Vanishing, uhh, naphtha?

Gonna leave this here... This has also happened in two other pump setups.

49001327_Trickpumpingissue.thumb.png.9ab74b7e63549307051072c8fe0b2aa0.png

I'll start saving manually, every three cycles. Almost right after I choose something from the printing pod. (Then restart the game after killing steamwebhelper that is slowly leaking memory and cleaning that mess up too.)

I probably need a new computer, one that meets the 1.21 GW power requirement.

14 minutes ago, helium3 said:

I think jrup is saying the naphtha being used to make magma pumping work is getting deleted.

Correct... The naphtha has been given to the oil pixies and left me with inoperative pumps. (I shudder at the thought of what they do with it.)
I'm currently in the process of updating this particular build to an escher-waterfall-based setup that will give me 10 kg/s from a single pump. It will indeed need more space and liquid to get it working though.

The save file is rather old (6500+ cycles) and the computer needs a renovation, as in buying new CPU+RAM+MoBo and gutting the old innards out and... So for now I have to play conservatively and actively avoid the 3am bug so that the PC doesn't grind to a halt and cause "funny" stuff like this to happen...

On 11/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, JRup said:

I'll start saving manually

To me this sounds like the same bug that deletes steam from turbines. @wachunga and @ghkbrew were able to reproduce the bug reliably. They found it was temperature related, and also affected most likely every other packet (which could affect your pump setup as the naphtha doesn't come out every tick), and even gave equations to help understand the temperature issue.  As I look at your pipework, it appear that you are using regular pipes (obsidian?), not insulated.  Could it be that the lava has heated the pipes up to just the right temperature so that deletion starts occurring?  I haven't played for a while, nor gone bug checking, but this seems reasonable.  What's the temp on your vent?  What's the temp of the naphtha before it gets deleted? Could it be that it's being deleted in one chunk because of the same bug? More questions than answers, sorry, but that's my guess. 

As for the 3am bug, here's a solution.  At midnight set your system clock ahead to 6am, then you can feel like an earlier riser. Play for 6 hours (till noon), and then set your clock back 6 hours to 6am. You could even setup a CRON job to automate all this, so you never have to deal with the 3am bug. :) 

On 11/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, mathmanican said:

As I look at your pipework, it appear that you are using regular pipes (obsidian?), not insulated.

The relevant first pipes for the pump setup are insulation. The filtered liquid in this setup is naphtha. I would have not have slept well If I had even considered using ceramic knowing that naphtha was sharing spaces with magma... (I haven't acquired the taste of filling the magma biome with sour gas, yet. I'm also pumping magma there and pumping from a leaky oil fissure elsewhere. All pump setups have had their naphtha vanish at some point recently.)

The naphtha is actively cooled by the metal tile above as part of the power-free filter setup. So there is no way it has turned into a gas.

This mock up lacks the metal tile above the liquid valve but it pretty much sums up how I usually go about with materials on power free filters and where I hide the cooling:

612528877_powerfreefilter.thumb.png.75446905a2d05296aaa9aadad6d70243.png

These were the original piping arrangements once upon a time:

454370717_Minipumperfinalpipes.thumb.png.d51483e4b1f1c7a71abdceaed9646965.png

The build has been updated to use a concept proposed by @Zarquan (IIRC, I've lost the thread where that was. Edit: Link to actual design provided by him. ) I haven't got an up to date screenshot at the moment (ONI is on cooldown ATM.) But the gist of it is like this (I had included an airlock to start/stop the waterfall, but that's just silly):

347086377_MinipumperEscher(Saturnus).thumb.png.b3771b3a60403530618e014112bffd1d.png

I'm currently blaming cosmic rays and maybe the internal maths in the liquid valve/liquid vent going wonky when memory gets swapped out to disk (and the pc is crying uncle). The current plan of action is to relaunch the game every so often, the printing pod being a good cue to do so. It avoids the computer slowing to a crawl anyhow.

I guess I could have the dupes do some pipe gymnastics and actually rejigger the power-free filter design to filter for magma. (Just crossing fingers not a single blob of liquid lead would fall in the range of the pump, though.)

On 11/30/2021 at 4:36 PM, thegroundbelow said:

What is "the 3am bug" ?

You'll get there...

Minor update: I have rummaged through the good ol' box of memories. Found a 8GB kit and fit it right into the open slots. Both kits are CL10 but different brands. "Hands me down PC" has become a step closer to being homebrew.

PC hardware in spoiler...

Spoiler

image.png.23970c4a1e68184fc0e3f61a844a7c7e.png

Heatsink found in fleabay for less than $2 usd....

PC no longer cries uncle with 24GB in total RAM.

Building new conveyor *anything* does make the game hitch at this point, but I think I've abused that system enough (not). The renewed magma pumping station is soon to come online and no longer uses naptha, that leaves only two such setups where naphtha is used but there haven't been any more alien naphtha abductions, at least for now.

(Vanishing steam? Wot's dat? Nah, just kidding, I get that all the time. Atmo sensors and refillers are part of the standard ST build at this point for me.)

On 11/30/2021 at 5:53 PM, JRup said:

347086377_MinipumperEscher(Saturnus).thumb.png.b3771b3a60403530618e014112bffd1d.png

I'm currently blaming cosmic rays and maybe the internal maths in the liquid valve/liquid vent going wonky when memory gets swapped out to disk (and the pc is crying uncle). The current plan of action is to relaunch the game every so often, the printing pod being a good cue to do so. It avoids the computer slowing to a crawl anyhow.

I guess I could have the dupes do some pipe gymnastics and actually rejigger the power-free filter design to filter for magma. (Just crossing fingers not a single blob of liquid lead would fall in the range of the pump, though.)

You'll get there...

That looks like something I made a while ago, but it wasn't perfect because I didn't know about the magma 10 tile limit at the time.

18 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

That looks like something I made a while ago, but it wasn't perfect because I didn't know about the magma 10 tile limit at the time.

This is definitely it. I'll update the credits where due. Thank you, I was cringing at the thought of checking my forum activity to find it!

A very minor update on the pumper is that it's stable as can be! It's a great match with the minor volcano.

Also most of the mass vanishing woes seem to have stabilized after the addition of RAM. I'll keep the refillers and automated counters, though.

@mathmanican & @Zarquan

I've been experiencing a not so exciting phenomenon that is happening on load:

Liquid is vanishing from the escher waterfall every time I load the save file. (I did create several consecutive save files to track this down...) Speed was at 1x every time. Well, I guess that's what happens when a file is long in the tooth like this one.

It's not like the build can't be updated to only create a waterfall on demand. It shall be a somewhat nagging ordeal for the dupes, but it shall be done.

I got teleported to 12am just by staring at this part of the base... (There was some unrelated magma teleporting too, that's fixed now.)

Remodeled, right in between eruptions...

1955099668_Newpumparrangement.thumb.png.187855e66b3ca21538a15c7018a325e7.png

There was magma teleporting from the left, I never knew doors could force liquids into an airflow tile... So ceramic insulated it is.

Eh, actually 60kg per shot... lol

image.thumb.png.bc3bcae6b246d251a55b2a9ceb12af39.png

54 minutes ago, JRup said:

Remodeled, right in between eruptions...

1955099668_Newpumparrangement.thumb.png.187855e66b3ca21538a15c7018a325e7.png

There was magma teleporting from the left, I never knew doors could force liquids into an airflow tile... So ceramic insulated it is.

Eh, actually 60kg per shot... lol

image.thumb.png.bc3bcae6b246d251a55b2a9ceb12af39.png

Thats a mesh tile so I guess it's correct somehow?
Game wanted to displace the liquid and found that cell to put it.

11 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Thats a mesh tile so I guess it's correct somehow?

I had put the mesh tile after the fact. In three acts:

Originally, there was an airflow tile. Teleporting happened.

Then I swapped it out for a ceramic insulated tile. Teleporting happened.

Finally, I caved and put a mesh tile for looks. No more teleporting.

It is a build that's luxuriantly abundant in sensors. But that's what you get when playing with magma close to other liquids. The hydrogen generator is now happy because no more mystery-hot-igneous rocks are appearing "from nowhere". The minor volcano is now dormant, so I'll have to wait for a while for further news. No news is the best news in this context, though.

Archived