Dupes suffocate because stupid

Scenario: I mark an area of 10+(widht) by 4(high) to be mined. Dupe will climb on top of the area and starts digging. So far so good. Now the dupe will mine everything around it, but not the tile beneath. This results in standing on a too high place to climb down and the dupe cant get back to an oxygen area, until mining the tile beneath it. But no, the other tile in range is more important, so the dupe ist just continuing to suffocate... 

I suggest a more practical system so dupes wont trap itself unnecessarily all by themself.

You can queue up digging 2 tiles high at a time, as wide as you want and you will never see a dupe trap themselves. Start from the top so that no sand or snow falls on their heads and trap them somehow. Be aware if there are gaps and holes before queuing things up. If managing how your duplicants dig is not your cup of tea, there is also a sandbox tool to dig up instantly and will save you a lot of frustrations.

59 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

I suggest a more practical system so dupes wont trap itself unnecessarily all by themself.

What is your suggestion? I read this more as a slice of life followed by a request to the devs to find a solution on their own and reprogram dupes AI and digging priorities so that you don't encounter the issue again in the future.

This issue is common when the tile the dupe is standing on is harder than the stuff he can mine. That`s actually a risk. I had dupes get stuck in no oxygen zones due to them being unable to dig certain types of tiles. As annoying as it is dupes need supervision even when doing the most simple tasks. Even in a 200+ cycle world with all dupes maxed on build and mine i often have to yellow alert when one of them does something dumb. Just dupe life.

Since 4 years I build "Dupe Rails", leaving 4 tiles of space in between. Once the ladder strips have been dug out, one only needs to mark the rest in between for digging. The 4 tile wide ladder system also makes it possible that a dupe can reach any tile.

image.png.c6049d2aeff979afef95f0e505ef777a.pngimage.thumb.png.fcb6e186185369d9751761f5398e621c.pngimage.thumb.png.64aad7845422ab173d272f7b067ef5d0.pngimage.thumb.png.224d6c41f757db6f86f2819a7879226e.png

image.png.90e13244d5a3c8b8c8ebe06af70d0bbd.png Jumper ladders for horizontal dupe movement

image.thumb.png.e57ad151f6bfb4427a4d64b897a642e2.png Mesh tile foundations

On 12/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, NeoDeusMachina said:

You can queue up digging 2 tiles high at a time, as wide as you want and you will never see a dupe trap themselves. Start from the top so that no sand or snow falls on their heads and trap them somehow. Be aware if there are gaps and holes before queuing things up. If managing how your duplicants dig is not your cup of tea, there is also a sandbox tool to dig up instantly and will save you a lot of frustrations.

What is your suggestion? I read this more as a slice of life followed by a request to the devs to find a solution on their own and reprogram dupes AI and digging priorities so that you don't encounter the issue again in the future.

you are painting the presentation of a real problem with an easy solution as if he was causing world wide hunger, and yes for your surprise its in the devs best intrest to fix this, might not be a high priority problem but growing complacent as your last comment suggests is never a positive thing to do, specially for a game in continued development.

3 hours ago, PIRATE D KING said:

you are painting the presentation of a real problem with an easy solution as if he was causing world wide hunger, and yes for your surprise its in the devs best intrest to fix this, might not be a high priority problem but growing complacent as your last comment suggests is never a positive thing to do, specially for a game in continued development.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean in your post, sorry.

My reply was made out of 2 parts. 

The first one is a suggestion to the OP for workarounds that can be applied now to avoid frustrations with the current AI when digging large areas.

The second was a question to the OP as their post was worded as "I suggest ..." but nothing was suggested other than "I suggest you fix the game". Perhaps complementing it with how the OP would imagine the improved AI could work would contribute something meaningful and could be an actual suggestion.

On 12/16/2021 at 7:30 PM, NeoDeusMachina said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean in your post, sorry.

My reply was made out of 2 parts. 

The first one is a suggestion to the OP for workarounds that can be applied now to avoid frustrations with the current AI when digging large areas.

The second was a question to the OP as their post was worded as "I suggest ..." but nothing was suggested other than "I suggest you fix the game". Perhaps complementing it with how the OP would imagine the improved AI could work would contribute something meaningful and could be an actual suggestion.

To pretend we can tell the developers how to code the game so that we "would contribute something meaningful" would be more a show of arrogance than an actual contribution unless we are an expert on the field (wich the majority of players are not) and have deeply analyzed the code of the game.

Also, while being strict about correct usage of words is not a bad thing on itself, being pedantic about it contributes to absolutely nothing, not to this topic nor to the game, the overall message OP wanted to deliver was simply "this doesnt work efficiently, please fix it" wich was not only true but also something that was easy to grasp even if he didnt use the most precise words he could have.

In short your reply seems more like an unnecessary desire for needless and unrequired confrotation than a "contribution to something meaningful".

Archived