this

onin.thumb.png.4e3eff615bc58918e23bb34c79a3dcf6.png

that is even more data

7 hours ago, gabberworld said:

this how it works in oni, everything what is out off pre screen buffer then oni disables some part off features at them, that allows game run more stable

For sure, it is most optimal way how to do it, but I can't understand why you need more solid hardware? In one large screen game will show let's say 50 animations, on two small screens game will show let's say... hm..  50 animations totally. So, I can't understand why 50 animations on two screens required in two times more resources then 50 animations on one screen. 

PS. I assemble my pc in the year 2017, and I barely see how fps fall down if I zoom out game that way I can see all asteroid (vanilla, not dlc). Are you playing from mobile phone or raspberry pi?

PPS I got real issues with performance only once, when I build 100 dupes colony and make all of them use jet suits everywhere except living rooms. But problem was not with graphics, it was about pathfinding.

3 hours ago, degr said:

For sure, it is most optimal way how to do it, but I can't understand why you need more solid hardware? In one large screen game will show let's say 50 animations, on two small screens game will show let's say... hm..  50 animations totally. So, I can't understand why 50 animations on two screens required in two times more resources then 50 animations on one screen. 

it still depends how player play. you say that you have 50 but another user may have 1000 critter food farm

also what you mean 50 animation? if one view you have 50 animation and another you have also 50 then that is 100 animation what needed calculate by cpu

also what you mean "it is most optimal way how to do it". that is how current ONI works. he is asking draw more data what is already optimized by devs 

im not against about this feature as far its optional

On 6/5/2022 at 5:36 AM, gabberworld said:

also what you mean 50 animation? if one view you have 50 animation and another you have also 50 then that is 100 animation what needed calculate by cpu

If you have a 1000 critter farm, you just don't look at it with the mini display.

On 6/5/2022 at 5:36 AM, gabberworld said:

im not against about this feature as far its optional

I see no reason why you would be forced to use this.  I personally would like to have these go to multiple windows (either full fledged ONI windows or just displays) so I can put them on my second monitor.

Not being able to passively view multiple projects simultaneously slows me down.  For example, I might have a multi-layered construction task where things have to be done in the right order.  I regularly use Yellow Alert on these simply because I need to know when they are done while working on something else.  Not being able to passively view the jobs means that I will regularly forget about important projects.

Archived