New Wormwood Unique Craft

So lots of people are discussing this whole wormwood vs wx concept with the new wx refresh and I had (What I think) is a somewhat interesting idea and solution.

First part is not revolutionary or a new idea by any means but firstly we definitely need a new hostile plant mob or two that are neutral to wormwood bringing a little more use and importance to that perk. Also perhaps wormwood should be able to "recruit" mushgnomes simply to follow him around and release spores not only when they're hit but also when he is as well. Any follower gnomes wouldn't damage wormwood with spores they release. I wouldn't let them leave the grotto though so he doesn't become another minion character but rather just a small perk to allow him to wage molebat/mushgnomes wars in the grotto to get a ton of molebat drops. Maybe he could even go into/maintain bloom in the grotto as well given it's a wet and musty area, perhaps the mushgnomes spores could even trigger this?

Secondly is my slightly more original idea. A unique tower structure for wormwood similar to houndius and catapults. I know what you're thinking at first but hear me out!!

A rather cheap but very very weak tower that is nowhere near the level of catapults (and no aoe) or houndius (far less damage and no health regen). Perhaps it could be built by planting a seed outside of a farm then feeding it a piece of nightmare fuel. It would have very low damage (No Fuelweaver cheesing unless you want to wait like 15+ in game days) and terrible health and would also rot over time like normal plants unless perhaps it's given a piece of rot/fertiliser within a certain amount of days.

Due to their cheapness they could be made on the go and without heavy investment and a plan to necessarily keep them going forever. You could make little makeshift meat or whatever farms penning mobs in like a houndius but requiring you to replace the turrets every time they wither away. You could use them to gain a bit more dps against bosses/mobs or even use them as distractions that enemies will attack when you mess up a fight and have to bail.

With their low health you would need to keep aggro on you however or most mobs would simply one shot them.

It wouldn't step on winona/catapults toes much as no aoe damage and they don't last forever and are also low damage. Same with houndius as no health regen and again low damage. I honestly think houndius need a very minor buff anyway with how expensive they are and the fact they can't be moved, deconstructed etc.

Design wise I was thinking vaguely similar to the peashooter from plants v zombies but obviously just vaguely and far more in line with dst art style and assets.

Is this a terrible idea? Is it decent? Have I overlooked things or would this just make Winona even less popular and more of a pick and swap character? Let me know!

I really like the idea of being able to grow and propagate plants that would protect wormwood and be hostile to everything else.

This is literally exactly what he has access to in Hamlet with snapteeths and their seedlings. :lol:

A DST alternative would be lovely. I would prefer the seeds for this plant to come from a naturally occurring entity in the world though instead of Wormwood making them through magic or whatever. 

I particularly like ur angle of making these plants high maintenance. I think it could be really fun if wormwood could interpret their varying needs like he does with farm crops. Like one day the plant could want poop and a few days later watering or growth formula etc. 

what their function or use would be besides biting/shooting everything thats not wormwood (other survivors with a husk on would also be spared i imagine) im not really sure. I just mainly like the idea of growing a sentient plant mob that wormwood can interact with.

———

personally my most desired WW tweak atm that doesnt require too much new stuff is this:

make the bramble husk periodically trigger the thorns while worn by Wormwood in combat without needing to be hit. The frequency could increase based on how low his hp is, introducing a fun and unique risk/reward playstyle. 

the durability should also be increased and/or it should be repairable with fertilizers. 

Replacing the bone shards with hounds teeth would also be nice. Theres no pugalisk in DST for shards, and shards from spoiled fish conflict with his use of it as fertilizer. And wormwood has no use for teeth anyway cuz he has bramble traps.

———

other than that, connecting wormwood with lunar content/ecosystem and plant mobs would be amazing and is sorely needed i think.

40 minutes ago, Ohan said:

make the bramble husk periodically trigger the thorns while worn by Wormwood in combat without needing to be hit. The frequency could increase based on how low his hp is, introducing a fun and unique risk/reward playstyle

Thanks for the feedback! 

Yeah I agree re Bramble Husk, it's a great concept of an item but it doesn't perform as well as it should or could. I actually generally make a ton of them as Worm then use them as another character with a helmet on as well to carve through shadow monkeys or other mobs. It should be more viable without needing to wear a helmet as well though.

More interactions with plants in general seems great, I figured that wormwood would have more interactions period but they are quite simple, I liked the idea that wormwood could help trees grow or reduce the growth timers on plants when he is blooming near them (not food based but, grass, twigs, planted pinecones stuff like that) or perhaps even a sort of pollination mechanic where wormwood gains benefits from spreading the effects of his blooming state.  

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

make the bramble husk periodically trigger the thorns while worn by Wormwood in combat without needing to be hit. The frequency could increase based on how low his hp is, introducing a fun and unique risk/reward playstyle. 

I really hate this idea, right now you can tank a horde of 100 regular spiders with the bramble husk, football helmet and hambat, which is great for farming them quickly. I dont want to slowly kite a horde of spiders while waiting for the thorns to proc... health is easy to regen, even for wormwood. (You can even get all your health back while farming with the healing glands that drop!)

If the bramble husk only triggered thorns periodically, it also reduces its actual usefulness as the only emergency horde protection armour we got. The slight increase in dps vs bosses isn't worth it at all.

Bramble husk could do with increased durability, thats it... ill be sad if the mechanics for it change.

1 hour ago, Gashzer said:

If the bramble husk only triggered thorns periodically

I didnt say this though… 

it would still trigger when getting hit but in addition to that it would also proc periodically when near hostile mobs in combat if you choose to kite. And quicker if ur on low hp, the living armor trying to protect worm with the thorns. 

Why would i suggest something that would make the husk worse lol i want it to be better :P

Edit: anyway its just an idea and im curious to hear other ppls ideas on making his bramble crafts better or even adding new ones. 

I actually have a few ideas myself on what they could possibly do with Wormwood.

Here are some of those:

•Wormwood when on the lunar island gets a few new special recipes.

•Wormwood can occasionally summon vines/roots, in specific biomes to help him fight/bring him random stuff. Only once a day/few days though, or maybe in certain conditions, like near death experience. They wouldn't be too helpful usually though, and depending on the season, would take from 10-40hp at a time from the targeted foe.

Wormwood gets high on full moon night, because l o r e (Explain better):

For example maybe change his sanity with Enlightenment, as well as either increase or decrease his powers, depending in what way he's connected to the moon. Whether he would hit weaker or harder and if he got some kind of buff from them.

•Since Wormwood can make his body into living logs, I thought that maybe instead of chopping them off right away, he could morph them into useful tools, that while are worse generally, have a much higher durability, though every once in a while, while using them, Wormwood would lose 2hp. Like once in every 10 or so uses.

This would take his hand slot away, but you could always get rid of the tool by simply chopping your hand off like the usual.

•Maybe Wormwood could craft a special 'seed' to tame more dangerous plant mobs like tree guards, that would cost him some valuable materials, like maybe thulecite or some kind of crystal as well as super growth formula or something, although with tree guards, especially with giant ones the loyalty would decrease after time, since permanent loyalty from a giant mob would literally be too overpowered lol.

•Whenever he's in his bloom phase his attacks would increase, like how Wolfgang gets when he's at his mightiest

•During bloom season (again) Wormwood would every once in a while spawn actual flowers from underneath his feet, the only exceptions being the rock biome, some parts of the mosaic and certain parts of caves, other than that he could perhaps spawn biome-themed flowers, like cacti, orange poppies, suncups or some constant equivalent of the latter, swamp, lunar and the mush biomes would also get their special themed flowers, with Wormwood being a literal mobile fertilizer.

•Add more plant-based mobs (That one's rather obvious) but with different, unique abilities, with some benefiting Wormwood or maybe even other players.

Those are just some of the ideas I have, because the potential Wormwood still could've achieved does not help me sleep at night, (though probably all the monsters I chug regularly might also be the cause.)

Let me know what you think of those 

7 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

A rather cheap but very very weak tower that is nowhere near the level of catapults (and no aoe) or houndius (far less damage and no health regen).

We already got seaweeds which were a dissappointment in the fact that you can only plant them back in ocean sea stacks.

Maybe wormwood can turn them into something that can be used on land

Anyway I’m not that sure that wormwood needs to be super buffed to compensate WX stepping his toes, his unique crafts always needed improvement but that is independent of WX.

The issue here and what could be rebalanced still is WX, not Worm (beyond his unique crafts)

I like the idea of wormwood gaining something due to the phases of the moon... ie on a full moon he blooms and either gains speed, doesn't take as much damage or deals more damage scaled to what phase the moon is in. I think it would be an interesting mechanic and allow players to approach the game in a new way. You would have to plan around the moon to get the most out of your character and play style. I also really like the idea of new plant mobs based on the moon that he could interact with

Right now Lune Tree Blossoms only have 4 uses, 2 of those uses being terrible, 1 being event specific, and the last one being purely decorative. I could see those being used in the that tower. Finally would give us SOME Wormwood interaction with the Moon.

4 hours ago, Eggsterminator said:

Wormwood gets high on full moon night, because l o r e

1 hour ago, LitulLola said:

I like the idea of wormwood gaining something due to the phases of the moon

I could see Wormwood upgrading himself with some lunar essence, specially during Awakened Alter nights. Maybe Wormwood's bloom decay stops when Alter is awake like with Spring?

4 hours ago, Eggsterminator said:

Maybe Wormwood could craft a special 'seed' to tame more dangerous plant mobs like tree guards

I could see Lune Tree Blossoms being used to craft that special seed, since Alter is very well-known for their "enlightening" powers.

Wormwood is quite literally Poison Ivy, Swamp Thing or Groot from their respective DC/Marvel comics.. and as Such: Wormwood should probably end up being as powerful as them?

Aside from Joker, Poison Ivy was always one of my favorite Batman Villains (and throughout all 3 Arkham games she plays a pretty large role) THAT is what Wormwood should be.. all these ideas & suggestions, yeah they’re great and all that but- Wheres Wormwoods abilities to Root an enemy in place?

Anyone who has played through the Arkham franchise knows exactly what I’m saying when I quote “Nature Always Wins”

My Boy Wormwood here… he just isn’t performing to his full capabilities, and then what makes me even more disappointed with him.. is that people want him to get crazy moon related powers, I get it- he was created by moon magic.. but there’s not a single skin for him that suggests his plant like skin is going to be covered in thick moon glass armor.

Whats funny is that’s also stollen from Batman’s poison Ivy if it were to happen- While Wormwood would be covered in spikes of Moonglass, Ivy on the other hand.. hide inside the thickness of her plants to avoid damage.

As a major Batman fan… I know for a fact Wormwoods not reaching his best potential.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wormwood is quite literally Poison Ivy,

As a major Batman fan… I know for a fact Wormwoods not reaching his best potential.

Wormwood is not poison ivy, and you shouldn’t expect him to have any powers from poison ivy. There is a lot of room for plant based powers (even ignoring poison ivy style abilities) but the problem is that wormwood is in a “survival” style game. He shouldn’t have crazy superpowers or anything that could easily smack threats around. Hes a fragile plant person, not a superhero/villain

38 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Wormwood is not poison ivy, and you shouldn’t expect him to have any powers from poison ivy. There is a lot of room for plant based powers (even ignoring poison ivy style abilities) but the problem is that wormwood is in a “survival” style game. He shouldn’t have crazy superpowers or anything that could easily smack threats around. Hes a fragile plant person, not a superhero/villain

Obviously there would have to be limits to what Wormwood is capable of so he still is enjoyable in a survival game.. but-

At the end of this video you see the vines & roots moving closer to him to protect him whilst he sleeps..

In actual Gameplay however… WHERE IS MY PROTECTION?!

While yes wanting vines to sprout up out the ground and root an enemy in place is very much Poison Ivy, the above official video still implies Plant-Life would protect Wormwood.

Archived