Enraged Dragonfly Rush is Possible as Wanda

So yeah, instead of Thulecite Crowns, I used Football Helmets to kill the Enraged Dragonfly as Wanda, along with Night Armor of course. The reason that the Football Helmet makes a difference is because I switch to Scalemail during the enraged phase, lowering the overall absorbtion value of my armors.

My fight has lots of flaws, but this is part of the reason I am posting it with commentaries. It is a really hard challenge by itself, and I want others to be able to try it out themselves. I also had some other succesful attempts during the last 3 months or so, but forgot to record them. I hope my mistakes will help you guys in this challenge, and I would be delighted to see someone try this out in a real run. Share it with me once you do, of course!

This is rather a proof-of-concept video for people who want to rush the Enraged Dragonfly as Wanda, or for people who think it is impossible to fight the Enraged Dragonfly as her. This method is also possible on a regular playthrough, but please don't do it. Thulecite Crowns are way more reliable and after the Ancient Guardian's loot rework, there will be no practical reason to kill the Dragonfly before going to the ruins. Plus go rush a Beefalo if you aren't speedrunning, it's definitely worth it.

1 hour ago, thesooz9000 said:

pretty neat but wish the video was more of an actual rush (as in like getting all the mats) then a proof of concept, but still nice job

Yeah me too. I sadly lack the time and patience right now. Might do one later though.

1 hour ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I feel like having pool to pool walls is a bigger time saver for this instead of making lots of ice staves. Prolly could beat toad with all that gear lel.

3 staves really don't take that long of a time to craft, unless you have real bad RNG. Plus I don't like disrespecting the Dragonfly, but it's always a matter of playstyle anyways.

Good work.  Its fun to fight the bosses in different ways !

15 hours ago, thesooz9000 said:

pretty neat but wish the video was more of an actual rush (as in like getting all the mats) then a proof of concept, but still nice job

Would it matter if it was a known seed vs random seed rush?

13 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I feel like having pool to pool walls is a bigger time saver for this instead of making lots of ice staves. Prolly could beat toad with all that gear lel.

imo walls are quicker.  Ice staff means farming spider silk, bunnies, and blue gems.  They're also more reliable for stopping lavae and give you more time to fix your equipment between phases.  Although I think the bigger part of this fight is dealing with her rage form which is usually bypassed by sleeping her.  Whether you use a wall or ice staff its useful to know how to fight through her rage form.  I don't always get the pan flute in pubs XD

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

imo walls are quicker.  Ice staff means farming spider silk, bunnies, and blue gems

For this run where he's using the alarming clock ice staves are much faster since he's already making magic. If you're doing more of a rush then walls would have you gathering a bunch of stone, armor, and healing then spending a bunch of time putting the walls down while b staves would have you pass through a graveyard and kill some spiders, since the b staves allow you to no hit the fight. I think it would be up to world gen which is faster.

Just a small reminder that this is a challenge fight in the end. Opting to go for a walls+hambat strategy, even as Wanda, sounds way faster to me if you are planning to do a speedrun (and if you are a god-tier kiter).

I just wanted to utilize Wanda's perks while minimizing the amount of cheese. Otherwise, Wanda is one of those few characters which require a huge amount of preparation if you want to utilize her perks.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Wanda is worse than most of the characters when it comes to rushing a single objective. She is definitely the best character to invest your resources into, but collecting those resources alone is a big waste of time in the early game, especially if you are not rushing multiple objectives.

Archived