Farms using spitters

I had this farm idea and didn't see it anywhere else. It works well for webber, but it can be used by any other character aswell (you have to wear the spiderqueen hat tho). Basically you place some spitter inside a bunch of end tables and walls, and place any kind of spawners (like pig houses) around, so the spitters can hit the mob, but the mob can't hit the spitter. The farm is automatic, you just need to stay nearby to load it. If you are too close, you'll hear the noise of the spitters tho. I'm gonna detail how to build it:

First, you need a 8x8 turf space. You surround the middle with 5x5 end tables (or statues), so the spiders don't attack it. Then, you surround it with a second layer of walls. Notice that you need to leave one wall of distance between the end tables and the walls (so the pigs can't reach the spiders), and place gates just in case the loot dropped behind the wall and you have to enter to gather it. I tried 2 layers of end tables, 2 layer of statues, end tables and walls, but the pigs always could hit the spider somehow. This model of one layer of end table and one layer of walls was the best option I found. If you have a better idea you can comment it below. 

Then, you just build the pig houses / merm houses / whatever you want to farm. I built 2 layers of pig houses, 48 in total.Then just surround it with walls so the pigs don't scape. Place some bait in there, like a powder cake, to prevent the pigs from getting into their homes.  Finally, you bring the spitters and drop them inside the end tables. You can use a lazy explorer to get inside. 20 spiders fit in there.

unknown.png?width=464&height=466

unknown.png?width=423&height=473

The farm isn't perfect tho. You don't get the entire loot, I don't know if the pigs or the spiders are eating it. If someone knows how to improve it, let me know.

18 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Very nice, a poor man's houndious.

Wait... Can you cheese fuelweaver with spitters??

Poor man's? 20 Spitters kill things a lot faster than a single Houndious. And they are massively cheaper to boot. :P

13 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Poor man's? 20 Spitters kill things a lot faster than a single Houndious. And they are massively cheaper to boot. :P

"Sometimes the poor are smarter than the rich."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

That and, I could be wrong, but I think Houndious doesn't aggro onto pigs like spiders do as well.

26 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

That and, I could be wrong, but I think Houndious doesn't aggro onto pigs like spiders do as well.

Anything you attack the houndious will attack also. Since the area has to be loaded anyways you can attack-cancel a pig and have a large amount of Houndious clear an area of pigs easily. 

There are of course cons when comparing with the above method, such as expense, but there are pros too.

1. The houndious wont turn on the player if the area is clear of enemies. (If you're not webber)

2. The houndious wont eat the meat.

3. The houndious has a long range allowing you to fill the kill box with more pig homes.

4. The houndious will also auto attack if you're a natural enemies to pigs.

5. The houndious' range allows you to place more houndious without having to make the kill box bigger. 

6. The houndious can double as a hound defense.

7. Houndious wont attack the walls so you don't have to worry about placing any structures such as tables or decorated nests (unique to webber). 

As Quartzbeam pointed out the biggest con is their expense but if your world is in the thousands it may not matter. All depends on what you want to prioritize in the end game and wether or not its worthwhile to the player. 

Both methods are good and the op is a genius. Ill definetly have to do this in my next webber world. :)

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Spiders cant destroy end tables. Spiders can destroy walls, unless there is decorated nest nearby, which there isn't.

Couldn't you use a friendly den to prevent them from destroying the wall tho? Actually assuming you use a friendly den the spiders should naturally aggro onto the pigs making the loot faster to collect for non webbers as well.

Actually on a side note while op's setup is nice wouldn't it be alot faster to just  setup a bunch of pig houses with a slight distance from each other and let a generic horde rip the pigs apart one at a time I mean considering they don't require upkeep I don't think you need a pen to exploit them I've let them maul all pigs in the area when i pass the king and find myself with a surplus of both pig skin and meat.

Cool farm idea, only problem is pigs are generally better to be farmed during full moons, and this farm seems like it could have trouble doing that. Also I'm pretty sure the spitters might be able to move through the end tables when you unload the area, as structures seem to load after mobs do, walls being the exception to this. Maybe you could swap the end tables with walls and place a decorated den down in the centre? Nonetheless a cool concept, a shame that I've already spent way too many resources moving pig farms, and I probably won't try this in my world.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

Couldn't you use a friendly den to prevent them from destroying the wall tho? Actually assuming you use a friendly den the spiders should naturally aggro onto the pigs making the loot faster to collect for non webbers as well.

Seems op is a wicker. 

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

Actually on a side note while op's setup is nice wouldn't it be alot faster to just  setup a bunch of pig houses with a slight distance from each other and let a generic horde rip the pigs apart one at a time I mean considering they don't require upkeep I don't think you need a pen to exploit them I've let them maul all pigs in the area when i pass the king and find myself with a surplus of both pig skin and meat.

With the set up above I imagine the farm would be continuous so you would only have to pop in from time to time to collect some free loot.

Just feeding the pigs and letting them kill each other may be faster or just using a horde as Webber, as you say. Op also mentions the loot gets eaten when its unsupervised, which kinda defeats the purpose of an auto farm, but I think there is room for optimization.  

In the end I can only speculate without seeing it first hand...

I do like seeing people coming up with ideas like this though and they even tend to inspire other farms down the line. (Probably works on a trapped moosey goosey and co.) Even if "more optimal" set-ups exist (moon event/fire farms).

I changed the design up a bit to those who don't like weird walls. I call it spitting health 9000. its the same but with nurses and no walls so the pigs and bunnies just get sniped. 20 spitters work fine even 10 spitters work but no less than 5 nurses. I recommend 10 nurses and 30 spitters. ( tip if you dont wanna make cookies go down underground with a mostly empty inv and some food for spitters pick em up and bring em up and repeat.) imma keep working on this but this is what I got so far.

Spoiler

1922286570_Screenshot(232).thumb.png.36af4008692be8fb58afe6f221fffea5.png808324634_Screenshot(234).thumb.png.1671abe10781a15351306ffae99638a3.png

11 hours ago, JosePapp said:

Why does it need end tables AND walls?

The spiders don't attack the end tables. But just the end tables won't prevent the pigs from hitting the spiders. I tried with 2 layers of end tables, but the pigs still could hit them somehow. Some mentioned that a decorated nest could prevent the spiders from attacking the walls, but once the spiders attack anything the decoration breaks.

57 minutes ago, CaRat said:

I changed the design up a bit to those who don't like weird walls. I call it spitting health 9000. its the same but with nurses and no walls so the pigs and bunnies just get sniped. 20 spitters work fine even 10 spitters work but no less than 5 nurses. I recommend 10 nurses and 30 spitters. ( tip if you dont wanna make cookies go down underground with a mostly empty inv and some food for spitters pick em up and bring em up and repeat.) imma keep working on this but this is what I got so far.

Hide contents

1922286570_Screenshot(232).thumb.png.36af4008692be8fb58afe6f221fffea5.png808324634_Screenshot(234).thumb.png.1671abe10781a15351306ffae99638a3.png

Don’t they eat more loot this way?

7 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Seems op is a wicker. 

With the set up above I imagine the farm would be continuous so you would only have to pop in from time to time to collect some free loot.

Just feeding the pigs and letting them kill each other may be faster or just using a horde as Webber, as you say. Op also mentions the loot gets eaten when its unsupervised, which kinda defeats the purpose of an auto farm, but I think there is room for optimization.  

I do like seeing people coming up with ideas like this though and they even tend to inspire other farms down the line. (Probably works on a trapped moosey goosey and co.) Even if "more optimal" set-ups exist (moon event/fire farms).

It's not like most of the loot gets eaten, you just don't get 100%.

8 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Seems op is a wicker. 

I was more so only speaking from webber's perspective as his horde makes auto farms pointless.

11 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Cool farm idea, only problem is pigs are generally better to be farmed during full moons, and this farm seems like it could have trouble doing that. Also I'm pretty sure the spitters might be able to move through the end tables when you unload the area, as structures seem to load after mobs do, walls being the exception to this. Maybe you could swap the end tables with walls and place a decorated den down in the centre? Nonetheless a cool concept, a shame that I've already spent way too many resources moving pig farms, and I probably won't try this in my world.

It could have trouble if the pigs were killed before the night starts. For werepigs farming, I suggest the graveyard model. The full moon happens once in 20 days tho, and the point of this farm is to be active as long as you're nearby. Also, I used pigs just as example, but I think you can farm basically anything with this setup.

10 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Seems op is a wicker. 

Also, I tried it for merm farming and it works well, since the merms don't eat their loot. I think that the problem here with the pigs is that the powdercake does not work well as a bait, since the pigs are also attracted by the meat / pig skins dropped.

7 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Don’t they eat more loot this way?

they actually eat less loot because most of the time they snipe em from a distance and then they die leaving the meat too far for spiders and pigs. But I had an idea to save meat. Beacuse pigs will leave fights to eat meat after a while of not hitting or being hit and the spitters tend to gang on 1 or 2 pigs leaving the rest to eat food. So I replaced spitters with shattered spiders. Their attacks dont do the most damage but they keep the target angry and I noticed alot less meat being eaten

Spoiler

1626773874_Screenshot(236).thumb.png.75adfd321c3f3560ec6ca71624573d06.png1886887647_Screenshot(238).thumb.png.719e3691982bab5330d53f72339b6126.png

you dont need yo use bones here I just did because its easier to see. Don't use walls tho they destroy em. don't bother trying to add spitters either. one miss shot from a shattered spider hits a spitter and boom no more spiders. the shattered spiders hit other spiders but not eachother

Archived