When is next DS DLC!!!!!!

You should probably post this in the DS forum instead of into the DST forum, it’s two different games. Hamlet also not too long ago just released for console players- and usually companies don’t churn out big expansions in such a short time period between one another. It could take literal years before we see another Big DLC like Hamlet or Shipwrecked.

I just really hope the developers at Klei realize, despite the apparent popularity of DST, that Hamlet is really the high point of the DS universe, and that they should really continue in that direction. Everything is Hamlet is so creative, so interesting, so well balanced! The bosses, the contradictory hostility and fragility of the deep rainforest, the particular challenges of the seasons, and I could go on and on! Klei would have to give way to demand, and it seems that the demand will remain DST for a long long long time, but in terms of the quality of the concepts... I just want more Hamlet stuff!!!!!!

On 11/24/2021 at 11:06 AM, Bad Willow said:

but the ds forum is as dead as a graveyard

It's only dead because people aren't posting here about DS. It's a singleplayer game, and not everyone is into that. Lots of users are drawn to DST because of being able to play with friends and yes, that is the most active forum as a result. Multiple players = multiple posts.   

I remember the days when this forum was alive and hopping with regular posts about a base that someone built and was looking for tips to improve with, a monster that was encountered that they didn't quite know how to handle, and general questions about gameplay. I checked-in every day, even if I didn't answer everything.   

I would love to see this forum come alive again, with love and passion and interest in DS. But the world has moved on with the advance of the internet, and having it available in our hands/fingers. People are less-patient and less-willing to experiment, and would rather Google/look-up the answer to a hard puzzle instead of discovering on their own. I fall into that trap myself with other games, not gonna lie.    

I, and others, are still here for you though. We'll coach and guide you and new players, anytime you have questions. We love DS and appreciate you and anyone else discovering the game, and finding ways to love it as well.  

Yes!!! that was a very good observation that people are way more impatient and also I'd add that the idea of building your own world just no longer appeals to people who are afraid to be alone, and this is precisely why DST is so popular, people who prefer to play with people, and people who like the openness of having new content once in a while, instead of the feeling of closure and completeness that characterize the DS DLCs. I'm just very glad that Klei has drawn the clear line between DS and DST so that DS still feels like an enchanted world with its proper themes while DST can take on the mélange aspect of all massive multiplier games.

The advancement of streaming has also taken a toll on this game.   

Don't Starve was Alpha in 2012 and Beta in 2013, and streaming had barely even begun at that point. Smart phones were becoming normal, but not everyone had one, many people were still using call/text-only phones and paying exorbitant costs for internet access. The Wiki had been created, but everyone was still learning and contributing details, and patches/fixes were ongoing so changes were constant.   

5-10 years ago, we all had reason and need to interact in this forum, because we were all collaborating and figuring things out together. Now, all the answers are out there. And with game-streams being very prevalent and popular as a mode of gaming social interaction, text forums like this are gathering dust. People ask and see the answers to their questions in real-time because of streaming and videos and LiveChat, and have no reason to wait or figure things out on their own.       

DS was trying to solve that human predicament, and in its heyday, it truly did ... but unfortunately, time and technology has advanced so all its secrets are revealed.  

I still love this game, it's my favorite and what I always recommend to people IRL. Hell, I've bought it and DLCs to gift to people, that's how much I love it. But yes, there is a certain point where you have to decide for yourself why you're playing. Are you playing for completion, or are you playing for the experience.  

I play for the experience, and I think that's what long-time players who are still hanging around here do too. I still get a little chill inside hearing the squeaky-squacky noises when a world is generating. I love the complete silence in the background while Maxwell greets me on day zero. It's eerie to explore a landscape and hear nothing but birds cawing. It's invigorating to find a lucky set piece. It's disappointing to not find a lucky set piece but challenging to survive without it. Each world is fresh, and it's a new opportunity to be better than the last.

I also play DS for the experience, I would always prefer singleplayer over multiplayer that is not only because I don't have friends (so there's no point for me to play DST) but just the stuff that DS has to offer 

I don't mind if we won't get a new DLC anytime soon, all I want is that Klei just starts updating singleplayer DS again (even if it's just Qols and bugfixes, Please) and there's alot of potential for new content, Klei could even just balance and insert the unused mobs, items and survivors, that itself would make enough content for a year full of updates

...#NoLife

WILL The year (2021) be a year without even not a update for singleplayer DS? I hope not, Klei forgets that no singleplayer, no together. If the singleplayer DS did not become famous, what would happen to Together? Together won't exist.

I play DST almost exclusively Alone, it’s nice to be able to invite a friend in but even WITH that friend we run around doing our own thing in the same world. 95% of time played Alone 5% played with others.

But DST is still 100% playable alone- you don’t have to have friends, there’s an actual option for hosting an Offline Single Player World- And still getting to enjoy all the newer content they added since 2019

Wendys petal buff for example- Yes it boosts the damage of other players, BUT it Boosts the damage of WENDY by More, making her Perfectly playable without friends to “Together” With.

Not to mention crafting costs of marble armor being half as much as it is for Solo DS, you can Create 2 sets of Armor in DST for the costs it’ll take to make one in DS. There’s also the Instant Tame Beefalo, Solo DS doesn’t have the Beefalo Bell so you can’t get a furry companion to follow you around everywhere as you passively feed and tame it- You still have to tame it the old way without the follower bell in DS.

I doubt there will be anymore DLC for the single player game because DST is a direct Sequel to it- taking place after the events at the end of DS. Adding new dlc for solo DS can “Potentially” break the lore of DST.

Now they can maybe do “Pre-End of DS DLC..” But even then they would need to be cautious as to what they add during Maxwells reign that doesn’t straight up collide with Charlie’s.

Unless DLCs are Non-Canon (which has been proven not to be the case..) If DLC was Non-Canon Klei should go nuts with more DS DLC.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Quote...

Sorry for the salty-ness in advance

This has been controversial for quite some time but what's the point playing a multiplayer game alone? every thing in it has been made with a 'multiplayer' aspect (like increasing all  bosses health and reducing armor durability) you could argue this as a challenge but, just stop lying to yourself the game was never meant to be played alone.

About the content, DS singleplayer still offers 3 times the content then DST, even with all these weekly updates that it gets.

You can't even argue about the lore, the Hamlet DLC was released nearly 2 years after the release of DST, nobody had any question about the 'lore breaking' back then.

And the arguement about the bugs and changes, sure Klei doesn't fix bugs and do balance changes for DS anymore but a lot of people in the DS modding community have made mods to fix these, like DS balance tweaks or DS code patch (has been removed from the workshop but I might be able to share it with you) or the mods made by skittles sour aka Bad Willow (the author of this post) and there's even mods that port content from DST, what else do you want?

People like DST and I understand that, but they should't undermine the singleplayer version, after all it's what DST came from

19 minutes ago, Unnat7 said:

Sorry for the salty-ness in advance

This has been controversial for quite some time but what's the point playing a multiplayer game alone? every thing in it has been made with a 'multiplayer' aspect (like increasing all  bosses health and reducing armor durability) you could argue this as a challenge but, just stop lying to yourself the game was never meant to be played alone.

About the content, DS singleplayer still offers 3 times the content then DST, even with all these weekly updates that it gets.

You can't even argue about the lore, the Hamlet DLC was released nearly 2 years after the release of DST, nobody had any question about the 'lore breaking' back then.

And the arguement about the bugs and changes, sure Klei doesn't fix bugs and do balance changes for DS anymore but a lot of people in the DS modding community have made mods to fix these, like DS balance tweaks or DS code patch (has been removed from the workshop but I might be able to share it with you) or the mods made by skittles sour aka Bad Willow (the author of this post) and there's even mods that port content from DST, what else do you want?

People like DST and I understand that, but they should't undermine the singleplayer version, after all it's what DST came from

I’m playing on an Xbox Console and Mods aren’t allowed on an Xbox- But the same way you claim that there’s Mods to add DST content into DS..

There is also mods to add DS content into DST- One of those mods allows you to scale enemy and boss health to be single player acceptable, another of those mods allows you to play the content from the single players paid DLC expansions for free.

If you have access to mods you can bend DS and DST to your will, and if you don’t- Your stuck with the content offered by the game and if your lucky a few world Gen settings.

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Quote...

Again sorry for the salty-ness in advance

Have you just noticed the lag whenever you use those mods? My PC isn't the best (and not everyone owns a gaming PC) it might sometimes lag even when playing DST without any mods, just imagine what will happen with those mods enabled 

You are not getting the point, all I want is that Klei just starts updating DS, If DS is getting constant updates the player won't crave for content, they won't need these mods,

The DS content belongs to DS and the DST content to DST mixing them up is not good combination.

Again I understand that some people love DST more than DS but they just shouldn't undermine DS just because you can get all it's content with a ('free') mod whereas a DS player payed for it which doesn't even get updated anymore

3 hours ago, Unnat7 said:

Again sorry for the salty-ness in advance

Have you just noticed the lag whenever you use those mods? My PC isn't the best (and not everyone owns a gaming PC) it might sometimes lag even when playing DST without any mods, just imagine what will happen with those mods enabled 

You are not getting the point, all I want is that Klei just starts updating DS, If DS is getting constant updates the player won't crave for content, they won't need these mods,

The DS content belongs to DS and the DST content to DST mixing them up is not good combination.

Again I understand that some people love DST more than DS but they just shouldn't undermine DS just because you can get all it's content with a ('free') mod whereas a DS player payed for it which doesn't even get updated anymore

You are right. DS needs some love.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:33 PM, KXWl1 said:

WILL The year (2021) be a year without even not a update for singleplayer DS? I hope not, Klei forgets that no singleplayer, no together. If the singleplayer DS did not become famous, what would happen to Together? Together won't exist.

We might not get anything at all. I mean, this game is nearly 10 years old now. I can't see the stats of how many people play this vs. other Klei games, but I would imagine this is lowering year-over-year. That happens as games age.  

Companies usually either sell out and start charging people for interesting and fresh content, or they let the game ride/die on its own merit. Klei does still watch and read and take input from these forums, but we have to be realistic ... as the player base for DS grows stagnant, so will updates.  

DS was a tough game for people to get into playing even when it began, because of how uncompromising it was and forcing people to learn on their own. I don't imagine that's gotten better as time has passed. Singleplayer is a game of love and hard work, with deliberate change and difference in player engagement. 

What I hold out hope for is fun 10 year anniversary hype - so 2022 or 2013. Drop us forum users (and all the modders, lets not forget their amazing contributions and dedication over the years!) a puzzle or a fresh patch of new content as thanks ... something grand to recognize loyal players, and give a nod of appreciation to where this all began.  

On 11/28/2021 at 10:12 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I play DST almost exclusively Alone, it’s nice to be able to invite a friend in but even WITH that friend we run around doing our own thing in the same world. 95% of time played Alone 5% played with others.

But DST is still 100% playable alone- you don’t have to have friends, there’s an actual option for hosting an Offline Single Player World- And still getting to enjoy all the newer content they added since 2019

<snip>

I enjoy seeing gamers play DST alone, and give themselves that extra challenge. Since DST ramps everything up and changes the way the game and characters are played, I appreciate the extra effort you and other people are going through, and it is inspiring.  

I feel like you're missing the point though. DS and DST are not meant to be the same. The additions and reworks for DST fundamentally changed the base game and experience of DS - it HAD to in order to accommodate multiple players, and multiple players makes everything different. Klei created lore to keep the two experiences synchronous as much as possible, but whether it feels good or bad is up to players to decide when they experience it.  

Have you ever read the PennyArcade article from Klei about why and how they created Don't Starve? I encourage you and everyone to do so. I'm attaching it to this post.

Many people who supported Klei and DS voiced their unhappiness and abandoned Klei when multiplayer/DST became real. The reason I bring this up is because you're giving the same sort of encouragement and reasons for people to play DST, when we're talking about not wanting it and desiring the original singleplayer game. 

This is not the time or place to hype up something else. We already know what we want, and what you're talking about isn't it. You can't convince us, so please don't. Instead, understand and accept us as being committed to the singleplayer DS experience, and encourage that.

Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic rewards in Klei’s latest game; Don’t Starve.pdf

I’m not trying to convince you to play DST, all I’m saying is that features I have grown very fondly attached to simply dont, and won’t ever exist in the 2013 single player game.

The New way of passively taming Beefalo as they loyally follow you everywhere including down into caves, being able to dress my beefy friend up in cute costumes, it is really really hard to go back and play the frustratingly outdated single player game.

If your On PC you can download mods to better your experience, but if you happen to be playing on an Xbox, your going to get very sad when basic QoL features DST has received aren’t in DS, for example items Auto stacking themselves into your inventory upon pick up.

Your also going to be sad when you don’t have features like Marches QoL update to DST that lets you choose how much, how little or even None at all a certain feature, mob or gameplay mechanics happens.

Yes you can now completely turn OFF Nightmare Creatures if you want.. or- increase how often they spawn.

I wouldn’t mind another single player dlc but- Klei would have to be extra cautious in not having that dlcs story coincide with what’s currently ongoing during Charlie’s reign in the DST story plot-

Wagstaff is now in DST in a Moonstorm event doing god only knows what.. for example- So Single player dlc will have to be 

A: Non-Canon.

B: A Pre-Quel.

or C: What the constant would look like during Wilson’s Reign.

(the area of the game where DS officially ends, and DST officially begins)

But with Hamlet just recently releasing for Xbox and Nintendo switch, I don’t realistically foresee Klei pumping out another Single Player DLC anytime soon.

I could always be wrong.. but it just seems Unlikely for the time being.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not trying to convince you to play DST, all I’m saying is that features I have grown very fondly attached to simply dont, and won’t ever exist in the 2013 single player game.

<snip>

So what? You're in the Don't Starve singleplayer forum right now. It's great that you're fond of DST and its features, but that's not what we're talking about.    

We're not asking how DST is or how enjoyable the differences are or if it should be seen as superior. We're talking about how much we love DS and what we hope for and look forward to in the future.    

Will you please stop telling us how much better another game is, and implying our ideas and conversations are hopeless? You're being continually negative, yet it doesn't harm you or your experience in DST that we're happy and enjoy playing Don't Starve as it was originally created.   

Let us just enjoy DS, and be enthusiastic and support each other together.     

I actually own both games, and play both games, and all the dlcs, and those DLCs for Mobile platform as well.

Im allowed to like both games, there’s no law stating that I can’t.. I’m only telling you from a Story writers point of view- Any additional content added to DS absolutely Can NOT surpass DSTs lore- 

I write stories that’s how I make my actual living.. Klei absolutely can’t tell a story in DS that breaks the lore of its Sequel.

That doesn’t mean DS can’t get new DLCs.. it just means it can’t get any DLC that clashes against Charlie’s Reign.

For example- the Moon breaking apart and crash landing into the oceans terraforming mobs and biomes of DST- that can’t EVER Exist in DS because it didn’t happen during the story plot of DS.

Regarding QoL updates and bug fixes: the main issue that Klei would have to figure out is how to monetise continuing work on DS + DLCs. For DST, the idea of having purely cosmetic purchasable content, and thus being able to justify continuing to work on the game without fracturing the player base with DLCs is fantastic. I am not sure it would work as well for single player, since I don't know how much people are prepared to pay for skins in DS.

I do think that the single player version with its DLCs is amazing in its own right, and I hope that Klei can sell many more copies, and maybe resume working on it if they find a way to make money off that, because the game really deserves it.

18 hours ago, Majestix said:

Regarding QoL updates and bug fixes: the main issue that Klei would have to figure out is how to monetise continuing work on DS + DLCs. For DST, the idea of having purely cosmetic purchasable content, and thus being able to justify continuing to work on the game without fracturing the player base with DLCs is fantastic. I am not sure it would work as well for single player, since I don't know how much people are prepared to pay for skins in DS.

I do think that the single player version with its DLCs is amazing in its own right, and I hope that Klei can sell many more copies, and maybe resume working on it if they find a way to make money off that, because the game really deserves it.

Maybe klei can create more DLCs (these are smaller, and only contains some items), just like EA did to The Sims 4.

Klei after getting bought by Tencent and now is only making stuff that makes them more money.
giphy.gif

Spoiler

also I'm surprised everyone forget there is some form of Continuation of Singleplayer DS in Don't Starve Newhome where you can actually see some concepts and features that were for Hamlet and DS.

Archived