Lost my longest running world :(

I'm still learning the ropes of this game with my little brother and we just lost our world (last I checked, day 285) in probably the most unsatisfying way yet. It wasn't from a weak mob or hunger or anything we could control. There was an earthquake just now, so we both jumped out of our chairs without closing the world and ran out with our family. Our world was lost but fortunately, everyone was safe. Still a bit spooked, but can I get an f for our world?

That is unfortunate but that is a very long time, good job! Since you're still learning the ropes, I suggest Endless mode as that can help make the game less punishing while you're still learning (for example, the Ruins are a really good step but you're gonna die a lot if you don't know how to combat it). 

1 minute ago, SomebodyRandom said:

That is unfortunate but that is a very long time, good job! Since you're still learning the ropes, I suggest Endless mode as that can help make the game less punishing while you're still learning (for example, the Ruins are a really good step but you're gonna die a lot if you don't know how to combat it). 

We actually just finished exploring one of the ruins and made it back home before we died. Also I will definitely try out Endless mode.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I give you ShopCat, my personal choosen emote for the highest honor forum reaction there is to hand out, you get ShopCat for being safe & no one being hurt, I’m sorry you lost your world though, here’s to speedy recovery in a new one Cheers! :wilson_flower:

Thank you, I will guard your ShopCat with my life!

I play on Endless mode anytime I play with my significantly less skilled friends or whenever I want to experience new content updates without the punishment of death.

There are 3 Modes in the game each one has a few differences but I’ll try to keep this short.

Survival- Resources Respawn slower, when you die you become a ghost, dead players constantly drain sanity of all living players until they leave or get revived. When all players become ghost a countdown timer starts until the world is deleted for good.

Endless- Resources Respawn faster, Ghost players do not drain sanity on living players & can revive themselves infinitely by haunting the portal you spawn in from, if all die no countdown timer starts.

Wilderness- Ghosts are disabled completely here, instead when you die you go back to the character selection screen to pick a character and Respawn into the same world again somewhere randomly. 

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I play on Endless mode anytime I play with my significantly less skilled friends or whenever I want to experience new content updates without the punishment of death.

There are 3 Modes in the game each one has a few differences but I’ll try to keep this short.

Survival- Resources Respawn slower, when you die you become a ghost, dead players constantly drain sanity of all living players until they leave or get revived. When all players become ghost a countdown timer starts until the world is deleted for good.

Endless- Resources Respawn faster, Ghost players do not drain sanity on living players & can revive themselves infinitely by haunting the portal you spawn in from, if all die no countdown timer starts.

Wilderness- Ghosts are disabled completely here, instead when you die you go back to the character selection screen to pick a character and Respawn into the same world again somewhere randomly. 

Thanks for the little guide! I'll probably check out endless for our next world :D

1 hour ago, Alkimia said:

We actually just finished exploring one of the ruins and made it back home before we died. Also I will definitely try out Endless mode.

That's the conundrum. Play Endless and you won't lose your world upon a death timer but without the risk. Or play Survival with enough risk to keep you on your toes but with the possibility of losing everything even after having the world for 1000+ days. Sorry to hear that, it's rough losing something you dedicated a lot of time to.

1 hour ago, BezKa said:

You can also make back up of your world. That way you won't lose everything when real life gets in the way

How do you back up your world? I know you can there's a rollback feature, which I was going to use for my world but by the time I got back to my computer, both of us died and were in a new world so we couldn't rollback.

Just now, Alkimia said:

How do you back up your world? I know you can there's a rollback feature, which I was going to use for my world but by the time I got back to my computer, both of us died and were in a new world so we couldn't rollback.

You need to find your game files, and then copy your world cluster into some safe place- if you lose your world, you can then use the old copy to replace the regenerated world. 

You can find these files if you go to the Klei folder on your PC, DoNotStarveTogether, a folder with a bunch of numbers, and then the cluster file that corresponds to the world number (you can check it by hovering over the folder icon in host game menu). Just copy that folder, and paste it somewhere you'll remember. If something happens to your world, replace the folder in the bunch of numbers folder with the one you copied. It will essentially rollback the entire thing to the state when you first backed it up, so remember to do it every now and then, to have more up to date saves. 

Maybe someone here can explain better, if my explanation was too confusing

1 minute ago, BezKa said:

You need to find your game files, and then copy your world cluster into some safe place- if you lose your world, you can then use the old copy to replace the regenerated world. 

You can find these files if you go to the Klei folder on your PC, DoNotStarveTogether, a folder with a bunch of numbers, and then the cluster file that corresponds to the world number (you can check it by hovering over the folder icon in host game menu). Just copy that folder, and paste it somewhere you'll remember. If something happens to your world, replace the folder in the bunch of numbers folder with the one you copied. It will essentially rollback the entire thing to the state when you first backed it up, so remember to do it every now and then, to have more up to date saves. 

Maybe someone here can explain better, if my explanation was too confusing

I think I get it, thanks!

20 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I give you ShopCat, my personal choosen emote for the highest honor forum reaction there is to hand out, you get ShopCat

As far as I know, most people use shopcat as a way to show their disapproval, dislike, disgust, or other negative reaction. It's not considered a high honor by most.

On the topic of your world, I'd start making backups of your worlds.

8E8946B5-6726-4629-ABC5-7ED7341582EE.thumb.jpeg.7bdff77cb0c398114e6069def1af67c0.jpeg

ShopCat is in great disagreement of your assessment of what you perceive her emotes intended use to be.

(Seriously I’ve had several actual Klei Devs respond to my posts with ShopCat so I would appreciate it if you guys would stop trying to turn it into something negative.)

Anyway OP: Sorry once again for your lost world, highly recommend Endless Mode next time so even if the both of you do die due to real world emergency you can just go haunt the portal and Respawn- 

I do provide a word of caution here though- Just because you guys are both dead does NOT mean Deerclops or Bearger stops destroying your base so do keep that in mind you may Respawn to still find utter wreckage.

12 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Note to self : Remember to kill or feed the Antlion ASAP as he can transcend space and time and cause quakes in real life too.

I never kill antlion, like, there's no point, i'm ALWAYS in the caves in summer. Her special cave-ins make it easy for some very simple to gather rocks

On 9/8/2021 at 7:52 PM, ShadowQueen said:

I never kill antlion, like, there's no point, i'm ALWAYS in the caves in summer. Her special cave-ins make it easy for some very simple to gather rocks

That's why we were in the caves actually. We decided to spend our summer below ground to avoid the antlion's tremors. Though, up to that point we spent most of our summers out at sea, we wanted to do something different.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, Mike23Ua said:

8E8946B5-6726-4629-ABC5-7ED7341582EE.thumb.jpeg.7bdff77cb0c398114e6069def1af67c0.jpeg

ShopCat is in great disagreement of your assessment of what you perceive her emotes intended use to be.

(Seriously I’ve had several actual Klei Devs respond to my posts with ShopCat so I would appreciate it if you guys would stop trying to turn it into something negative.)

Anyway OP: Sorry once again for your lost world, highly recommend Endless Mode next time so even if the both of you do die due to real world emergency you can just go haunt the portal and Respawn- 

I do provide a word of caution here though- Just because you guys are both dead does NOT mean Deerclops or Bearger stops destroying your base so do keep that in mind you may Respawn to still find utter wreckage.

Oh trust me, I know dying doesn't stop Deerclops or Bearger. It's only happened to me twice, but I think that's enough to realize those two behemoths stop at nothing to ruin your day lol

Archived