Hype for new oceanic content!

Spoiler

What's Next?
The team is continuing to do some work on content and changes before heading into a new content arc. One of our designers describes the next update as "A new biome that pops up in a couple places on the ocean. It's sort of chill... there are some water spiders." So, there's that. Which is nice. We'll have more details as we get closer to the next update. Have fun out there!

So, in Webber Rework post developers told us a little bit about NEW CONTENT ARC. While it might be similar to Shipwrecked, i think it will be too kind of tropical experience but not the Shipwrecked integration in DST. Share your thoughts about it and expectations

10 minutes ago, Rylanor said:
  Hide contents

What's Next?
The team is continuing to do some work on content and changes before heading into a new content arc. One of our designers describes the next update as "A new biome that pops up in a couple places on the ocean. It's sort of chill... there are some water spiders." So, there's that. Which is nice. We'll have more details as we get closer to the next update. Have fun out there!

So, in Webber Rework post developers told us a little bit about NEW CONTENT ARC. While it might be similar to Shipwrecked, i think it will be too kind of tropical experience but not the Shipwrecked integration in DST. Share your thoughts about it and expectations

Literally the only thing they said about the "new content arc" is that they're not doing it yet.

I hope rather than shipwrecked content, its more indicative of them fleshing out seasons. Artic islands that spawn only in winter is what im gathering from the tease, at least thats what my mind goes to since i had a similar idea in relation to season refreshes. I guess the new biomes could be year round though, im just desperately hoping the new update arc is seasons focused, while at the same time integrating seasonal gameplay to sailing, which so far seems like what is happening. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

Literally the only thing they said about the "new content arc" is that they're not doing it yet.

The way I interpret it is that the next update WILL be the new story arc, but as of now they are still working on it.

1 minute ago, sudoku said:

I hope rather than shipwrecked content, its more indicative of them fleshing out seasons. Artic islands that spawn only in winter is what im gathering from the tease, at least thats what my mind goes to since i had a similar idea in relation to season refreshes. I guess the new biomes could be year round though, im just desperately hoping the new update arc is seasons focused, while at the same time integrating seasonal gameplay to sailing, which so far seems like what is happening. Fingers crossed.

I have the feeling the new biome is not going to be an island, it's going to be an oceanic biome that you can sail through. I'd rather have the actual island, but hey, as long as it's new ocean content, I'm content :D:D

1 minute ago, Roodmas said:

The way I interpret it is that the next update WILL be the new story arc, but as of now they are still working on it.

I have the feeling the new biome is not going to be an island, it's going to be an oceanic biome that you can sail through. I'd rather have the actual island, but hey, as long as it's new ocean content, I'm content :D:D

Oh true. I want like a winter only island that melts into the ocean once winter is over, similar to walrus camps and the oasis. A water based biome hadnt crossed my mind, but i could live with that, i just think land based biomes are more appealing than water ones, especially to break up the monotomy of sailing trips. But water spiders does seem like it will be water based.

7 minutes ago, Roodmas said:

"The team is continuing to do some work on content and changes before heading into a new content arc."

This would be a completely backwards way to say "we are working on the new content arc". Regardless, Joe has already confirmed that they want to do some "other stuff" before starting the new arc, so this is gonna be a standalone update.

55 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Oh true. I want like a winter only island that melts into the ocean once winter is over, similar to walrus camps and the oasis. A water based biome hadnt crossed my mind, but i could live with that, i just think land based biomes are more appealing than water ones, especially to break up the monotomy of sailing trips. But water spiders does seem like it will be water based.

I like the idea of an island that only appears in the winter, although I don't see how that would work. Is it a piece of ocean that you can't build on? If not, what happens to the boats which are there when the island is supposed to appear?

Maybe outside of winter, it could be a regular island with a few new stuff to visit for, but then it becomes a winter wonderland full of life and loot and danger.

If it really is something that goes away in other seasons, I hope it stays in the same place every year. I would hate wasting half of the winter to try to access the content.

EDIT: oooor maybe these biomes will always appear on the south and north end of the map? Another potential use for the compass...

48 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

"The team is continuing to do some work on content and changes before heading into a new content arc."

This would be a completely backwards way to say "we are working on the new content arc". Regardless, Joe has already confirmed that they want to do some "other stuff" before starting the new arc, so this is gonna be a standalone update.

Oh I did not know that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

"A new biome that pops up in a couple places on the ocean. It's sort of chill... there are some water spiders."

Probably meaning some Ice Caps type-biome that pops in Winter over Constant's Ocean.

I just hope is NOT what certain people suggested: MacTs villages with Pengs and maybe Deerclops youngsters. Why? Isn't it obvious?!That would be just rehashed content for no apparent reason, what one would expect from a DST Steam Workshop mod.

Water Spiders? Depends of their function and purpose. If are just "reskin of regular Spider doing a Jesus trick", would be another pointless aforementioned rehashed content for the sake of filling seas with whatever.

10 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Water Spiders? Depends of their function and purpose. If are just "reskin of regular Spider doing a Jesus trick", would be another pointless aforementioned rehashed content for the sake of filling seas with whatever.

Hey, it's Klei. They never do such things. It will be a new spider with a new kind of movement and attacks.

I could imagine, this new biome has island and water parts (similar to the Mongrove biome in Shipwrecked).

Archived