Wolfgang mighty mechanic: parrying

Since they removed speed, I think perhaps adding a mechanic to Wolfgang would help.

Parrying.

In Blasphemous, your enemies would have a preperation move to show that they're about to attack. What if Wolfgang  was the only character to parry/daze enemies to pause them when they attack?

It's not the same as speed but could help both the player and rest of the people in the server?

15 hours ago, Well-met said:

No. 

Bone armor is a parry and there's a good reason it's one of the highest end game loot.

but this is based on your reflex and knowledge not just a passive shield that has CD...

i love the idea but honestly i think it doesnt fit wolf, i would prefer this for a new character

6 hours ago, Well-met said:

bone armor and snurtle are both a body item with very rare frequency, i don't think it wise to transfer this power on a weapon slot, let alone easily obtainable items.

bone armor gives inmunity every 5 or so seconds and allows you able to keep atacking plus has 100% drop rate, the rarity is based on player knowledge. Snurtle shell is far from being a very rare item

also a parry effect could make the enemy stunlocked by their own atacks, could armor/weapon durability, the player could ecieve a % of the damage, etc. Nobody is suggesting to make it like bone armor

minespatch suggested to use that mechanic on a character (i dont share the character selected). Nobody said that it should be an easy to obtain item so idk why you even mention it

Parrying can be a good mechanic. However, it does not fit DST. In other games it would allow to make attacks that can be avoided only using one of them OR both of them (due to cooldowns, and the fact that one will make you move and the other wouldn't). Don't starve is not a game focused on fighting. Since current enemies won't utilise this mechanic a lot due to not being made with it in mind, parrying would have next to no difference from kiting. It's Just a way to deal more damage. It would work nice with warrior spiders and and ranged attackers tho.

Parrying could be replaced with a bigger damage multiplier.

2 hours ago, jan Mere said:

is better than watewer Wolfgang has now. 

That's why I chose Wolfgang. Something that'll balance the lack of speed he has now. Something he can only have while also benefitting the other players when  Wolfgang is their teammate. 

Pretty sure Woodie had the stunlock mechanic in the Forge but I'm just trying to find a way to make Wolfgang more useful to the team than restrict.

parrying would be a very nice mechanic to have in DST, I could see it working on Wolfgang like he preforms some flex with his muscles and some cool impact FX pops-off him and he takes no damage. Maybe with a short window for pulling it off like most games that have a parry or dodge.

Though, before we get stuff like that I wish they would improve the combat in DST it's so boring... for a start they should make players able to attack while moving (to make combat feel more interactive) and give important mobs a new attack or two. Also, all bosses should be interesting like the Fuel Weaver, Klaus, and Bee Queen. Bosses like deerclops don't feel like a boss at all he only gains a little bosshood when winter's feast is on.

Parrying works as a high skill mechanic in advanced fighting games like the Devil May Cry series.  I would be highly impressed if they (1) managed to make it work in a useful (not a gimmick) and satisfying way, (2) made it reward skill, and (3) balanced it so that people wouldn’t cry OP when someone who has put all their player skill points into fighting mechanics is able to solo bosses better than some who has put all their skill points into the usual slot (game knowledge, planning, inventory management, time management).

Archived