[Game Update] - Public Testing 475803

• Developer

Hi folks!

Today we’ve got a small patch to the Public Testing branch. We’ve done some animation polish on this update’s new buildings and fixed a handful of bugs. Full notes listed below.

As always, if you'd like to try the Public Testing branch you can follow the instructions listed here.

• Changes & Improvements
    • Simplified Chinese localization
    • Spaced Out! Only
      • Added tooltips to cluster map hexes.
      • Hooked up Ladder Bed interruption animation
      • Trailblazer Lander now visible on starmap during deploy/landing
  • Fixes
    • Fixed stress tooltip crash on load affecting some players
    • Removed test code causing the research screen to be slow to open
    • Base Game Only
      • Removed duplicate Gantry entry from the research screen 
    • Spaced Out! Only
      • Ladder Beds require the bottom most bed to have a foundation.
      • Fixed an issue where some Duplicants would not interrupt sleep on a Ladder Bed
      • Duplicants without the Rocketry skill can no longer use the Rocket Control Station
      • Duplicants do not use the Rocket Control Station while the rocket is not travelling
      • Buildings now use the correct colour for unfiltered inputs and outputs.
      • Fixed issue causing some artifact descriptions to display incorrectly in the Artifact Analysis Station
      • Fixed issue causing invalid Rail Gun Payload name
      • Synced escape pod landing animation
      • Liquid Pump no longer duplicates Nuclear Waste
      • Fixed a bug where the input/ output ports in rocket interiors would sometimes become jammed when they should not be.

View full update

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 1

Finally, no more having to disable the control station so my dupe can actually be productive when the rocket's just sitting there.

The two remaining QoL rocketry issues are Scout Rovers (at least make them deconstructible and able to slowly dig hard materials) and the Cartographic Module (it's really stupidly slow and useless compared to an in-rocket telescope).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nebbie said:

the Cartographic Module (it's really stupidly slow and useless compared to an in-rocket telescope).

have you considered just, using both at the same time? The cartographic module would enable rockets to fly into partially discovered areas, making the telescope reveal a lot more in one trip. One doesn't have to outrank the other.

5 hours ago, Lbphero said:

have you considered just, using both at the same time? The cartographic module would enable rockets to fly into partially discovered areas, making the telescope reveal a lot more in one trip. One doesn't have to outrank the other.

It takes up a lot of rocket height, makes the rocket slower due to its burden, and only reveals tiles that you fly right into, which at that slow speed...the telescope will probably have already revealed. Also, at the end of a rocket's range (when it can still make it back), the telescope can reveal more tiles...and the cartographic module can't.
I do not want that on my rockets.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JarrettM said:
  • Duplicants without the Rocketry skill can no longer use the Rocket Control Station

Is the Rocketry skill actually speeding the trips up, though? I can't remember if this was fixed already, but last time I tested it it makes absolutely 0 difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Is the Rocketry skill actually speeding the trips up, though? I can't remember if this was fixed already, but last time I tested it it makes absolutely 0 difference.

it speeds up the rocket control station jiggling-the-cursor-so-the-screensaver-doesnt-come-on chore

45 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

It takes up a lot of rocket height,

Consider this, my friend. With this incoming update, One may be able to save an awful lot of space on the rocket height, with the new rocket ports. For most missions, you'd only really be wanting to have a gas cargo tank, if you don't do something like oxylite instead. I think that'd leave plenty of room for 1 cartography module and a handful of solar panels on the more sea-worthy engines.

46 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

makes the rocket slower due to its burden, and only reveals tiles that you fly right into, which at that slow speed...the telescope will probably have already revealed.

The rocket being slower is a fair point. Though, I'm not sure how much slower. I think a small petro or radbolt engine would be decently fast still, right? Even if the cartography module by itself would make the rocket itself slow enough to the point where it'd be faster to just click on the tiles as they become uncovered, I would still strongly consider the cartography module just for the convenience of not having to do that, and just setting course for some place in partially uncovered territory.

50 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Also, at the end of a rocket's range (when it can still make it back), the telescope can reveal more tiles...and the cartographic module can't.

Again, you do not need to, and perhaps Shouldn't use them seperately. Both can be used in conjunction, just like how I stated above.

2 hours ago, Lbphero said:

Consider this, my friend. With this incoming update, One may be able to save an awful lot of space on the rocket height, with the new rocket ports. For most missions, you'd only really be wanting to have a gas cargo tank, if you don't do something like oxylite instead. I think that'd leave plenty of room for 1 cartography module and a handful of solar panels on the more sea-worthy engines.

Yes, it can be done. But it doesn't change the fact that the module is sub-optimal solution. With new cool addition to the rocketry, we can save a lot of space from bathroom and bedroom to put additional telescope and make the telescope solution 2-times better

7 hours ago, pether said:

With new cool addition to the rocketry, we can save a lot of space from bathroom and bedroom to put additional telescope and make the telescope solution 2-times better

If thats the case, then the cartography module fills in the role of an entire duplicant and is VERY considerable, especially when used in tandem with the existing modifications to the spacefarer module to accomodate for more than one telescope, on high speed rockets.

7 hours ago, pether said:

But it doesn't change the fact that the module is sub-optimal solution.

i am aware that ONI is a game that is about finding efficient solutions to problems but i feel like this isn't a great attitude to have towards things like this when you're specifically being given options to go about things, each with their own upsides and downsides.

Edited by Lbphero
forgot i wasnt allowed to swear :p

2 hours ago, Lbphero said:

i am aware that ONI is a game that is about finding efficient solutions to problems but i feel like this isn't a great attitude to have towards things like this when you're specifically being given options to go about things, each with their own upsides and downsides.

sure, I love options. I just want all options to be valid and comparable. If the rocket module had the same radius as the telescope, both options would be OK - you had a choice between paying with rocket height or room space. But when one option reveals like 30 hexes and the other just 1, it isn't really 2 options - it's only one and additional gimmick.

If the module radius increased by 1 it would be literaly 6 times better and it still would be worse than the telescope. That's how bad it is :( I just want it to be better...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pether said:

If the rocket module had the same radius as the telescope, both options would be OK - you had a choice between paying with rocket height or room space. But when one option reveals like 30 hexes and the other just 1, it isn't really 2 options - it's only one and additional gimmick.

This is because the two machines do different things, even if they technically share some functionality.

Let me put it this way. The options are not "have only telescope" or "have only cartography module", they are "have telescope and more module space for solar panels or simply speed", or "have telescope and cartographic module to enhance the amount of telescoping you can do".

It would be nice if the cartographic module did not take up as much space as it does on the rocket, but as it stands, that doesn't destroy its usability.

Asking the cartography module to reveal in the same radius as the telescope feels like it is missing the point of the device and trying to make an AQST but with only the crude oil used to enhance heat transfer unto the aquatuner.

Edited by Lbphero

16 hours ago, Lbphero said:

My rockets relied on outhouses with stored dirt, and thus will not be any shorter due to recent updates.

5 hours ago, Lbphero said:

If thats the case, then the cartography module fills in the role of an entire duplicant and is VERY considerable, especially when used in tandem with the existing modifications to the spacefarer module to accomodate for more than one telescope, on high speed rockets.

It does not fill the role of the duplicant, which is the issue. The cartographic module reveals only the tile the rocket is on, while a duplicant on a telescope reveals tiles in a radius of 3. To ever send out a rocket with only a cartographic module is a severe waste of time unless you literally already know where everything is (and thus just need to carve a path out).
As to using them in tandem, I really think you are underestimating how ridiculous duplicants can be at telescope usage. You see, part of the issue here is the cartographic module only starts doing anything once you come adjacent to an unrevealed tile (and even then it's just a ? until you go to it unless it's an asteroid), but in my experience, I don't think I've ever even had a rocket come up adjacent to unrevealed tiles, because a duplicant on a telescope will have revealed them already. While some faster engines (I tend not to use hydrogen or large petrol) would enable reaching undiscovered space, the slowdown from a cartographic module would likely still be to where it only reveals a tile or two on the whole exploratory journey.
Spending 5 rocket height on something that will probably only do anything at all with a hydrogen or large petroleum engine, but even then just accomplish what a dupe would do in a tenth of a cycle, is patently absurd.

Edited by Nebbie

4 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

My rockets relied on outhouses with stored dirt, and thus will not be any shorter due to recent updates.

so unless you are doing co2 or sucrose rockets, surely, you will have more than enough space to support a cartographic module, no worse for the wear.

6 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

As to using them in tandem, I really think you are underestimating how ridiculous duplicants can be at telescope usage. You see, part of the issue here is the cartographic module only starts doing anything once you come adjacent to an unrevealed tile (and even then it's just a ? until you go to it unless it's an asteroid), but in my experience, I don't think I've ever even had a rocket come up adjacent to unrevealed tiles, because a duplicant on a telescope will have revealed them already. While some faster engines (I tend not to use hydrogen or large petrol) would enable reaching undiscovered space,

I can assure you, with certainty, that i am not underestimating the productivity of a duplicant with decent scientific skill on a telescope, driving a rocket. The duplicant is more than capable of not quite revealing the tile right in front of it before it reaches it, in a lot angles, since duplicants will analyze in a specific rotation, will take frequent breaks to use the rocket control station, or eat/sleep/do whatever. Even if you choose such an angle and a slow enough rocket that the duplicant is capable of doing this, you would still need to redirect the rocket twice in order to perform the same task as one would autonomously with the cartographic module. As much as it would perhaps paint me in a lazy light, I would choose this small amount of automation over having to monitor the rocket myself Any day of the week.

Rockets are still really unbalanced, there is almost no real need to use a cartographic module lets be real. Telling to use "both" is like telling to use a woodburner together with a Petrol Generator... makes no sense. 

The new rocket construction (ladderbed and Toilet) seems over the top, I don't really see them as needed unless they plan to limit the use of other buildings inside the rockets. 

Rockets still have a large way to grow and it is nice. I feel the same with radiation, it can expand a lot more. We are in a testing branch so give them feedback so they can improve.