Liquid hydrogen setup

I've successfully managed to make a liquid Oxygen setup, but the Hydrogen is really making it tough for me due to it's short temperature window before it becomes a solid. If I modify the thermo sensors too low, I get solid Hydrogen chunks, and I can't seem to find a way to keep the Super Coolant at exactly the temperature I want since the Aquatuner makes a 14 degree temperature difference. Is there some simple solution that I'm missing?

2 hours ago, goboking said:

@Saturnus posted a brilliant setup that allows you to precisely control the temperature of your coolant.  It's the one and only build I use that isn't of my own devising.

That is so simple I hate myself now. Thanks, I'll give it a twist so I don't have to use 2 Aquatuners and I'm good to go.

17 minutes ago, Occam Blazer said:

I avoid this by using a chill plate and heat injector for more precise cooling. This is my fun build, but check the links for some more "standard" ideas.

That's a bit overengineered for the space I have sadly, but I do appreciate when people go over the top like this.

On 3/4/2022 at 5:42 PM, Unfawkable said:

I've successfully managed to make a liquid Oxygen setup, but the Hydrogen is really making it tough for me due to it's short temperature window before it becomes a solid. If I modify the thermo sensors too low, I get solid Hydrogen chunks, and I can't seem to find a way to keep the Super Coolant at exactly the temperature I want since the Aquatuner makes a 14 degree temperature difference. Is there some simple solution that I'm missing?

It is actually pretty simple. Aquatuner -> Liquid Tank -> Thermo-Sensor on the pipe controlling the Aquatuner -> cooling loop -> Aquatuner. 

That way the Tank acts as a buffer which slowed temperature changes. And that gives you pretty precise output temperature, depending on how filled the tank is. Typically, you want at least 500kg in the tank. 

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

It is actually pretty simple. Aquatuner -> Liquid Tank -> Thermo-Sensor on the pipe controlling the Aquatuner -> cooling loop -> Aquatuner. 

That way the Tank acts as a buffer which slowed temperature changes. And that gives you pretty precise output temperature, depending on how filled the tank is. Typically, you want at least 500kg in the tank. 

I fiddled around with it and managed to make a stable system within a 7 degree range. It's not perfect, but it does the job, already made 3 tons of liquid hydrogen, and my advanced tech rockets are roaming everywhere :D 

What you need is a automatic cutoff for the supercoolant loop to bypass the LH2 tank when temperature reaches low enough. I usually set it at or just 1 degree above the freezing point (since it freezes 2-3 degrees below the freezing point) for it to stop the flow and bypass the tank. 

Archived