Water-powered infinite research rocket

Since micro-managing rockets is fairly annoying I came up with a design that lets you keep the rocket in space for as long as you want. Load up the rocket with a massive amount of water and 20 tons of plastic, then replace the rocket's liquid tank with solar panels. You can replace the research station with a telescope by removing one of the plants, but on max difficulty each dupe needs 7.5 bristle blossoms to survive so some wild grubgrubs will be needed. Pixel packs made out of gold take care of the morale requirements. The hydrogen gets pumped into a tank and can be used to generate power for the base once the rocket lands.

rocket.png

Quite interesting. I do wonder, might loading it with sulfur and using grubfruit might be more efficient over pure bristle berries.

Or in that case, it just might be you'd use less water at the cost of sulfur. I could tweak the design for use on the non-sandstone start.

electrolizer will heat up the space; how do you deal with heat increase?

dups do not like uncooked food - it is decreasing morale.

perhaps, use bog bucket for polluted water dump. (or one thimble weed)

grubgrub will need at least one grubfruit otherwise it will lay a beatle egg

rocket control station - as I recall it was needed to take off and also it increases the rocket speed when a pilot is using it. You still can see the time to destination changes when the pilot uses it.

2 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

electrolizer will heat up the space; how do you deal with heat increase?

dups do not like uncooked food - it is decreasing morale.

perhaps, use bog bucket for polluted water dump. (or one thimble weed)

grubgrub will need at least one grubfruit otherwise it will lay a beatle egg

rocket control station - as I recall it was needed to take off and also it increases the rocket speed when a pilot is using it. You still can see the time to destination changes when the pilot uses it.

the heat isn't a problem as you can simply put cold water in the infinite storage.

the raw food isn't a problem because pixel packs spam gives +12 morale from the decor.

even the beatle will still make the plants grow slightly faster, and you can just have a bunch of wild ones in the rocket and hope that they randomly become grubgrubs.

the control station isn't needed to stay in space. if you use this design with a telescope then you will have to occasionally swap it out for a carbon skimmer.

Must say i don't like this design - i don't have problems with micromanaging rockets, my research is done while rockets are travelling with crew to colonize other planetoids. But don't get me wrong, I am not here to insult, it's just personal opinion, you certainly did nice job designing it.

There's one thing i am curious about - why to use battery module? Lets say you would switch one solar and battery module for small liquid tank. While all your appliances (if i am correct) use 260W when all of them works, with one dupe carbon skimmer is having lot of downtime. Since your clean water would be in tank, you wouldn't need storage inside and you could use space for smart battery (to even out power producing and consumption) and have another 2x2 for anything else (bed, another smart battery etc.). As you already should have infrastructure for pumping water inside interior, no more building would be required in your base (in comparison with your original design).

Rocket tweaking is one of my most favourite thing in DLC, just wanted to share my idea. But again, points to you for finding design you like...

one suggestion if you go this path.

You can use gulp fish to clean polluted water and reduce the temperature. It will reduce your farm but will add fish to the dup ration. 

I did set-up like that when it was possible to break the rocket walls. You obviously need to remove fish eggs from the pool to have reproduction going. 

From work inspired by you I am pretty sure in the same space you could use morbs for oxygen (in the bathroom), and ranch 4x hatches in the rest of the space. This should give which around 2700kcal / day. Would need to load up on lots of rock but could go for a few thousand cycles I am sure.  With standard difficulty could even have 2 dupes so one could be devoted entirely to science. 

If a classic start where you can get shove voles it is even easier and would probably look very much similar to my design without a beds (Infinite Dupes). Great stuff, I love the designs.

13 hours ago, Timotheeee1 said:

with the new stuff in the testing branch it is now possible to fit 11 plants! (or 10 with a telescope)

it seems the gas input port is bugged and doesn't vent out gasses yet, even though the liquid input port does, so it's not quite usable yet.

rocket2.png

inf research rocket v2.blueprint 4.85 kB · 0 downloads

How do you get thin toilet and thin hand sanitizer?

10 hours ago, Ceos said:

From work inspired by you I am pretty sure in the same space you could use morbs for oxygen (in the bathroom), and ranch 4x hatches in the rest of the space. This should give which around 2700kcal / day. Would need to load up on lots of rock but could go for a few thousand cycles I am sure.  With standard difficulty could even have 2 dupes so one could be devoted entirely to science. 

If a classic start where you can get shove voles it is even easier and would probably look very much similar to my design without a beds (Infinite Dupes). Great stuff, I love the designs.

Pacu are also great for dense sustainable food. I tried some similar a while back:

Archived