Compact high yield Pinchas

Hello dupes and dupettes,

as you may already know from experience, having grubgrub tended pincha pepperplants can prove difficult. Since grubgrubs can only tend plants in an adjacent tile and not on the tile they are standing on, one could resort to an "every other tile" pattern.

PinchaGrub1.thumb.jpg.af616bdfd9ef2855b956e44247746fe7.jpg

However, by embracing the dark side and taking advantage of the uncanny abilities of pips, we can plant 5 pinchas in a row with just one dead spot in between, dramatically boosting space efficiency!

PinchaDoors.thumb.jpg.23b1bdb3831a700383d419ae9ddb6390.jpg

This room that could accommodate 10 pinchas with the previous pattern is now a 16 plant strong greenhouse. We lose the lights, but oh well, it's the dark side. We let pips plant through doors, then fill in the rest. They all count as being in the room and are accessible by dupes, since only the first tile of the plant from the base matters for harvesting and micronutient subministration purposes.

Partial hiding of plants behind doors also allows for much bigger greenhouses, due to those covered tiles.. as useless as it might be!

Peace

Havok

2 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Interesting.

He/she means the pneumatic doors 2 tiles below the pinchas i guess. Pinchas 3 tiles tall. So either they cant be planted because something is in the way. Or the door cant be placed, because the plant is in the way.

I consider pips doing it a bug.

Pips have always planted seeds that would end up entombed. Just look at the mess that they can do in arboria.

Fits with their "pesky" nature. I'm gonna plop half a tree here. Why? Because I'm a pip and I wanna annoy you! Did you wanna build something right here? Too bad, gotta tear that thing down first. By the way, there's half a tree growing through the ladder you were building. And oh look, Otto is suffocating up there! So cute :wilson_evil:

I guess this happens because pips only check if the base tile of the potential plant is not occupied. If that tile is blocked, they won't plant. Else, if all conditions are met, it's free game. They check if the tile below (or above, in the case of hanging plants) meets their silly requirements, then they spawn the plant on the tile they are in, if it's available. They don't even have to face the ground/farm tile, they just have to be in the plant's base tile. And poof, the magic happens!

I don't think this is a bug, neither that it needs a "fix" :wilson_worried::wilson_cry: I consider it "clever use of game mechanics", definitely not gamebreaking and makes another mechanic (grubgrub tending) better. And it takes quite some time to set up. And I feel rewarded for going through the hassle. Also it allows for more aestethically pleasing builds, instead of the same boring pattern.

I mean, this is not drip cooling, infinite radbolt generation or self refueling rockets. It's just a neat thing that usually annoys you in a fun way, turned to your advantage instead. And you gain a whopping... couple tiles of space :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, 6Havok9 said:

don't think this is a bug, neither that it needs a "fix" :wilson_worried::wilson_cry: I consider it "clever use of game mechanics", definitely not gamebreaking and makes another mechanic (grubgrub tending) better. And it takes quite some time to set up. And I feel rewarded for going through the hassle. Also it allows for more aestethically pleasing builds, instead of the same boring pattern.

I mean, this is not drip cooling, infinite radbolt generation or self refueling rockets. It's just a neat thing that usually annoys you in a fun way, turned to your advantage instead. And you gain a whopping... couple tiles of space :rolleyes:

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but even if it was, I would definitely not be the most shocking exploit I have seen around. As you have demonstrated, you can obtain the same result without doing it, so the only thing you really gain is saving up some space. 

3 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

can you not do sweetles as well?

Grubgrubs are better at tending :) 

Sweetles and grubgrubs can't tend the same plant. If a sweetle tends a plant using their 5% boost, a grubgrub can't overwrite that to give their 50% grubgrub rub boost.

But sweetles have the same reach of you prefer to use them.

2 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

I consider pips doing it a bug.

*She thinks Havok explained the mechanics of pips perfectly: it is just their pesky nature... it is not a bug. :lol:

Archived