A tweak to Wortox during the Ancient Fuelweaver fight

Today I fought AF as Wortox and was reminded about how annoying the fight as him is. Each Woven shadow the fuelweaver spawns drops 1 soul, and since ~20 are spawned at a time, this means you'll constantly be overloading on souls, and since he gets 50% of the stats from food, this makes sanity management very difficult, increased further by the lack of an option to mass drop souls. I can see 2 solutions to this problem:

1. Make souls a 10%-25% drop chance from woven shadows

2. Add a way to drop 5-10 souls at once

Edit: 3. Remove woven shadows soul drop entirely.

Side note: if any of you know of a way to make souls less of a problem during AF fight, please do tell. I would like to try playing Wortox into the late game on this world, but if fuelweaver is this annoying each time without houndius cheese, I'll likely swap characters.

19 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Today I fought AF as Wortox and was reminded about how annoying the fight as him is. Each Woven shadow the fuelweaver spawns drops 1 soul, and since ~20 are spawned at a time, this means you'll constantly be overloading on souls, and since he gets 50% of the stats from food, this makes sanity management very difficult, increased further by the lack of an option to mass drop souls. I can see 2 solutions to this problem:

Thank you! SOMETHING I WISH TO HAVE :cheerful:

8 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Odd, Could have sworn that Woven Shadows dropping souls was a bug that was fixed way back when.

Nope, this is still a thing, it is odd, they should've fixed it but ended up not

2 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Side note: if any of you know of a way to make souls less of a problem during AF fight, please do tell. I would like to try playing Wortox into the late game on this world, but if fuelweaver is this annoying each time without houndius cheese, I'll likely swap characters.

There are a bunch of methods depending on your situation. You can fill your inventory and hold souls in your cursor. From here, you can do two things. One, you can right click to instantly drop all your souls. Or two, you can keep it that way as you "collect" souls and they will instantly drop out. These methods have no required animation on your part, unlike regular dropping.

Alternatively, you could just be extremely generous with your soul usage, using soul hops to kite and jump around the arena and whatnot. It's quite fun in my experience, I use a combination of these :}

As was said before me, being generous with soul usage is a good idea. When I fight AF as Wortox, I use souls for invisibility frames instead of normal kiting, and when I do get overloaded, I just tank sanity damage. Bee Queen crown is very helpful in this fight, and Wortox specifically has advantage using it, since avoiding damage via invisibility frames leads to preserving armor durability, e.i. he doesn't need to switch to thulecite crown or kite normally to preserve durability, and dps remains to be nearly on par with tanking (higher than kiting dps). Without BQC you can soul hop each time at particular distance from FW to still be able to hit him, but at the same time far enough to avoid massive insanity aura (instead of -200 in the center of the aura experience around -30, but I'm not sure about exact numbers of the latter).

Alternatively, you can make FW follow you outside of arena center (where woven shadows spawn) and wait until majority of them dies and their souls vanish. Since soul hop doesn't drain sanity, Wortox specifically can dance with FW as much as he wants and minimize weather pain usage that way. As for sanity food, I would go with ice cream, jelly salad or soothing tea instead of commonly used cacti. Ice cream is so strong that even Walter can afford to tank, so my advice is to use that food in case you plan to end fight as soon as possible; in case you are afraid of ice cream spoiling, jelly salad is good alternative, but due to slow eating animation you will need to pay more attention to your sanity to avoid mind control; in case you are comfortable kiting FW and grouping up woven shadows - soothing tea is your best bet since it's only partially affected by Wortox's food value debuff.

If you don't mind to use mods, you can use "Wortox quick heal" which allows to release soul by pressing button. But what I and others wrote earlier works for unmodded game.

I would like wooven shadows to keep dropping souls since it's one of the few fights where soul usage is viable alternative (for solo or small group) compared to regular kiting/tanking and healing food (the other being shadow pieces with tier 3 bishop (soul hop) and bee queen tanking with 95% protection (20 souls are barely enough to substitute healing food/items) and that's it, but in case I'm wrong, I would like someone to enlighten me).

6 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Side note: if any of you know of a way to make souls less of a problem during AF fight, please do tell.

I haven't tried quick dropping during the fight but it should be possible (Klei added that feature in-game now).

Also, here's a fight I did as Wortox when I saw Jazzy did his one.

6 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Odd, Could have sworn that Woven Shadows dropping souls was a bug that was fixed way back when.

When you examine the Woven Shadows as Maxwell, he says its living nightmare fuel.

So FW is summoning life and eats them to refuel his own. Just when the game couldn't get dark enough.

7 hours ago, lakhnish said:

When you examine the Woven Shadows as Maxwell, he says its living nightmare fuel.

So FW is summoning life and eats them to refuel his own. Just when the game couldn't get dark enough.

Soooo it make sense in the lore and ambience of Dst that Woven Shadows leave souls? Not only that, FW is summoning life but what life? Because they seems to have bones and such, are those perhaps the Ancients? Like, he's eating the last remnants of his citizens to give one last time power and hope to stop them and the survivors (that's why the phrase "give me once last time your power")? 

Archived