Should Wes regain sanity with prototypes?

Should Wes regain sanity with prototypes?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. (Or when he learns something new?)

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

Why Wes got such a low sanity anyway? It doesn't even make sense, he suffer alot but he doesn't go cazy in his short.

8 minutes ago, Cursed Name said:

I don't think cheap and easy sanity should be accessible to Wes. Even if it doesn't make sense.

How does Wes gain sanity from prototype make sense?

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

is already a thing for every character

I mean Wilson should get a little bit more than other because I thought this as should Wes gain more sanity than other character.

Pointless change. Cactus flesh, green caps, flowers, etc are all even more accessible than prototyping. 

Plus, easily accessible sanity is Wes' whole thing now. He can hunt terrorbeaks nonstop and turn it all into sanity balloons.

4 hours ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

It's a 1 time thing dude.

That's exactly why. It doesn't matter because it's such a small thing.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Pointless change.

It obviously doesn't make sense.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Cactus flesh, green caps, flowers, etc are all even more accessible than prototyping. 

But flowers are not a reliable resource.

And new players don't know that.

2 minutes ago, Cursed Name said:

It obviously doesn't make sense.

new players dont play wes,,,

edit: and idk you but didnt took much time to learn what effects had mushrooms and cacti, is just about experimenting. Was easier than learning certain newbie recipes

Wes isn’t hard to play as, the conception that Wes is hard to play as is one made on false assumptions..

There are other characters far harder to play as than Wes (try playing Warly without knowing a single one of his food dishes as a noob with limited crockpot discoveries)

Wes has no actual “Real” penalties- he can eat every type of food- he isn’t bound to meat like Wigfrid, or Veggies like Wurt, or even a picky eater like Warly..

Wes gets hot/cold faster but that also means they can do the reverse just as fast.

Wes has lower Sanity.. but that just means he can refill it that much faster.

As far as should he gain sanity making stuff? This is such a tiny little thing that it won’t even matter.. Garlands are enough to keep Wes Sane- but there’s also a multitude of other ways: Such as- Swapping to Wendy building Sisturns (incredibly useful on boating trips) and/or farming silk for top hats.

Standing near Glommer, Eating cooked green mushrooms or Cacti..

I can also state that if a new player wanted to play as Wes they could do so with little problem…. He isn’t that hard, Wormwood, Warly, Wurt heck even Walter… Those will be far more challenging for a newer player.

53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wes gets hot/cold faster but that also means they can do the reverse just as fast.

i'm no expert when it comes to the game's code but i think the game priorities heat insulation values (wes has -30) in winter and spring and priorities cold insulation vaules (-30 for wes) in summer and autumn in DST, meaning that it is actually a downside no matter how you look at it.

49 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

i'm no expert when it comes to the game's code but i think the game priorities heat insulation values (wes has -30) in winter and spring and priorities cold insulation vaules (-30 for wes) in summer and autumn in DST, meaning that it is actually a downside no matter how you look at it

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Winter insulation only affects how fast a character's temperature decreases when below 35°, and how fast a character can heat up is capped at 1° per second, and is not affected by insulation. Therefore, wes having less insulation is strictly a downside. (https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Freezing#Insulated_Rate)

In the same way, summer insulation only delays overheating, and cooling maxes out based on item used to cool (couldn't find an exact date). (https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Overheating?so=search)

Also, only winter or summer insulation is used, not both (depending on the season)

3 hours ago, Cursed Name said:

They are far more reliable than things you can prototype. You also completely ignored everything else in the list.

3 hours ago, Cursed Name said:

Yes they do, have you never been on a public server? Flowers are nonstop picked while not a single thing is ever prototypes for sanity. The mechanic new players don't know is that prototyping gives sanity, they all know all about the flowers.

At some point flowers will run out.

There is not a significant amount of flowers in all biomes.

Stopping being insane doesn't mean the nightmares will stop attacking.

15 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You also completely ignored everything else in the list.

What would the rest of the list be?

I don't see anything to mention. These things are not known to new players.

But since prototyping is less accessible, gaining sanity by eating and picking flowers is the best way to regain sanity.

So I see no reason to get attached to such a small detail.

Veterans don't need it and new players don't either.

Like @Waynelsaid,

"Not even mentioning how much sanity is restored during your first autumn via prototyping items."

and that's why I think if Wes sets out to be a challenging character. That shouldn't be a thing.

As I cannot express myself in a simple way, I am making the words of another member my own.

6 hours ago, Cursed Name said:

"Not even mentioning how much sanity is restored during your first autumn via prototyping items." - Waynel

and that's why I think if Wes sets out to be a challenging character. That shouldn't be a thing.

As I cannot express myself in a simple way, I am making the words of another member my own.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:14 AM, Cursed Name said:

"It's a 1 time thing dude. Besides, doesn't Wes have like, 75 sanity?" - SecretPizzaMan

How does this feature make Wes a less challenging character? 

8 hours ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

How does this feature make Wes a less challenging character? 

I never expected him to be less challenging.

I just found it interesting to have more of this disadvantage.

That would definitely change the beginning of the game a lot.

I just don't understand why people aren't willing to give up the sanity of prototypes, if they themselves say there are better options to regain sanity.

Spoiler

Sometimes I think he could have a different mechanic than just lower stats. And I make suggestions by sharing some ideas.

This is not one of those threads where I put these ideas.

Wes’s entire design is his misery helps others, soooo if gaining sanity from prototypes was removed- 

he should LOSE Sanity while prototyping.. but: Everyone else in the server who isn’t also Wes will gain Sanity from his prototyping.

Without turning this into a TL:DR- 

Perfectly matching how Klei portrays him in his animated short where his misfortune benefits others.

Doesn't really makes any sense to me from a realism perspective.. why would a survivor in the constant NOT get sanity from making something that will increase their chances of survival? I do understand it is to make Wes "more difficult" because he is the challenge character. I am fine with whichever but would it really make much of a difference anyways? Most people who play Wes should know how to double hit and kite shadow creatures and should be wanting to be insane anyways for nightmare fuel. I usually eat raw green caps at the beginning of the playthrough to force going insane anyways so for me the sanity gained from prototyping would be counterproductive giving me sanity that I don't even want.

Archived