Terrible performance in late game and how to prioritize projects and mitigate issues

On 8/31/2021 at 7:40 AM, cpy said:

Unity is ****. Anyone making complex physics simulation game in unity is just crazy.

Unity in my experience is designed for different types of games in mind. ONI would work best with custom in house engine, but it would cost more.

Most of the complex simulation is not in unity/C#, but native binaries. "Unity BAD" is a meme anyway.

5 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

So, what you are saying is just: The devs are incompetent coders, and you are the only programmer-god out there? Thats bold man...

If i where you, i would run now.

i not say that. that's your worlds atm

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Most of the complex simulation is not in unity/C#, but native binaries. "Unity BAD" is a meme anyway.

usually very high performance stuff are doing directly inside asm. no C#, C, C++ can beat that.

11 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

i not say that. that's your worlds atm

usually very high performance stuff are doing directly inside asm. no C#, C, C++ can beat that.

C  and C++ are pretty much almost at asm performance anyways. In talented hands even java is fast.

7 minutes ago, cpy said:

C  and C++ are pretty much almost at asm performance anyways. In talented hands even java is fast.

yes its close because  this days compilers are very good and probaply goes even better at future. but still in asm you have power to choose what you want use in code and what not. you cant todo that directly inside C without involve the asm

1 hour ago, gabberworld said:

"High performance stuff should be in asm" is another meme. Apart from certain very specific applications, like kernel or math software, or very mature and optimized software, doing higher level optimization will pretty much always give better results per man hour spent.

Idea of using inline assembly in a high level, multi-platform application like ONI is, at best, ignorant.

38 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

"High performance stuff should be in asm" is another meme. Apart from certain very specific applications, like kernel or math software, or very mature and optimized software, doing higher level optimization will pretty much always give better results per man hour spent.

Idea of using inline assembly in a high level, multi-platform application like ONI is, at best, ignorant.

code self still runs in asm by default for any cpu only thing is compilers todo that for developers

asm used also for make custom made library's for speed up the search from memory. but as spy tell already C and C++ can todo allot already by self as well

question is tho also what compiler they use for make SimDLL.dll

intel one may give different results than visual studio one

11 hours ago, cpy said:

Sadly it is often true. I've seen some god tier magicians coders that did some insane mod coding for some games, but now they do who knows what and work who knows where.

I think coder who can optimize the crap out of things will be hired anywhere. Then again if you can make your code run perfectly that does not mean your game will be good and vice versa. Only if those two things combine you get factorio. :D

The main problem with code optimisations ist, you cant rely on them to work perfect on all plattforms equaly. Yeah, you can tune the crap out of some code to run perfect on THIS machine, or THAT system. Install it on another one, and it crashes.

Game devs are bound to "one code runs everywhere". Otherwise, they will never get something done.

And yes, that also means, sometimes doing something knowingly bad style, because when you do it the good way, it causes problems, and no one can every tell you why.

But thats something, most of coders will only comprehent, when they are faced with the backslash of his/her software causing problems on thousands of machines. As long as the userbase is very small, they do not even accept, this problem even may exist.

The game clearly has performance issues that are still present after years and years of development. I'm not in any way a coding/game making expert, but imo Klei should focus more on playability instead of adding tons of content further destabilising everything. I want to play ONI, but can't, because I know that lag will ruin my experience. Should be ok on copium though.

Archived