Why webber still has evil face?

Even after update and dozen skins for webber there is still only evil webber available for game. Not even justclosed mouth. 

Klei continue tease with pictures of webber with smile face and closed mouth. On the loading screens, character preview, main menu animation... Everywhere he has cute and good face, everywhere except actual game where you will play with that scary mouth. 

Even spiders themself has smile while decorated and we still have no even skin for that. 

I remember i even made a mod with webber with closed mouth, however this does not work anymore when skins brought to the game.

Actually because of his neat and friendless personality he should have good face by default, and perhaps evil in a just few skins.

I thought that webber update will give us this, but it just gave another evil skin... :(

I mean, you're missing the point of webber looking "evil" in the first place. The whole point of his personality is to show that appearances aren't everything.  He isn't even squinting or frowning, he's just a kid who leaves his mouth open for way too long, problem is, he happens to look like a horrifying (lore wise) spider monster in the process.  

I like webber's open mouth dumb face, it fits more with the rest of the characters and with the games themes without harming his personality 

28 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

The whole point of his personality is to show that appearances aren't everything

Exactly. His appearance includes facial expression - monster face with open mouth (normal look of monster boy merged with), - however, his quotes show friendly personality, and you as a player can prove by your actions his good intentions to other surviviors, and without that "evil" look and soft personality contrast would be lost.

Also I see Webber's open mouth not as dumb face, but face of someone who is both lost and scared a bit, which perfectly fits situation boy was experiencing for quite a while (in his short boy seem to be a kid, while merged creature tricked by Maxwell in the constant already grows beard, so it seems to me that a few years passed between merging accident and getting into the constant, during which boy was trapped inside alive spider).

So I'm perfectly fine with his face as it is now, although future skins with another expression that suits Webber's personality may change my opinion.

Edit: to me monster look somehow makes emotes with Webber smiling even more cute and adorable, and I tried to show it in my first reply.

23 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

you're calling this evil?

Actually i meant that THIS is how webber looks like in animations, loading screens or skin previews.

He has either closed mouth or smile.

Webber_Roseate_Portrait.pngWebber_Snowfallen_Portrait.pngWebber_Victorian_Portrait.pngWebber_Ubdate.png

But you'll never see this in game. Only rare moments when you're sleeping using a roll.

Ok it will be silly if he has smile on his face, that will look strange if he will continue smile while getting hit or starving , LOL.

But closed mouth could make him look cute. His skins are too similar in my opinion, there are only few that change color. Even maxwell has an "good" skin.

5 minutes ago, Nikuksis said:

But closed mouth could make him look cute. His skins are too similar in my opinion, there are only few that change color.

i don't think they're similar at all. we may just have different perspectives

but coming from the perspective of a hobbyist artist with particular passion in character design, all of webber's skins have very different silhouettes that make them unique from each other. the length of his fur changes, it falls down in different ways creating different shapes (only survivor and roseate have similar fur shapes, but you can still tell them apart by their legs and faces). some of webber's skins even have different eye shapes, making different expressions. 

imo he has some of the best skins, being a non human character really allows klei to play around with all sorts of shapes and colors (look at wormwood and wx, for the best examples of this)

I agree with Nikuksis. While playing with Webber i wanted to see closed cute mouth. At least there should be one skin for who wants to play like that. He is not a monster originaly, he is just a little boy who wants some attention. He deserves a closed mouth.

Well my statement is pretty simple. Webber is just pictured with closed mouth at the game menu animation. And we do not have the opportunity to play webber like this.

He is looking very different ingame

18 hours ago, JosePapp said:

I mean, you're missing the point of webber looking "evil" in the first place. The whole point of his personality is to show that appearances aren't everything.  He isn't even squinting or frowning, he's just a kid who leaves his mouth open for way too long, problem is, he happens to look like a horrifying (lore wise) spider monster in the process.  

I think this is true. BUT, that doesn’t mean we can’t have skins where this isn’t the case. Take Wortox’s “The Uncorrupted” skin for instance in comparison to his others.

6AF41328-2276-4861-9B57-717D45762FF3.png.b69e921042ec8232aa287c178eb81f64.png

I hate when characters are smiling in their sprites. These are characters that all have sad/tough backstories which led to them being abducted and placed into this strange, harsh, unforgiving world so to see a character running around smiling when they are pretty much in hell doesnt fit the tone imo.

Not to mention, having a character with a literal ever present smile would be creepy, and is the same reason people complain about Webbers spiders' smiles.

Archived