Game performance - then & now - how much "optimization" have been performed ?

I remember when I first started playing ONI (somewhere soon after the launch of the patch that added space biome in the original game), my game died to the FPS and "dupe-thinking-for-way-too-long" death. I stopped playing for a long time and loaded the same save months later to reminisce about my base. I discovered that everything ran WAY faster than at the time I left it.

A month or so ago I returned to ONI with the Spaced Out DLC and started a new colony using the Classic preset. Sadly the game really quickly went to slog at 20 or so FPS for me again :( That's without asteroid traveling, 20 dupes and not even any complex systems of many pipes or some horrid amalgamation of gasses everywhere. I have discovered 1 asteroid but nobody's traveled there yet.

I suppose it could be just my system specs being not good enough for the game anymore. I do have an older cpu, Intel i5-4670.

@Ellilea If Klei would be able to utilize all your 4 cpu cores, then a "double" speed improvement could be possible on your system. Sadly I don`t see that happening this year. IMHO either Klei pushes out another DLC, which would null any Klei future speed improvements and/or they would work on ONi2 ( with more core support :confused: ).

As alternative they could offer players a world setup where you ( as the player ) can define your own map size, for example 64x64 tiles ( also excluding rocket interior mapping ). Then the game would run at lightning speed on your system :beguiled:. Perhaps squiggle or someone reads this and they would do just this someday :ghost: Over the years I suggested it a few times.

Maybe there is a mod existing which lets your play with a true small tile size, like 64x64 as example :confused::confused::confused: It would have to be a mod which truly only calculates the defined small tile size map and does not carry any (hidden) other cells around. True, native 64x64 tiles would run great on your system. Such a mod would have to IMHO operate from within the actual game engine, so that it does not carry and compute "bloat". I don`t play with ONi mods, so I never checked whats on the mod market.

Will be back playing ONi at the end of the year again, hope Klei then has something for us :congratulatory:

7 hours ago, Ellilea said:

20 dupes

allot dupes are problematic. not sure if we even see improvement at there as i been talking about that months ago but still nothing.

i to understand why it's happening, they holding allot coordinates data for heat, legs body and soo on. that data needs get form the memory.

Pc memory self cant handle nothing (thats comes also this part that i hate high memory prices, they asking allot more money than ******* motherboard or gpu makers what have allot more complex stuff in they boards).

well about your system i5-4670 . that uses DDR3 and have only 4 cores.

in my experience shows that 4 cores are not en-oh for run this game smoothly.

thats why also tell before not use below i7-12700 if build new pc.

i5-12500 and i3 runs as well but it does hit the limit much faster than i7-12700k.

another thing is what slows down game is if you use CPU graphic for gaming. it does work yes but most off those system not have separated gpu memory.

Imagine now you need data for images and for coordinates movement at same time from same memory.

7 hours ago, Ellilea said:

I suppose it could be just my system specs being not good enough for the game anymore. I do have an older cpu, Intel i5-4670.

so answer is yes, in general your PC spec is not good en-oh for run this game smoothly, unless if we see improvement at game performance.

--

this game can run also even older system like with CPU E8400. i been tested this as i have that.

10 hours ago, Ellilea said:

Intel i5-4670.

lets say you to have already GPU in old pc what you can take out, also maybe the other stuff what you could add newer pc

and if you have the budget limit, you could for example buy something like this   

https://www.1a.ee/p/statsionaarne-arvuti-dell-vostro-3888-mt-intel-uhd-graphics-630/e4yq?cat=2t5&index=3

or maybe even this what is even better

https://www.1a.ee/p/statsionaarne-arvuti-lenovo-ideacentre-5-14acn6-90rx002nmh_pl-amd-radeon-graphics/e6pe?cat=2t5&index=9

those pc is not the best but it does run the game allot better than Intel i5-4670

you don't need tho as if its not important you could even wait longer and one day you could get even better one with low price

--

ok if you not have GPU

you could then mix this

https://www.1a.ee/p/videokaart-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1650-gv-n1650oc-4gl-4-gb-gddr6/7mnf

with this

https://www.1a.ee/p/statsionaarne-arvuti-lenovo-ideacentre-5-14acn6-90rx002nmh_pl-amd-radeon-graphics/e6pe?cat=2t5&index=9

and here you have. a low cost gaming pc what runs most off game titles

of-course its not best but it does his job

Main problem with performance is that GPU is not being used to calculate lot of physics and pathfinding in this game. Considering how heavy on physics simulation this game is and how little GPU is being used since it's not really graphically demanding game, maybe some GPU computing could be used?

2 hours ago, cpy said:

Main problem with performance is that GPU is not being used to calculate lot of physics and pathfinding in this game. Considering how heavy on physics simulation this game is and how little GPU is being used since it's not really graphically demanding game, maybe some GPU computing could be used?

well that would be helpful indeed also for older machines but i personally never looked how this stuff works exactly.

at those stuff developers need know tho what that can todo and what not.

probably need learn OpenCL for that as other stuff like CUDA only supported at specific GPU 

when it debugged game, i to see that Temperatures uses most off time calculation from SimDLL.dll but that seems to use already multithread soo currently i to see issue in main thread where all the unity c# code runs

what they could todo is make second thread in C# and start move stuff one by one to there. its allot work tho because not every unity engine function works at second thread  

if make more clear then i can show also image

cputest.thumb.png.38defbbf0d9b0ba58998243f1b643dda.png

this cpu info is from our benchmark test

On 3/22/2022 at 11:44 PM, babba said:

1 explored dlc colony...

image.thumb.png.02142458479f784e4fa05e1e123ed6e3.png

Now I have a dream - to see this colony up close and "walk" around it :? 
If you find it possible to post the .sav here, that would be very nice and helpful. If possible :oops:
In any case, thanks for your comments. I always read them first :victorious:

4 hours ago, Omdev said:

Now I have a dream - to see this colony up close and "walk" around it :? 
If you find it possible to post the .sav here, that would be very nice and helpful. If possible :oops:
In any case, thanks for your comments. I always read them first :victorious:

Hey, thank you very much Omdev...You are kind :razz:

I just destroyed the 3 parked petrorockets in the right rocket launch lane...Because the rockets had outhouses inside, gigatons of morbs suddenly rained from the sky ! I didn`t know !!! They perhaps sucked some cpu time being alive in the rockets.

image.thumb.png.a2c11f8a7ff4589645ebd8b91ac5f821.png Battle of the Morbs

Let me complete the new 14x lane gas exhaust express dump highway, which reaches from the bottom of the map to the top...Then I can share the save with you :bee:

I want to setup a pile of Radrockets someday, but that would mean 1000 - 3000 cycle long rework to build a new rocket lane - The right ( previous rocket ) lane is now a massive gas pipe dump lane. Natural gas convection to space, from the bottom to the top, takes too long in the big map...So I`m laying 14 parallel pipes :lol: The damn rocket modules in/outs are in the way for all the waste pipe stuff, its too fidly. I loved my Petro Rockets, but sadly they don`t fly far enough to gather resources in space. Also the rockets blocked gas movement of the natural convection, without the rockets standing around the gasses evaporate faster to space.

Using the Petro rockets is sadly too boring for space resource collection, the range is too short. :( Klei sadly made space resource collecting a bit too un-fun for me with the DLC. Will now aim for Radrockets.

Loading of the map takes a few minutes on a fast computer, lots of data to extract from the map save. Had not played ONi for a while, its my first ONi play night in ages. :razz:

My world is auto sustainable for 50 dupes, with manual management it runs 80 - 100. For +120 dupes it would need a large automatic farm or something. The maps top left farm ( not on screenshots ) is currently kaputt, its currently not properly cooled - The core team of 50 Fukushima dupes currently live, and always have, from Liquid Sulfur.

Its a great toy world :ghost: I still have never built an reactor, I`m still looking forward to it.

image.thumb.png.8876188bce35b2f893a8b8a622206d41.png 28x Aquatuner`s Base Cooling :lol:

The oil/petro basin is there to avoid temperature spikes in the steam room, its just some kind of anti-spike-mass. It is currently manually filled by the dupes, its not yet full - Should be in 500 cycles or so. If I ever make it to build my first reactor in the game, then there will be some nice big pool for it.

image.thumb.png.efcb7d1453bac1dc4abfea97e8c13564.pngimage.thumb.png.a336459968c91c923d8e791a0fa6c486.png

image.png.9fdd9e5347ca0caa2cc735b601e87621.pngIn terms of "having everything done" ...in the first and only colony, I would guess...Like cycle 22000.

Steam water extraction and manual dupe labor sulfur-underwater-collection below. The big metal cooling block is cooled by the general open plan base design. The volcano is sealed up and still unused. The entries to area rooms are sealed up with oil puddles.

image.thumb.png.a21e555d35803276c91ddf5fa761bb97.png

Yellow = Map wide air cooling from the 28 Aquatuners. Blue = Water supply

image.thumb.png.5db8b15ed7cf7b04bac5b7a3c05d41a2.png

Below pink sections - Operation "Sour Gas" is still going on, since 2000 cycles. I hope it will be all pumped out within the next 2000 cycles. Originally I cooled all the bottom magma with oil, which took something like 4000 cycles. :flustered::roll::ghost:

image.thumb.png.f55134d666711cc0a4fc1e778fa5523a.png

All built and played without sandbox :adoration:

BTW I always loved your avatar picture :love_heart:

image.thumb.png.08971e8d78e336d9cb5856e682040f5c.png

:lol:19 GB :lol:

1 minute ago, MinhPham said:

Yeah this is where smart dudes from M$ team come to play, as C# LINQ traded memory usage for performance, and it still nowhere near native C++ performance :lol:.

I started at 5 GB a few hours ago hihihi. Earlier I let the game run for 1 hour afk, it crashed. I think the game exceeded 30 GB memory. :lol:

FYI Here are some observations about loading my save file fresh, on my system.

Cores: The system is running as a 4 core ( i7 7700k delidded/1kilo air cooler/no case ), with initial 20% load, with 30% core load during game play. In principal this is the same situation since the past 4 years ONi development.

IMHO Klei has constantly improved game performance slightly, my current save would have been unplayable a few years ago. Currently 12-36 ONi FPS feels much smoother on my system, compared to 12-36 ONi FPS a few years ago. :flustered:

RAM: The system has 32GB RAM, with a 6GB ram gpu ( nv1060strixx card ). During save game loading the "GPU" engine text in the task manager switches on and off, in the windows task manager the game shows up with 50% used memory at ~12gb ...Which seems to be some form of combined system/gpu ram display in the Win10 task manager.

image.thumb.png.13348bfc7e7a141fc82b46c4a170c2b4.png

The task manager "Memory" value will double or triple as I play the game during a night. As there may be heavy gpu ram allocation ( classic dlc big map ) with my save file after playing a few hours, I want to buy a mid range gpu ( nv3070 or so with decent bit interface bus ) with at least 12gb gpu ram in a year or so - Its also for 3d titles anyway, I`m too lazy to start tools to check whats going on with ONi in more detail.

I`m seeking a new top performing "single core" cpu with 60-120mb level 3 cache and running the game with decent clocked 64gb ram in around a year, a cpu with the least possible physical core amount and the highest clock base rate.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Once the first 5000-5500 single threading scores are achieved by some cpu`s at a decent price, babba wants to build a new ONI...and general gaming computer :razz: Any system performing great in ONi is a good gpu driver system for any other game.

1 hour ago, babba said:

I`m seeking a new top performing "single core" cpu with 60-120mb level 3 cache and running the game with decent clocked 64gb ram in around a year, a cpu with the least possible physical core amount and the highest clock base rate.

At time of writing, you would have to look at the 5800X3D from AMD... That's where I see some chonky L3 cache (96MB) to go with that RAM... I'm holding on to my clonker until rigs are out for ryzen stuff on DDR5... I'm fatally attracted to memory with error correction so I guess it will be better for me that way.

It may not be a Celentano video, but here's tech-Jesus for ya:

On 3/25/2022 at 5:19 AM, babba said:

Then I can share the save with you :bee:

Thanks for the detailed answer! I admire your designs! :encouragement::encouragement:
I'll be waiting, thanks! :angel:

I think we should start a separate topic. Something like "Experience of long games". This is amazingly interesting!

I love this game, my kids play it too, and I bought it for my mom as well (although she is still waiting for instructions from my daughter to start the game), but I saw a lot of new things in your screenshots! :wilson_goodjob:

I also like your avatar :victorious: 
Adriano - I love him in different films :)

"Il burbero" - I watched it 6-8 times:

Adriano2.PNG.26a074352b35fe91398d154778f8b031.PNG

On 3/25/2022 at 5:19 AM, babba said:

image.thumb.png.08971e8d78e336d9cb5856e682040f5c.png

:lol:19 GB :lol:

OMG!!!

NASA computer :shock: :geek:

3 hours ago, babba said:

At which cycle are you currently playing

Now I started a new game (again!) So far ~150 cycles.

The maximum I had was about 1300 cycles (and the game broke after the Klei update :wilson_facepalm:).

3 hours ago, babba said:

Outhouse ambience :lol:

It's not English! (c) Will Smith :D

Here :)

On 3/22/2022 at 6:39 PM, babba said:

@Ellilea If Klei would be able to utilize all your 4 cpu cores, then a "double" speed improvement could be possible on your system. Sadly I don`t see that happening this year. IMHO either Klei pushes out another DLC, which would null any Klei future speed improvements and/or they would work on ONi2 ( with more core support :confused: ).

As alternative they could offer players a world setup where you ( as the player ) can define your own map size, for example 64x64 tiles ( also excluding rocket interior mapping ). Then the game would run at lightning speed on your system :beguiled:. Perhaps squiggle or someone reads this and they would do just this someday :ghost: Over the years I suggested it a few times.

Maybe there is a mod existing which lets your play with a true small tile size, like 64x64 as example :confused::confused::confused: It would have to be a mod which truly only calculates the defined small tile size map and does not carry any (hidden) other cells around. True, native 64x64 tiles would run great on your system. Such a mod would have to IMHO operate from within the actual game engine, so that it does not carry and compute "bloat". I don`t play with ONi mods, so I never checked whats on the mod market.

Will be back playing ONi at the end of the year again, hope Klei then has something for us :congratulatory:

There use to be a "tiny worlds" mod which also rebalanced resource yields from digging, and wild food (and hatches), so that you didn't have fewer resources (or at least it wasn't a huge loss).  It didn't have 64x64 I think or customizable sizes down to the number of tiles.  It stopped working with the Breathe of Stinky Air update if I recall correctly, and yes, I mean breath of stinky air update, as that change introduced yucky lungs into the base game if I recall correctly.  So, I use past tense to refer to that mod, since it no longer works, and it appears that neither the original modder nor anyone else has updated it.

there is one thing about performance

if you to have high hz monitor and you use full potential from that it does consumes also allot more cpu than regular 60 hz one

this game is hard to measure but i todo some old game tests and difference can be huge with cpu if you use example 800 fps vs 60 fps

4 hours ago, gabberworld said:

there is one thing about performance

if you to have high hz monitor and you use full potential from that it does consumes also allot more cpu than regular 60 hz one

this game is hard to measure but i todo some old game tests and difference can be huge with cpu if you use example 800 fps vs 60 fps

What

Archived