Small 10kg/s Sour gas boiler

22 hours ago, Isidoro said:

I was curious. I mean: 10kg/s are about 90KW of power, I couldn't see myself using all that power even while splurging it (i.e. not using automation to save it)

Once I had a working save game where I used +500.000 Watts of power ( a dozen or so 50kW lines ) in a colony. To (re)boot the entire power grid system, after power black outs, I had something like +200 bicycles for dupes to get everything back online as initial power system boot up. Once all dupes decided to tube travel to all the backup power bikes, it was time to go in to the kitchen to make a coffee.

Building a hundred aquatuners in survival mode takes ages :p Hundreds of dupes consume sooooooo much Oxygen ! FUN FUN FUN :angel::biggrin-new::angel:

Perhaps Klei someday lets me play much longer with a working save file. In a month I have setup my new pad in life, then its

ONI Tiiiiiimmmmmeeeeeee !!!

:afro: I WANT TO BUILD MY FIRST REACTOR :afro:

image.png.9e9a8c6fa0cb0016a21c8432c8d52677.pngimage.png.4f75f9a9c358c1f2b487a0a0798941ab.pngimage.png.1b9fd2c57d3920b5dddce8c8e6f3778d.png

1 hour ago, babba said:

Once I had a working save game where I used +500.000 Watts of power ( a dozen or so 50kW lines ) in a colony. To (re)boot the entire power grid system, after power black outs, I had something like +200 bicycles for dupes to get everything back online as initial power system boot up. Once all dupes decided to tube travel to all the backup power bikes, it was time to go in to the kitchen to make a coffee.

Building a hundred aquatuners in survival mode takes ages :p Hundreds of dupes consume sooooooo much Oxygen ! FUN FUN FUN :angel::biggrin-new::angel:

Perhaps Klei someday lets me play much longer with a working save file. In a month I have setup my new pad in life, then its

:afro: I WANT TO BUILD MY FIRST REACTOR :afro:

image.png.9e9a8c6fa0cb0016a21c8432c8d52677.pngimage.png.4f75f9a9c358c1f2b487a0a0798941ab.pngimage.png.1b9fd2c57d3920b5dddce8c8e6f3778d.png

You guys have very powerful computers.

I can't push through end game (i've never opened the tear) because by the time I've tamed my 3rd asteroid, my fps drops to a slideshow ç_ç

3 minutes ago, Isidoro said:

You guys have very powerful computers.

I can't push through end game (i've never opened the tear) because by the time I've tamed my 3rd asteroid, my fps drops to a slideshow ç_ç

I currently have what some have called a dinosaur (4770K,  16GBDDR3) that was a hand-me-down from a friend. It's been chugging along with a large vanilla game file that's growing by the cycle (6k+ cycles). It already has a regolith melter and well, a very mini petro boiler and perhaps not too long into the future a very mini sour gas boiler to accompany it.

There are occasional hitches here and there but it's playable. Don't know if you're using a laptop, though.

I don't know if the reporting aspect of the game is what's growing save file, and growing and...

1 hour ago, babba said:

Oh really? I thought this fit more.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, JRup said:

I currently have what some have called a dinosaur (4770K,  16GBDDR3) that was a hand-me-down from a friend. It's been chugging along with a large vanilla game file that's growing by the cycle (6k+ cycles). It already has a regolith melter and well, a very mini petro boiler and perhaps not too long into the future a very mini sour gas boiler to accompany it.

There are occasional hitches here and there but it's playable. Don't know if you're using a laptop, though.

My rig is more performant (at least on paper). perhaps I'm doing something wrong though. 

Also I'm afraid that bigger maps (vanilla style) perform way better than the DLC ones, especially the latest ones, which I know it sounds like counter-intuitive but I'm experiencing way more hiccups with the latters.

10 minutes ago, JRup said:

I don't know if the reporting aspect of the game is what's growing save file, and growing and...

Oh really? I thought this fit more.

Reveal hidden contents

i to have also ddr3 i totally skipped the ddr4 race, it can be that i buy ddr5 system when prices start drop

problem is if you have ssd allot memory and soo on , your ddr3 pc not works bad at all , that is one reason why i still not buy ddr4 pc

On 11/2/2021 at 8:29 AM, Isidoro said:

Why would you need a 10kg/s boiler btw? 1kg NG feed 11 generators which means  8.8KW without counting the steam box's output to boot.

I sometimes wonder on what you ppl spend all this energy on. In my most power hungry station I top 30KW with everything turned on at the same time (which is kinda hard to achieve anyways) o.o' 

Some people actually do use that kind of energy. And if you keep the natural gas liquid, you can even export that power to other colonies through the transporter or even solidify it and ship it to other colonies. Have lots of power changes the dynamics of the game considerably. 

Additionally once you spend the time and effort to build it once, you can power your colony(s) for pretty much the whole game. You don't have to build it again, and not very often even if you do. It would be an absolute nightmare if I had to build dozens of 1kg boilers. It's not like petroleum where the counterflow design is relatively simple. Handling gas flows, liquid changes and purging the system of foreign gas is a mini-game all its own. I don't want to do it 10 times over again.

Also the 10kg/s oil boiling standard is to let us compare different designs. There have been lots of designs posted from the very tiny at 500g/s to weird numbers like 7.66kg/s. How do we compare the build quality of a 1kg/s design versus a 2.5kg/s design? Often when you examine why they are designed that way, you find scaling problems or simulation quirks that make higher operation unstable. So one might be more stable than the other, or be less reliable under certain situations. 

While those designs are still cool and i love to see them, we want a powerful reliable design. If your design operates close to the limit, but a hiccup occurs that causes it go unstable, then you could be spending a few cycles without power as your dupes frantically try to cut power usage elsewhere or repair the error that made the boiler fail. Most of us like to build more redundancy, not less, so we naturally gravitate toward the highest capacity and most reliable design.

Also if you have a 10kg/s boiler, you automatically have a 1kg/s boiler or a 5kg/s boiler, you can easily scale your energy needs as your colony progresses.

additionally, most designs coincidentally uses a single thermium aquatuner with supercoolant for the heating section. Thermium is extremely hard to come by so the less used the better. if the game physics required 2 such aquatuners a lot fewer of us would try and build it. It's not fun hunting down that kind of thermium early on. 

Granted, magma based boilers get around that issue, but the standard sort of stuck for comparison.

The absolutely biggest reason 10kg/s was selected is because it's the maximum transfer rate of a single liquid pipe and so provides a convenient standard. And through diligent exploration, obtaining 10kg/s worth of oil isn't too hard. if the pipes only carried 5kg/s, or 20kg/s, i think we'd use that that as our standard. 

So most boiler designs are 10kg/s, its an easy standard to use to compare different boilers like magma versus aquatuner, it's a logical standard based on maximum pipe size for oil, it's a pragmatic standard as most colonies can use that sort of power or simply run at a lower rate, and it's a fun standard because most of the time a single thermium aquatuner with super coolant can run it. 

7 hours ago, Isidoro said:

My rig is more performant (at least on paper). perhaps I'm doing something wrong though. 

Also I'm afraid that bigger maps (vanilla style) perform way better than the DLC ones, especially the latest ones, which I know it sounds like counter-intuitive but I'm experiencing way more hiccups with the latters.

What is your cpu my friend ? :p ...If you dont mind sharing.

I am about to setup my ONI system in my new home, can`t wait to play again :afro:

@JRup That instantly brought back memories playing Payday, cooking in the basement with other players. ONi multiplayer would be great :angel: Then we all could build sour gas boilers together :couple_inlove:

image.png.624207cadef18e7f5550af1c498791e3.pngimage.png.95308e2cc52128747c9fba3f1095196c.png ONi multiplayer - In the "Rigs on sour gas rugs" DLC2

image.png.5302037a12faa62503b8f4874706ce2a.png  wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_gas

image.png.b361af75082d91694da4e01340796c92.png If we could build prefab round boiler tanks, that would be nice :p

On 11/18/2021 at 11:58 PM, babba said:

What is your cpu my friend ? :p ...If you dont mind sharing.

I am about to setup my ONI system in my new home, can`t wait to play again :afro:

@JRup That instantly brought back memories playing Payday, cooking in the basement with other players. ONi multiplayer would be great :angel: Then we all could build sour gas boilers together :couple_inlove:

image.png.624207cadef18e7f5550af1c498791e3.pngimage.png.95308e2cc52128747c9fba3f1095196c.png ONi multiplayer - In the "Rigs on sour gas rugs" DLC2

image.png.5302037a12faa62503b8f4874706ce2a.png  wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_gas

image.png.b361af75082d91694da4e01340796c92.png If we could build prefab round boiler tanks, that would be nice :p

I have a I7-7700k 4.20GHz 32GB DDR4 and a 1070.
I might have too many mods or too much stuff going on in background perhaps, that's probably why my end-game bases all choke eventually 

46 minutes ago, Isidoro said:

I have a I7-7700k 4.20GHz 32GB DDR4 and a 1070.
I might have too many mods or too much stuff going on in background perhaps, that's probably why my end-game bases all choke eventually 

this game not have limit, at some-point it starts drop performance one or another way. difference is that better pc can have more stuff at game

you guys seem hung up on 90kw of power but the main thing to me is the pwater you get back.  3 oil wells, 10kg/s is 0.75kg/s pwater vs the sour gas / nat gas way giving back about 2kg/s.  a difference of about 1.25kg/s pwater can be important if you dont have many water geysers

On 11/22/2021 at 6:20 PM, zach123b said:

you guys seem hung up on 90kw of power but the main thing to me is the pwater you get back.  3 oil wells, 10kg/s is 0.75kg/s pwater vs the sour gas / nat gas way giving back about 2kg/s.  a difference of about 1.25kg/s pwater can be important if you dont have many water geysers

I can't tell on vanilla maps but on DLC maps you are literally drowned in water. The least water I've found is on the flipped asteroid where you have no vents but 2 average sized ice biomes, which is meant to be challenging anyways (and honestly i find it even harder than rad asteroid which is placed as very least in queue). In all the other asteroids life is pretty comfy as of the latest patch (buff & shine).

Archived