Changes i would like to see.

1) Increased optimization.
It's just disgusting, the only game in which fps death is possible. Perhaps it was worth writing your own engine. But it's impossible to enjoy it at a later stage.

2) Cold.
I still don’t understand why high temperature is a serious threat to a Duplicant, and cold, apart from debuff, does not threaten anything.
Low temperatures should be deadly, and impose serious debuffs that threaten the rate of development of the colony.

3) Athletics (movement speed).
At the initial stages, Dublicans are very slow, but they constantly develop the skill of running, and become incredibly fast.
Since each skill point gives +10%(-10%) and this is unscaled, -5 skill points when you have 1 athletics severely reduces movement speed, but when a duplicant has 10 athletics, there is no noticeable change at all.
Each duplicant should have their native athletics value based on traits. And it shouldn't evolve over the course of the game.It is worth introducing athletics into the skill tree.

4) Make the game harder.
With the current state of things, there are no problems for the colony, if only because one of the problems was practically removed. And this is the temperature control of the colony. There are cold biomes, cold geysers, the gravitas temperature destroyer.
Remove such geysers from the game. Heating -20 C is very easy, and not punished even in the laziest way. But cooling takes time, production and technology.
The second problem is again the same water geysers. There should not be so many of them. Water on all asteroids should be in a catastrophic deficit, with the exception of a water planet, and ice. (On an ice planet, water is in a frozen state, and it would make sense to transport it as a refrigerant and source of water to the native colony). (On a water planet, water must be hot, or simply problematic for free use).

5) Rough metal and refined metal.
It is strange that rough metal is a non-renewable resource, and some buildings other than steel cannot be built without it. For such an amount of use of steel, an unimaginable amount is needed. In addition, there are polished diggers that become unnecessary.
I propose to introduce metal ore with its states of aggregation, so that there would be no global processing, to set the same thermal values \u200b\u200bfor the corresponding pure liquid metal. If it evaporates, then liquid ore turns into pure gaseous metal.
Geysers of copper, iron, aluminum, and I probably forgot some other (!), Now they produce Liquid ore and not pure metal.
The player will have to spend time and a duplicate resource on metal processing. This will diversify the game.

6)-1 Nerf water electrolyzer.
It is too easily available and unreasonably profitable. I tested different systems. And made a super profitable system. The problem was the loss of hydrogen, and only 90% was produced. If you put the pump directly above the electrolyser, then there will be no short-term high pressure, due to which the electrolyzer skips ticks of work, and then such a system gives MORE energy than it consumes. And this is WITHOUT ACCELERATION.
720 consumption, 800 output. If I'm not mistaken. (1 pump with a filter for hydrogen. 1 pump for oxygen and an electrolyzer.)
The electrolyzer should consume 2 times more energy.

6)-2
Improvement of hydrogen geysers.
Now that we've dealt with the electrolyser, I suggest handing over the hydrogen mechanics.
A hydrogen generator requires much more hydrogen for maximum power. But the power is also increased. Everything is balanced in such a way that electrolyzers would give less energy, and a hydrogen geyser was the best natural source of energy. Better than natural gas.
The geyser produces much more hydrogen, and for this it is more difficult to master - due to the temperature load caused by the higher concentration of the eruption.
Also, higher power will reduce the number of hydrogen generators to sane. 1-2 generators for 16+ duplicants and 1 hydrogen geyser.
In these realities, a hydrogen geyser is absolutely useless for all purposes. It gives too little for energy generation, and an electrolyzer is enough for domestic use.

7) Nerf steel.
Why? Thermium is very difficult to get, and it is unnecessary, because with skill, you can make ABSOLUTELY any system. Reduce the characteristics of steel given to equipment.
To lower the heat capacity and the maximum temperature. Now it will be impossible to remove magma from the steam chamber with a manipulator, because even with my knowledge of the game and a bunch of automation, in such environments the manipulator warmed up by 70-85%. Now there will also be problems in the production of metal geysers.
Thermium should be a material that unlocks any technical limitations in structural automation. Steel should be a material that gives the POSSIBILITY to use the system through crutches.Thermium makes no sense because of this.

8) Request technology.
When this technology is studied, it is possible to print on order for Data files,once every 3 * 4 cycles.

9) Vacuum.
The threshold value of the minimum substance is 1 gram.

10)The uniqueness of the planets.
I would like to have 1 unique biome on each of the planets.
For example, an ice hedgehog rolling like a ball and eating a Christmas tree-palm that consumes polluted ice. The hedgehog curls up into a ball and is difficult to get.Banana cone grow on a palm tree. This is on an ice planet.
Introduce some kind of piranha on water planet, like a morph pacu. A pacu can only morph by eating SPECIAL algae on such a planet. And a flock of monkeys throwing poop on duplicants causing food poisoning. You can think of a lot of things, but unfortunately you need resources and mechanics for this whole thing, and the game doesn’t need anything already in principle. But still I would like to see something like that.

1. I hope more optimization is possible.

2. I wish they`d add some more cold damage aside of breaking pipes. It could add more depth to the material selection if certain stuff provided different cold tolerance. Atm only gold amalgam and steel really matter for most uses. Imagine if you needed cobalt or aluminium for cold stuff and a new alloy for near absolute zero handling.

3. Negative modifiers should be multilicative not additive. This is the reason people don`t care about slimelung or disease in general when the debuff is barely noticable on high level dupes. I think them getting faster is important for improvement but i`d add a repeatable skill to dump skill points (and increase potential morale needs) and introduce more passive speed boosts like more advanced tiles and ladders requiring advnaced materials.

4. I think a resource/geyser amount slider would do the trick. I agree that there is sometimes too much water on some worlds but for people playing 100+ dupes it`s required.

5. I agree that metal volcanoes should produce ore. But rather than ahving it evaporated to refine i`d set the treshold for refined metal above the temperature the vocano outputs. It would output a liquid ore state that solidifies into ore but changes into refined metal if heated.

6. Hydrogen is often a nuisance rather than a resource if you don`t plan for using it. I`d like an early game use for it so it doesn`t sit at the top of the base causing problems. Yeah self powering electrolizers seem pretty weird i guess we can live with it consuming more power. It`s supposed to be a more advanced oxygen producer anyway.

7. Back to point 2. Leave steel as is for high temps but make it break below -25 C. Then introduce another alloy that works down to absolute zero but overheats at +75 C. Thermium would go both to absolute zero and +1000 C as it does currently.

8. Im not sure what you mean. A special research that produces data banks without going to space?

9. Actually reducing the accuracy of mass calculations would help with performance, wouldn`t it? Nobody really cares about micrograms anyway.

10. Unique PoI per planetoid. That would be really cool. But it would need to have sometimes more than one for the map generations with less planetoids like the classic generations in the dlc.

8 hours ago, Genry said:

I still don’t understand why high temperature is a serious threat to a Duplicant, and cold, apart from debuff, does not threaten anything.

Nope.  Play on max stress settings, and pick Rime, the Frozen Forest, or the 100k mod.  Your duplicants will have a constant cold air debuff, at least before atmo suits.  You won't be able to grow buddy buds to counteract stress.  Your only hope is massage tables, constantly taking on duplicants (for stress relief), or heating.

9 hours ago, Genry said:

Remove such geysers from the game.

???  It's a simple matter for you or anyone else to just not use such geysers.  Those of us who enjoy cold geysers can use them.

9 hours ago, Genry said:

Nerf water electrolyzer.
It is too easily available and unreasonably profitable.

Don't use it, or use it less.

Games in general don't get better with nerfs.  They generally get worse.

9 hours ago, Genry said:

Nerf steel.

Don't use steel or use it less.

A human can still live in a -10°C enviroment als long as he has enough fat reserves and is moving his muscles to stay warm. 

In a 50°C+ enviroment he cant survive for long, because he cant radiate the excess heat form the body, and sweating is near to completely ineffective. 

16 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

A human can still live in a -10°C enviroment als long as he has enough fat reserves and is moving his muscles to stay warm. 

In a 50°C+ enviroment he cant survive for long, because he cant radiate the excess heat form the body, and sweating is near to completely ineffective. 

Dupes can survive a bit more but still stuff like heat stroke and hypthermia should be more deadly if a dupe doesn`t get back to his proper temperature. I wish the thermal based diseases had simnilar increasing severity based on how far the dupe`s temperature is form optimal and that you could quarantine a dupe on a triage cot until his temperature gets back to normal (also thermal meds i mentioned in another thread).

18 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Dupes can survive a bit more but still stuff like heat stroke and hypthermia should be more deadly if a dupe doesn`t get back to his proper temperature. I wish the thermal based diseases had simnilar increasing severity based on how far the dupe`s temperature is form optimal and that you could quarantine a dupe on a triage cot until his temperature gets back to normal

+1

On 4/19/2022 at 2:29 PM, Genry said:

2) Cold.
Low temperatures should be deadly, and impose serious debuffs that threaten the rate of development of the colony.

I agree with this. Cold is so harmless in the game I've had duplicants live inside sleet wheat farms with mostly carbon dioxide atmospheres without even giving them a warm sweater (I was a cruel master) and they didn't even complain or catch hypothermia.

4 hours ago, tuxii said:

without even giving them a warm sweater

The warm sweater is another issue. It modifies dupe insulation values which actually makes it good for both cold and hot areas while the vest reduces insulation making it bad in both scenarios. Also natural dupe insulation is enough to keep dupes warm even in really cold areas as long as they don`t step into water or run into a pocket of hydrogen.

On 4/19/2022 at 2:29 PM, Genry said:

because the game flows like sh*t when it does end up harming duplicants. I can never truly understand why this is such a common complaint besides "it happens in real life, so it should happen in the video game too!"

It isn't fun to have to research and implement suits before doing absolutely anything with the surface, or any of the numerous kinds of cold biomes the game throws at you. Play disease restored on a map that doesn't inherently have suit-making material and witness how the game slows to an absolute crawl at numerous points because duplicants can barely go anywhere that isnt the default caustic biome without a suit on.

It makes complete sense to me that cold only hinders duplicants rather than kills them. If anything, make hypothermia more hampering, dont make frostbite.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:36 PM, Spoonwood said:

Games in general don't get better with nerfs.  They generally get worse.

I cannot agree more.

What does real life have to do with it? Is it okay that cold mechanics is needed only for plants?
We have a warm sweater that says: protects against hypothermia.
So what?
We don't give a **** about hypothermia, because the developer hammered a bolt, and he is too lazy to redo what is already working crookedly.
The game has a whole bunch of unfinished mechanics.
For example, sulfur dioxide. (What is its purpose? You could come up with a whole bunch of mechanics with this gas, I even suggested and wrote a whole topic about adding acid myself).
There are no sources of metal ore, and metal hatch become useless. All you need to do is make geysers that spew not metal, but metal ore).
And the cold is just the most striking.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:21 AM, Sasza22 said:

Yeah self powering electrolizers seem pretty weird i guess we can live with it consuming more power. It`s supposed to be a more advanced oxygen producer anyway.

That would be weird if hydrogen reactorgenerator was using oxygen to burn hydrogen to get water but with how magical the generator itself is, and it's apparent matter to energy transformation, it's weird that it produces so little.

I think electrolizer's power input (or work speed) should scale based on input temperature - if you input above 75C water, it needs but a spark. But the colder the water is, the more energy it needs.

Archived