Dst community denial of technology and civilization

Dst community denial of technology and civilization  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Dst community denial technology and civilization

2. 2. Do you like Dst to have more technology and civilization

Dst fan seem to have this idea of Dst being a "uncompromising wilderness survival" game where it actually game about "conqering the wilderness in a uncompromising world" and even if the first thing why can't the survivor use the modern stuff at the time? No one complaining about Wagstaff future invention, the science machine, or WX-78 being a robot, progress and civilization don't stop because you stuck in the wild we are all in the wild just cover it up with our technology.

58 minutes ago, Waoling said:

I don't know why a lot of people think that technology and civilization don't fit Dst.

From a “lore” standpoint:

They are not in a civilized location. Their tools are made from rocks and sticks, which even in late game is just different kinds of rocks and different kinds of sticks. They don’t have the production means to make more “”modern”” technologies, even of their own time period. They’re also working with their bare hands, and there’s really so much you can do with that. Unless they were spending years on the production of things that, arguably, don’t immediately benefit their survival, they probably wouldn’t be doing it.

From a gameplay standpoint:

Don’t Starve’s survival aspect would likely become pretty much a joke if more technology was introduced. Suddenly there would become housing, a perfect shelter from every natural disaster; or automation, removing the need to do simple tasks… and what would be the limit? At that point not only would the game be a breeze to do anything, but it wouldn’t feel like a survival game anymore, and it would start to feel more like Satisfactory or something. There’s no need nor real place for more modern structures or designs. There’d be nothing more to build once you made the “ultimate” buildings. Your survival is guaranteed at that point. The only thing left really would be to kill the bosses over and over, and that’s… not really what the game is about.

From a more personal standpoint:

Grrr I hate modernity grrr grrrrr uncompromising wilderness game grrr

I like the fact that, for the most part, the “technology” of the world seems to be things that just give off “yeah a person with limited resources in the wilderness could make that” with the main exceptions being “this was provided by an ancient race that actually was civilized and/or an unknowable alien horror”.

At the end, I just like how don’t starve’s equipment and technology is just the bare bones bits and baubles that it is.

10 minutes ago, Auth said:

Snip

Thank you for your perspective, but also you either poof my point or your the minority so checkmate, but I have problem with some of your point, Winona WX-78 and Wagstaff already have make automation it good but not OP having technology automation and other 1920s conveniences doesn't make the game a breeze or easy, a lot of thing in Dst can't be make by hand so the lore standpoint isn't true and why can't the survivors enjoy the finer thing in life? They got a lot of people they can spare a few people to make funiture and other conveniences, I just think that DST want to bring a new era of technology and civilization to the constant and love it for that, we far gone past living in the wilderness and Dst want to shown us how the survivors adapt and are trying to make the constant more industrialize, also Dst the survivors got enough man power to make the constant feel a little bit more like home.

26 minutes ago, jtubio88 said:

Pibe 

How many forum Pagés are making 

About 1000 topic.

Ya'll talking as if anything makes sense in the game in the first place. We got already structures that look like they've got more refined materials used to make them. Antomated things like flingomatics and apparently gold diodes to make them and alchemy engine. Nobody even knows how either science machine or alchemy works cause they are just weird random structures of "science". Even shadow manipulator makes more sense than them cause it's actual magic and works with the world logic. All other things with science and tech structures ingame.

All I wanna say is... Nothing. There's nothing to say. This thread is as ridiculous as DST's game logic XD

3 hours ago, Waoling said:

I think tecnology, 1920s conveniences, and civilization belong and fit Dst style and theme, I don't know why a lot of people think that technology and civilization don't fit Dst.

It's just the game's setting

I don't think 18 and a half bodies could rebuilt modern society anyway

5 hours ago, Waoling said:

where it actually game about "conqering the wilderness in a uncompromising world"

Kevin Forbes about the development of DS back in, was it 2013?: "This game is not about becoming powerful and having that power fantasy. [...] What, if we make a game about a character, who's really weak?"

Full stop. Funnily, I have just recently written a paper about how survival games tend to focus on an anthropocentric view of the world with a narrative of the human overcoming the environment and shaping it to his liking. DS was purposefully created with the rejection of that idea in mind. Of course, the game has changed a lot over the years and for experienced players, it is perfectly possible to overcome everything, but to me the game still contains the core idea of you not ever being able to be im control of everything, of being lost in wilderness rather than establishing a lasting civilization. If they changed that, the game would lose its charm for me and become a Minecraft clone more or less (nothing wrong with Minecraft, it just is a different type of survival game).

6 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Kevin Forbes about the development of DS back in, was it 2013?: "This game is not about becoming powerful and having that power fantasy. [...] What, if we make a game about a character, who's really weak?"

Full stop. Funnily, I have just recently written a paper about how survival games tend to focus on an anthropocentric view of the world with a narrative of the human overcoming the environment and shaping it to his liking. DS was purposefully created with the rejection of that idea in mind. Of course, the game has changed a lot over the years and for experienced players, it is perfectly possible to overcome everything, but to me the game still contains the core idea of you not ever being able to be im control of everything, of being lost in wilderness rather than establishing a lasting civilization. If they changed that, the game would lose its charm for me and become a Minecraft clone more or less (nothing wrong with Minecraft, it just is a different type of survival game).

Well, I think they might have change their mind.

I think Dst is about making The constant your new home not a place to conquer but a place you need to respect, and I think Wagstaff and Charile are representing the idea of conquering, two of them want to control the constant but the two have different opinion.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about technology in Don't Starve like, ever.

Technology and magic are wacky and make no sense and that's just fine. Questioning why you can make stuff like an Alchemy Engine out of sticks and rocks, and how it even does... whatever it does takes the fun out of it.

Archived