cant play the game, exe file missing

I dont know how the fudge it happened but the last 2 weeks i have been unable to play the game.

every time i start it up wether from steam or from my laptop itself i get the message the oxygennotincluded.exe is missing.

tried verifieing the game fiule, tried deleting every last trace of the game from my pc and redownloading it in a couple of different with and without dlc beta branche stuff, tried shutting down my virus scanner prior to redownloading the game and still, no luck.

I'm not a computer nerd, just a 35yo mother who needs this game to reset her brain when not working..... tried all my tricks..... is this just be patient until the next major update or does anyone else have soms tricks to try? search on google and the forum cam eup empty.

last time my antivirus recognized ONI optymalization changes as malware code and deleted it. I had to add it to the exception list to play ONI again. Maybe you have similar case? timeframe looks similar - just after fresh air update

Big Question here: Is the OxygenNotIncluded.exe file in the folder?

It should be something like C:\Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded.exe

If the .exe file is NOT present anymore, something has removed it.

If its there, you may try to start the game from there directly.

Various things to try, in no particular order:

> Reinstall in different folder/drive

> If Steam, then verify integrity of game cache

> Check in Operating System if known file extensions are hidden

> Check if Antivirus program has quarantined the game exe

List is not complete, but after the above has been tried I would say its nearly impossible that the exe is missing ``

If its still missing, please post a screenshot of your installation folder here. :indecisiveness:

Let us know how it went @syrae, good luck :p

image.thumb.png.22fc7fa8260538a712e6bf086b7d9245.png

image.thumb.png.5465ac702b4e1c08aca35c2cbfbb2aa8.png

My win10 install path

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded

Cacti would like it if you say hello :lemo:

4 hours ago, syrae said:

fixed it by completely deleting my virus scanner because apparantly the exception didnt work.... back to avg now :D

I guess, you are using windows 10? If so, the build in defender is good enough for everyday use. No need for anything external anymore.

17 hours ago, syrae said:

fixed it by completely deleting my virus scanner because apparantly the exception didnt work.... back to avg now :D

AV is generally a problem. If it sticks to hard signatures, it misses a lot of variants of known malware. If it goes too fuzzy, problems like yours happen. The only way to fix this eventually is good OS security, but for that MS will probably have to die. 

My personal favorite is malware that attacks insecure AV software tough. Has happened several times already.

Archived