My thoughts and experiences on sailing.

3 minutes ago, BezKa said:

I really don't get what's so hard about it- I'm not trying to be rude, i just honestly don't understand how can people not understand the reel in, stay still mechanics. It took me some time to understand the stuff you attach to the rod, but once you got fish hooked it's pretty straight forward i think? 

Can you explain to me what you don't get, so i can have a better perspective on it? 

fish never seem to bite, and when they do they always let go when i try to reel them in. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

1 hour ago, CodexCorporis said:

A lot of sailing mechanics are just completely backwards and hard to figure out. I STILL don't know how to fish in the ocean, and I've tried multiple times.

I've heard people call it realistic but I haven't fished so I'm not sure if it's true. Once the fish bites, you want to wait as it struggles against you. When the fish tires and swims towards you, start reeling it in. Repeat until caught.

3 minutes ago, CodexCorporis said:

fish never seem to bite, and when they do they always let go when i try to reel them in. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Fish like certain bait. If you make the six standard time-based lures you'll be good but I forgot exactly what fish like what. I think one set of lures is for big fish and one for small? Or maybe it was coastal and deep water.

9 minutes ago, CodexCorporis said:

Oh, that would make sense. It is the hardest part, until you make the tackle receptacle. After that everything will go smoothly, even easier with bait from Pearl. 

Thanks, that does make sense that people would be confused at that part. It took me quite a bit to figure out too. 

I dont have much to add other than saying that I agree with pretty much every single point.

My problem with Malbatross is how rare it is to trigger the fight. You can set shoals to More, but you are still a slave to RNG. Whenever I start a new world, I always say to myself "Ok, lets actually try going for Malbatross early for the watering can this time!", and I always give up. You know what I would like? To have a "Malbatross Lure" of some kind, a summon item. Make it require low tier ocean fish, to keep it in line with the "theme". I really do think Malbatross is supposed to be the Deerclops of the sea (as in a simple early game boss), but fails to be common enough. 

Even then the loot still has its issues. Feather sails are fast, but even since Waterlogged there isnt that much need to go that fast when double normal sails are enough (and they are way too expensive to craft). And the watering can was attractive for me when they added it, but it still lacks something to make it different from just having multiple normal watering cans (I still like the idea of it desalinating ocean water).

On 2/1/2022 at 9:22 PM, Hornete said:

837492274354323477.webp?size=96&quality=lossless
I'll be taking this as feedback.

Ill take the chance to add one issue that I had with the mod. One current spawned a bit too close to Crab King and made ring-around-the-crab considerably more difficult. Otherwise I greatly enjoyed the mod.

12 hours ago, CodexCorporis said:

1. What lures are you using? I've found that aslong as you use the right lure, you can get a bite pretty quick. The time-based lures are surprisingly effective during their associated time, as are the weather lures. Stupifying lures aren't super effective, but make the fish easier to catch. And heavy weight lures are good for trophy fishing.

2. Consumable baits such as berries and figs need to be left still, while lures get a bonus for a couple seconds whenever you reel them in.

3. Some fish don't like certain baits. Though in my experience, this doesn't matter too much. I've found that all you really need to remember is that seasonal fish don't go for time lures, and spinnerbaits can't catch small ocean fish.

And as for reeling, this is pretty simple. Just pull them in if the line has slack, and then when they start pulling away and your character has to pull the line far back, stop reelin else the line snaps.

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

1. What lures are you using? I've found that aslong as you use the right lure, you can get a bite pretty quick. The time-based lures are surprisingly effective during their associated time, as are the weather lures. Stupifying lures aren't super effective, but make the fish easier to catch. And heavy weight lures are good for trophy fishing.

2. Consumable baits such as berries and figs need to be left still, while lures get a bonus for a couple seconds whenever you reel them in.

3. Some fish don't like certain baits. Though in my experience, this doesn't matter too much. I've found that all you really need to remember is that seasonal fish don't go for time lures, and spinnerbaits can't catch small ocean fish.

And as for reeling, this is pretty simple. Just pull them in if the line has slack, and then when they start pulling away and your character has to pull the line far back, stop reelin else the line snaps.

didn't realize you have to use lures. huh

Small update, as I've finally gotten around to battling Crab King.

This fight sucks. And for every reason you've ever heard.

The best part is that I spent a ton of time prepping/waiting to use the Sea Weed method, only for it to turn out that apparently all my Sea Stacks generated too far away from CK for the tactic to be practical.

I suspect that I should just wait until spring so I can make bee mines.

Archived