Most underrated Item?

Floral shirt. A bit expensive to be making every year, but it provides for both the caves (sanity boost) and the surface (heat protection) so long as you remember to visit the desert when summer starts. Collecting the flowers also nets you cactus flesh, a top-tier food source for exploring the caves.

Moon dial. Enough light to ward off Charlie so long as it's not new moon, and a good reminder of when it's time to visit your pig farm/moon stone/Glommers statue.

Leafy meat. It's unique recipes are comically powerful given how easily it can be obtained from meat bulb boat farms, to the point that I'm tempted to consider boat farms an exploit and stop using them.

8 hours ago, ALCRD said:

I honestly rather just try to get / save up enough blue gems to turn Chester into ice Chester then juggle 2 thermal stones.

While amulet is tempting i rather not.

You stock pile tons of blue gems by the 1st winter via hound waves, graves and walrus camp. Also they fall from earth quakes and mining stalagmites. For an unexperience player can be difficult but blue gems are easy to get for not so experience players

Ok, you waste 9 blue gems instead of 1 (or was 2? I cant remember) to get a 9 slot chester that is only really useful in summer (and replazable for an ice box, endothermic fires or polar stars). Meanwhile for few gold and few blue gems you can survive summer with that items meanwhile your chester have 12 slots that works for the entire year

I dont understand why people dont use it often when is almost free. Few gold, which is the easier resource and few blues gems and you can survive summer for years

On 11/7/2021 at 9:17 PM, JuanchoXdiaz said:

In my opinion the Chilled Amulet is really useful in early game Summer, paired with other Heat Reduction clothes, I never have to make an Endothermic Fire when exploring, you wear it a bit and you're ready to go.

I remember that a chilled amulet was essential survival gear for me in Shipwrecked, where I often did not get around to killing the Tiger shark before the first summer, and when I was not yet experienced enough with the volcano altar, so that I would regularly be told by the game "drop everything and leave your base NOW; I don't care that you are about to overheat and wanted to cool off, just run".

In DST, summer is just such a good time for spelunking that I almost don't bother with cooling solutions.

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You stock pile tons of blue gems by the 1st winter via hound waves

Not with default hound wave setting no.

Barely had enough to fill up chester in my first winter when playing on my Wormwood world.

I was 2 blue gems short for the Ice Chester so had to try my luck with grave robbing.

It's not like these are 100% chance drop. Only 20% and ice hounds don't appear in any big numbers in hound waves.. especially not in first winter so unless you lucky to find multipile mctusk houses (Which in my word it was only 1.) you won't stock up on "tons of" blue gems just from hounds in your 1st winter. RNG plays a key part.

to get a 9 slot chester that is only really useful in summer

I'm sorry? It's still the same chester with same amount of slots but now it can freeze thermal stones and keep food fresh as a bonus.

The latter makes it useful all year round unless you play characters that don't rely on food that much like Wanda or Wortox for example and not everyone is capable of rushing Bee Queen to get bundling wraps.

8 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Not with default hound wave setting no.

in play with defult hound wave settings

Barely had enough to fill up chester in my first winter when playing on my Wormwood world.

and for what do you need more than 3 or 4 in early game? ofc, if you waste 9 in the first days of the world , getting them seems difficult but is just because you are wasting all the gems the game give you in the veryearly days

you are comparing wasting 9 gems vs wasting 1 gem and 3 gold. And the amulet cant be killed so...

It's not like these are 100% chance drop. Only 20% and ice hounds don't appear in any big numbers in hound waves.. especially not in first winter so unless you lucky to find multipile mctusk houses (Which in my word it was only 1.) you won't stock up on "tons of" blue gems just from hounds in your 1st winter. RNG plays a key part.

yes tons, tons in comparation with how many you need. In early you only need blue gems for making the shadowmanipulator and an ice staff if you like to use them

i mean, what you say just makes the chill amulet feel way better than ice chester, if is rng dependient and expensive to craft a chill amulet what is transforming chester which cost 900% more?

Few gold, which is the easier resource.

No one is discussing that gold isn't an easy resource.

I am talking about Blue Gems that i both prefer to keep for ice chester and character swap idols.

There are other ways to survive summer including cheap methods so i am ok with not making the Chilled amulet unless i am really desperate.

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

And the amulet cant be killed so

How often do you get your Chester killed?

I am very curious..

Just now, ALCRD said:

I am talking about Blue Gems that i both prefer to keep for ice chester and character swap idols.

There are other ways to survive summer including cheap methods so i am ok with not making the Chilled amulet unless i am really desperate.

dont take it as im forcing you to play my way, im just discussing for what you said about not wasting blue gems on chill amulets because are rare

play as you wish

1 minute ago, ALCRD said:

no but i take into consideration the whole recipe, 1 gem+3gold vs 9 gems

easy math

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

no but i take into consideration the whole recipe, 1 gem+3gold vs 9 gems

easy math

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i mean, what you say just makes the chill amulet feel way better than ice chester, if is rng dependient and expensive to craft a chill amulet what is transforming chester which cost 900% more?

I only have to craft Ice Chester once as opposed to recrafting the chilled amulet. So in the end i will end up saving blue gems instead using them up. Easy math.

Plus chilled amulet doesn't work like a portable food fridge that doesn't occupy my chest slot so there is that.

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

dont take it as im forcing you to play my way

Well you do kinda sound like you do...

6 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I only have to craft Ice Chester once as opposed to recrafting the chilled amulet. So in the end i will end up saving blue gems instead using them up. Easy math.

in 9 years ice chester start to be cheaper than chill amulet, after 9 summers. by that time you can feed lureplants with blue gems

sure, it doesnt slow down food spoling rate but you dont wear it all the time, just when you overheat until you get cool

i think there is a lot of missunderstanding wth that item

6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

sure, it doesnt slow down food spoling rate but you dont wear it all the time, just when you overheat until you get cool

I know it doesn't but i still prefer a portable ice box and just keep a ever lasting thermal stone in my inventory than use the chill amulet.

I don't ever feel the need to use Chilled Amulet except when i was first time playing DST and struggling to survive in Summer. After i learned of alternative methods of countering heat and how to properly survive i never used the Chilled Amulet ever again.

So now i prefer to invest those gems in a portable food fridge to keep my rogies or dragon pies fresh for a bit more and with me at all times.

1 minute ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

I don't get too many blue gems from hound WAVES, but if you have trio tusks, then you can get a lot of blue gems by the end of first winter from them.

Yea i either get 1 tusk camp or 3 spaced out across the entire Huge world which takes so long to travel from one to another.

6 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

What's this then?

There is always 1 in the moonstone biome (that's the one on the left).

On the right, there should be 1 more somewhere in that biome - notice, those 2 aren't scattered "across the entire huge world". They are few seconds from each other.

Edit: In fact i've found the third. And it's even closer.

obrazek.png.22409045ac8cfe9985f257c7223e1c09.png

A combination of Boomerang + Friendly Scarecrow.
The boomerang is a ranged weapon with 10 uses (or less, if you mistime its return) and can kill birds with one hit, unless your character has a damage penalty like Wes. The scarecrow turns crows into canaries, which make them drop morsels at 91% chance.

So per boomerang, you can get 7-9 morsels mostly. I think this is incredibly useful to add up on food supply when you're idling at base and don't know what to do.

Not to butt in but it's weird how y'all seem to be arguing that blue gems are soo easy to gather but also must be used so carefully as to not waste them on a chester/amulet.

How about we agree that an amulet is best for first summer but by second summer your huge supply of gems warrants an ice chester :)

Also about that boomerang thing... I disagree because there are better ways to collect food and you really shouldn't be "idling at base" imo

34 minutes ago, Skelewar said:

there are better ways to collect food and you really shouldn't be "idling at base" imo

Why not? "Idling" at the base can be rewarding. Crop farming , making the base bigger / more prepared for seasons.

One player can go exploring and gathering and other player can take care of the base that works pretty well too.

1 minute ago, ALCRD said:

Why not? "Idling" at the base can be rewarding. Crop farming , making the base bigger / more prepared for seasons.

One player can go exploring and gathering and other player can take care of the base that works pretty well too.

I mean sure but that's not idling that's actively doing something. I guess if you are base building and just occasionally killing birds when convenient, fine! Riddla originally said "idling at base when you don't know what to do" so I'm imagining them just standing by a fire waiting for a bird lol

9 hours ago, Skelewar said:

I mean sure but that's not idling that's actively doing something. I guess if you are base building and just occasionally killing birds when convenient, fine! Riddla originally said "idling at base when you don't know what to do" so I'm imagining them just standing by a fire waiting for a bird lol

I worded my post weirdly, but yes, it's mostly like ALCRD said. When you're doing base chores, the canaries could be randomly landing, and it takes just a few seconds to whip out a boomerang for free morsel and then continue doing your things. Could also be a case in which you simply just want to relax at base and talk with your friend through chat/vc, that time is also nice to play with boomerang around meanwhile.
I think having morsels is always good, with that method it's incredibly easily to stack them up for meaty stews, bacon and eggs, meatballs, etc. Or even small jerky, in case if you still haven't made a trip to lunar island for kelp or you're Wigfrid.

Archived