What is Splumonkey behavior?

A friend and I have been experimenting around with Splumonkeys in an attempt to recover some items he previously had stolen by them. The wiki is pretty vague and says 

Like many other mobs, if one Splumonkey is attacked, all nearby Splumonkeys will become aggressive toward the attacker.

In our experience, only some of the Splumonkeys seem to aggro when you attack one, and this only happens sometimes. Does anyone know the exact mechanics behind this? Is it all Splumonkeys within a certain range that help defend their brethren? Is it only Splumonkeys that share a pod that will aggro on an attack of one of their podmates? How far or near do Splumonkeys need to be to help their attacked friend?

Like many other mobs, if one Splumonkey is attacked, all nearby Splumonkeys will become aggressive toward the attacker.

Well, at least you got one question answered.

Iirc the affected range is not as far as we think it is, and the aggro radius is more like the radius from the player rather than the radius from the hit splumonkey (this also applies to frogs / beefalos / pengulls).

3 hours ago, Omninano said:

and this only happens sometimes.

From what I know, the aggro from splumonkeys are buggy. I saw people getting their faces mass-flung with poop when all they did are pick lichen off the ground. I also saw people getting rid of them monkeys one at a time and all the other monkeys won't even bother to avenge their kin (but will still cannibalize their brethren). I personally just burn their homes and let spiders eat them alive.

14 minutes ago, Omninano said:

Well this is good to know, I guess. I suppose it will remain more of a mystery radius for what will aggro them.

I would just burn the monkey huts down, but I don't want to risk burning my friend's stuff as well :wilson_laugh:

You can try walling the huts in. I don't remember if shadow splumonkeys would attack them, but I don't think normal splumonkeys would.

Also you can hammer the huts if you are evil and hate the innocent monkeys.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

You can try walling the huts in. I don't remember if shadow splumonkeys would attack them, but I don't think normal splumonkeys would.

Also you can hammer the huts if you are evil and hate the innocent monkeys.

Both shadow and normal splumonkeys wouldn't break fences. I recalled someone mentioning that walls are breakable from earthquakes but I never tested the theory. I made fences just to be safe, though I noticed that a couple of splumonkeys will sometimes glitch out of the fences (mostly offscreen) if placed less than 2 tiles from the side of the hut.

It's weird i noticed same thing where some of them just don't attack you.

Like recently when i was spelunking one of the Splumonkeys tried to steal stuff from my Hutch while his "buddies" were watching. 

I smacked him in the face with Alarming Clock and rest of them just retreated to their huts.

They didn't aggro on me.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:44 PM, ALCRD said:

It's weird i noticed same thing where some of them just don't attack you.

Like recently when i was spelunking one of the Splumonkeys tried to steal stuff from my Hutch while his "buddies" were watching. 

I smacked him in the face with Alarming Clock and rest of them just retreated to their huts.

They didn't aggro on me.

They flee when you kill few of them in their nonfueled form. Is actually the best way to keep safe your stuff near monekys. Also, when they flee, they drop every items they were holding in their "inventory"

Smack then until they know who rules

Btw, i ALWAYS bring an ice staff with me in the right moment i reach the wilds. Is very useful to despatch monkeys quickly and crowd control agaisnt bishops

What is their behavior? Watch you die to the claws of eternal doom and then, in front of your dead very eyes, shove your gems up their... something, run off with your moggles until they desolve, eat through a stack of Unagi and then throw the diarrhea they got from it at you, once you come back. They are the DST version of hayfever and dry season combined, they are the embodiment of pain, lag and even more lag and they are probably above Charlie, for they have truly mastered the art of destroying existances with literal poop.

You might not have guessed, but I don't like them too much.

Archived