Same world seed has different vents on other computer

My brother had the idea of playing the same world seed and see how far we get. Now after playing a few days we just realised that our vents and gravitas structures are placed completely differently. Aren't world seeds supposed to also decide vent and structure placement?

We tried it again generating new worlds from the same seed and the worlds do look exactly the same, but I get a Neural Vacillator close to the starting biome and my brother does not. Also the vents are placed completely differently.

We are both on the exact same version of the game. I have purchased the DLC and he has not, but I have deactivated it and I'm playing in the classic game. I also tried uninstalling the DLC in Steam to make sure it is gone, but still had the same problem. We have also disabled all our mods, and still the same result. Exactly the same map, but different vents, geysers and structures.

One major difference is that I'm playing on Linux (PopOS) and he is playing on Windows 10. Could that cause a difference in world gen?

Anyone know a trick for how we can play the exact same map?

World seed: OCAN-A-344602304-0
Here is a screenshot of the gravitas building I have up left that is missing on the worlds generated on my brothers computer.
(Just dig a little upwards to see it)

275770468_Screenshotfrom2022-01-0623-52-58.thumb.png.8cc65199fd62b4e7cc94d1d60949517b.png.

I tried running the same world gen on Windows (with DLC installed but deactivated).  I got the same map from what I can see, but without the gravitas building you've got there.  For good measure, I did this 3 times.  Got the same world each time with the same feature placements.

You could try completely uninstalling the game and reinstalling it.  If you've got 1 out of date file, that could throw things off.  If that fails, generate a world, and email the save file to your brother.  

There was previously an issue where world traits with internal capital letters sorted differently on windows and linux, leading to worldgen differences... this is probably something similar, or even the same bug. Try filing a bug report, and hopefully it will get looked at.

I suspect it is some outdated file present in one world-gen and not in the other. Even a single bit of randomness (well pseudo-randomness) consumed on one system but not on the other will throw everything afterwards off in world generation. As the worlds look mostly the same and only differ in geysers which are AFAIK done late in world generation, the randomness generator should actually generate the same sequence. Even rare edge cases usually get hit pretty fast. I doubt that this is a platform issue. Not ruling it out completely, but seems unlikely. 

Of course it is possible that there is a difference in the world-gens themselves on Windows and Linux. It is also possible that the DLC interferes with world-gen for the base game when it should not.

I would recommend a clean install on both systems and then try again. If still different, file a bug report with the seed.

Thank you for your replies! Gave me an idea that thanks to Steam Proton I can actually run the Windows version on my machine too!

And as you expected, when running the Windows version of the game, it generates the same world my brother sees. Even the traits already shown in the destination selection screen are different!

Traits for this world seed on Linux:

2029211641_Screenshotfrom2022-01-1300-06-47.thumb.png.454f65d30f27d4e96d300cd3bf9e4ea4.png

Traits for this world seed on Windows (running in proton on Linux):

1241889886_Screenshotfrom2022-01-1300-00-09.thumb.png.70c69beb49c6899a2ff99aa024926094.png

So yes as you suggested @Jann5s I could create a save game using the windows version and then continue running it on the Linux version.

BUT what I also discovered is that the Windows version through proton RUNS 20 FPS FASTER FOR ME!!!! Somehow the game has always struggled to get above 30 FPS for me and I've just assumed it is my machine that is too slow for some reason. But now using the windows version THROUGH the proton emulator IT RUNS AT 50 FPS?! So smooth!!!

• Developer
On 1/6/2022 at 6:00 PM, Yobbo said:

There was previously an issue where world traits with internal capital letters sorted differently on windows and linux, leading to worldgen differences... this is probably something similar, or even the same bug. Try filing a bug report, and hopefully it will get looked at.

Linux world trait discrepancies will be fixed in the next update.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:53 AM, EricKlei said:

Linux world trait discrepancies will be fixed in the next update.

And this is why Oxygen Not Included is such a wonderful game. While I do not use Linux, this makes me want to play the game more, seeing the love and care the developers have for the game.

9 hours ago, OldManGamer said:

And this is why Oxygen Not Included is such a wonderful game. While I do not use Linux, this makes me want to play the game more, seeing the love and care the developers have for the game.

TBH I thought that until I started to be active on forums. After I've seen some bug lists, mods that fix bugs instead of devs... I'm not so sure. An dmanaged to hit few annoying ones myself that have been reported long time ago and.. are growing up :D
And recent performance degradation after DLC is not nice either - I guess it might be a price of having the DLC but AFAIK devs did not comment on that anywhere.

8 hours ago, Orzelek said:

TBH I thought that until I started to be active on forums. After I've seen some bug lists, mods that fix bugs instead of devs... I'm not so sure. An dmanaged to hit few annoying ones myself that have been reported long time ago and.. are growing up :D
And recent performance degradation after DLC is not nice either - I guess it might be a price of having the DLC but AFAIK devs did not comment on that anywhere.

It has been the opposite for me. The game runs smoother, has not crashed, and includes more things. I do not know your system specification, but for me, this game has no issues of that sort. Before hand, it would start freezing above 7 to 10 gb RAM used. At 15 gb used, it would simply crash. Now, I consistently run up to 30, and see no performance issues.  Maybe checking your computer for any upgrades that you can manage and making sure your drivers and software is up to date will help. 

12 hours ago, OldManGamer said:

It has been the opposite for me. The game runs smoother, has not crashed, and includes more things. I do not know your system specification, but for me, this game has no issues of that sort. Before hand, it would start freezing above 7 to 10 gb RAM used. At 15 gb used, it would simply crash. Now, I consistently run up to 30, and see no performance issues.  Maybe checking your computer for any upgrades that you can manage and making sure your drivers and software is up to date will help. 

I don't mean crashes - I think I had one or two blackholes during the dlc and they were know by the time I encountered them.
I meant in general bugs in game that you will find people here learned to go around or live with them because they are reported and not touched for long time.

As for performance - I'm mostly reffering to a lot of discussion aorund significant performance loss around merge down of DLC to base game. I didn't encounter performance issue but I don't build huge bases (like 20 dubes or so and no multiple asteroids developed till now). And I have a gaming PC so performance is decent on those.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, Orzelek said:

TBH I thought that until I started to be active on forums. After I've seen some bug lists, mods that fix bugs instead of devs... I'm not so sure. An dmanaged to hit few annoying ones myself that have been reported long time ago and.. are growing up

Every game has bugs like that. Something that is annoying but never fixed and seems like the devs gave up on fixing it. Might be an issue that affects too many systems and produces more bugs or just something that`s not worth the time as it doesn`t affect 90% of the playerbase. My experience when coming to different game forums is usually like that. Often the first thing you`ll see is complainign about bugs like that that you weren`t even aware of. It`s discuraging but normal. Overall the game is still good and is being actively maintained.

As for performance i can`t say it`s that much worse for an average player. I remember going below 20 fps after 500 cycles in the base game (below 10 with jet suits enabled). It`s pretty terrible in an age where we expect 120 to be a standard and anything below 60 a huge problem. Personally i`m used to playing games at low fps due to always having a pretty bad pc and even at 20 it`s still playable. It`s not perfect and could be better but i understand there have to be limitations to how much a pc can do. The performance fix is an ongoing process and every second update the devs mention they imrpoved it a bit (better loadtimes, a few more fps on lategame colonies etc.). As lonmg as they are working on the game it can get better.

6 hours ago, Orzelek said:

I don't mean crashes - I think I had one or two blackholes during the dlc and they were know by the time I encountered them.
I meant in general bugs in game that you will find people here learned to go around or live with them because they are reported and not touched for long time.

As for performance - I'm mostly reffering to a lot of discussion aorund significant performance loss around merge down of DLC to base game. I didn't encounter performance issue but I don't build huge bases (like 20 dubes or so and no multiple asteroids developed till now). And I have a gaming PC so performance is decent on those.

I do not understand what you are saying. I have not seen any performance issues, is what I mean. The freezing between saves no longer happens, without using a modification, and the other random freezes no longer happen. The panning during game play does not cause stuttering anymore either. Rendering has no issues either. What performance issues are you referring to? Anything specific? Perhaps we can troubleshoot it, and if we can recreate it, give a defined and specific bug report. 

As for general bugs, I have not experienced anything that I feel I need to work around, unless it is a modification program that I applied to the game that conflicts in some manner. I use the entire space available for a base, spreading out and digging every single square. I usually will have enough dupes to have nearly every name twice.  I think there are 35 names in all. I usually put an "i" or an "o" at the end of the second duplicate with the same name. Not sure why, just went with that to tell them apart. Meepo! Bubblesi!

As for issues, I have no problems with looking at specifics if you have some. Cheers and game on!

Archived