The missing potent of Knobbly Trees

There wasn't much I really wanted to talk about on that update, I'm really just fine about the content added which is going to be quite useful for different characters and overall brings alternative farming methods and little resources I find cute.

However there's one thing that feels (and looks 0.png.4bebc59df0e15db33c1b4af567753589.png) quite incomplete rn, the Knobbly Trees and Above-Average Tree Trunk. There's obviously a lot of thing that will be fixed and tweaked during the beta so we can only wish this update is going to give out nice extra feature during the development.

0.png.887eccf0923a53ce6fb00b2d04daa7b7.png

Before doing my part and say what I'm unsatisfied about, I just wanted to point out what's good about them, 2 things.

The first being they are SUPPOSED to be relocatable and regrow because of their big nuts (it's gonna be hard to remaining serious naming them like that) that are normally guaranteed to loot at full stage and even respawn from the biggest trunks of the biome, yet they don't seems to be looted or obtained in any way I've looked, I hope there will be a fix about this quite fast as they're just unusable in survival unless I missed something.

So unfinished part aside it means you'll have the ability to obtain them, plant them and even use the Tree Jam to get this result and have wonderful trees around your base :

0.thumb.png.a14a4c03db5c00e42417316a53aafdee.png

And that is the second neat part because they aren't only decorative but also provide shade which prevents wildfire, so we cannot say this whole tree idea is rushed, it's amazing.

But outside of that, something's missing, we've just got a new fruit but this one is really just a small grind to obtain to me given they'll be mostly used to grow just even more trees, there's no way to get figs outside of the giant trunks of the biome so I would only expect replanted ones get the ability to grow vines, even if the vines can only be over water.

I'd be glad to have a boat to row around to get figs (even if usually players would just make tons of boats for bridges lol), that would be simply nice and growing these trees would be less of a bigger deal than it needs to be, as anyway we need to go to its biome to renew the nuts.

To be fair it is a bit sad this tree only has one good ability at this current state, as cutting them for wood would be just a waste of efforts, as for the normal ones that need to get their stump removed a very unusual way, and the big trunks would be probably only profitable if their wood loot was tripled or something, a trip to the biome is required and there's rarely enough figs in the entire world to grow lots of these trees.

On top of that, I don't really expect players to take so much advantage of the fireproof base bonus as you'll need to make your base next to the shore or cross your fingers for nice water holes around there and there.

So... yeah, good stuff but all it needs to be a great new entry to the game meta is a few adjustments and perks, hoping the most of you are looking for such upgrades. Lemme know what you think.

5 minutes ago, ADM said:

The first being they are SUPPOSED to be relocatable and regrow because of their big nuts (it's gonna be hard to remaining serious naming them like that) that are normally guaranteed to loot at full stage and even respawn from the biggest trunks of the biome, yet they don't seems to be looted or obtained in any way I've looked, I hope there will be a fix about this quite fast as they're just unusable in survival unless I missed something.

I believe they drop from the tree when you ram into them with your boat, or when theyre struck with lightning. They do little "earthquakes" (treequakes?) when that happens.

14 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I believe they drop from the tree when you ram into them with your boat, or when theyre struck with lightning. They do little "earthquakes" (treequakes?) when that happens.

Oh alright, so I just did some further testing as the first time I tried I was only getting twigs, but it seems that they do drop nuts but in absolutely random places, like for real I got one in the void after it spawned :

0.thumb.png.7dc42e58841df395ecee737e7b595d47.png

1 minute ago, ADM said:

Oh alright, so I just did some further testing as the first time I tried I was only getting twigs, but it seems that they do drop nuts but in absolutely random places, like for real I got one in the void after it spawned :

0.thumb.png.7dc42e58841df395ecee737e7b595d47.png

Oh wow! That's very strange, I got the nuts normally, I guess you better report it then.

I was also hoping the above avarage trees would grow vines. Growing the nut into a normal tree in the waterlogged biome itself did make two new fig vines drop down. I only accidentally discovered this once and didnt test further. Has anyone else experienced this or was i imagining things? 

Also the first world i generated on the beta branch had a big lake in the middle of the Swamp biome which would be awesome for the knobbly trees. Has anyone else encountered stuff like this? Did world gen get changed? 

5 hours ago, Ohan said:

I only accidentally discovered this once and didnt test further. Has anyone else experienced this or was i imagining things? 

As far I tried, vines can respawn but only from the giant trunks (the big worldgen ones) if you hit them with your boat under the condition there is not enough vines around (burnt or just too few of them), so yeah it's always within the biome in any case it seems :(

5 hours ago, Ohan said:

Also the first world i generated on the beta branch had a big lake in the middle of the Swamp biome which would be awesome for the knobbly trees. Has anyone else encountered stuff like this? Did world gen get changed? 

I think it's safe to assume worldgen haven't been touched for the land biomes, there always was nice unexpected random-sized water holes within biomes, it's between uncommon and rare depend of how useful you expect them to generate but never really looked into their odd of generating and reason to be here, the cool thing is that they'll finally be a little more useful than before !

12 hours ago, ADM said:

And that is the second neat part because they aren't only decorative but also provide shade which prevents wildfire, so we cannot say this whole tree idea is rushed, it's amazing.

Oh my god, lets gooo! I wish we could use Knobby Trees stumps as foundation for platforms on water that are actually squares, unlike boats. It would create a whole new world of water basebuilding, especially due to wildfire protection, a lot of fishes near by and aesthetics, with major downside of no farming on boat (since there is no soil, only thing that can be farmed efficiently is kelp). I imagine it would look like in Raft and might be so beatiful to have such base near beaches of Constant

gallery8--raft2x.original.jpg

2 hours ago, Rylanor said:

That is such a wonderful idea, not only I just love the idea of having platforms that aren't affected by wave physic (that I'm kinda worried about with the new biome and gators spawning/sinking...) and possibly a bunch of shenanigans boats would have on the way, but that would also be a great to have some different shapes and eventually have these with a slight elevation to start implementing such things in the game. Doesn't seems to be part of your concept but gosh that would be sick.

26 minutes ago, ADM said:

That is such a wonderful idea, not only I just love the idea of having platforms that aren't affected by wave physic (that I'm kinda worried about with the new biome and gators spawning/sinking...) and possibly a bunch of shenanigans boats would have on the way, but that would also be a great to have some different shapes and eventually have these with a slight elevation to start implementing such things in the game. Doesn't seems to be part of your concept but gosh that would be sick.

With introduction of 64 bit DST we might even have an elevation in near (or maybe not so much) future. With recent miracles done by Klei (64 bit DST, Webber rework actually happening, Wes isnt uselless anymore, etc.) I believe than even such controversial and fundamental idea can be implemented

I like the idea of planting the trees to create a safety zone for Spring and Summer, but making a base near shore is not optimal if you don't take care of the Pengulls before they become aggressive and attack you.

This is the first i've seen said that the big trees prevent wildfires, so thx u so much for that. Don't have to make an embarrassing question post about it now.

But it's actually gonna be perfect for me since my small base is between a lil lake and a river that has my lureplant/bee boat. It'll give me a really nice area of cover and keep that boat safe

Archived