[Poll] On Player Skill Level

hi pro im getnerfedon  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Of which skill level can you describe yourself as?

• New player (no prior experience or skill at DST)
    • Progressing player (Starting to gain skill at DST but still having difficulty surviving)
    • Average player (skilled at the fundamentals of DST but has no knowledge of advanced techniques)
    • Above Average (can survive pretty long, starting to gain knowledge of advanced techniques)
    • Expert (very skilled player, has knowledge of advanced techniques ingame)
    • Master (epitome of player skills; creates new techniques and strats for other players to use)
    • Casual (skill level does not matter for so long as you have fun)
    • Other (do mention in the comments)
  2. 2. Of which particular fields of DSt expertise do you count yourself as skilled in?

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

They tank Spiders without armor, hit Treeguards with Axes because "Axe is the scissor of Ent",

nah i think you're underestimating noobs. They still have enough brainpower to craft the superior fighting tool that is the spear and tank treeguard with it.

6 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

That alone would place you in "Expert" category. I have no idea what you're doing in pubs (if playing any), when multiple people are present, but I reckon your performance wouldn't be lower, even if certain lag was present (till ~150 ping).

That is bullcrap and you know it.

10 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

so pessimistic to come from someone who rush df on early days and survives handicaped modded worlds :)

haha anyone can build a wall for dragonfly, it's not impressive...
Also it's not as handicaped as you think when a mod like heap of foods is in it...

A poll for personal perception of player's potential isn't going to give very accurate results, especially when they're as vague as "advanced techniques". Unless someone actually knows what those advanced techniques are, they probably think they know them. A new player using inefficient strategies like eating meatballs with 3 ice may mistakenly believe that those are advanced techniques, and describe themselves as above average or even expert when they should be progressing or average.

To counteract this I voted that I've never played the game before. Does anyone know where the base is?

13 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

That is bullcrap and you know it.

Depends what are your expectations then. If "Expert" in your vision is a successful AFw speed-run with Wes using nothing but Grass Armor and Axes/Spears, then yes, you're far from said qualification. Imo you set the bar too high or have a colloquially "impostor syndrome" pov. And you're not alone, at least in objectively assessing general player skill - some of the people posting here seem to have a too high vision on what "Expert" would be in DST context to the point of extreme micro-management of anything "meta". Probably stemming from the fact they don't frequently play pubs and/or only watch elitist youtubers/Twitch streamers.

42 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Depends what are your expectations then. If "Expert" in your vision is a successful AFw speed-run with Wes using nothing but Grass Armor and Axes/Spears, then yes, you're far from said qualification. Imo you set the bar too high or have a colloquially "impostor syndrome" pov. And you're not alone, at least in objectively assessing general player skill - some of the people posting here seem have a too high vision on what "Expert" would be in DST context to the point of extreme micro-management of anything "meta". Probably stemming from the fact they don't frequently play pubs and/or only watch elitist youtubers/Twitch streamers.

I've yet to even do a solo FW kill, I've done a couple with friends but never solo, and even then the friends carried.

I feel like any solo fights I win are either due to dumb luck or rediculous over-preparation to where no skill is actually used, and even then I screw it up a ton.

I am not an expert, period, I refuse to be known as one, I'm honestly sorry you've been fooled into thinking I was ever competent. :s

I'm totally not an Expert myself but that's the closest option to my actual skill level because, like Guille said, above 'Average' basically means you struggle to survive and there's a big gap between those two options.
I do not struggle to survive, I usually die due to a mistake or two in a boss fight because I brought the EXACT amount of armor and healing I always needed and dies in the proccess. I do know some advanced techniques but they just don't fit my playstyle, I have yet to kill end-gamey bosses(FW, CC, CK and Toadstool ) because I always get bored and regenerate a world on day 30 - 50.

Archived