Even more "spaced out" Spaced Out starts?

So when i first picked up the DLC i had a similar problem to others in that it felt like the starting asteroid wasn't big enough, didn't have enough resources, and wasn't similar enough to the base game. Well, very soon after that the "Classic" start was added which addressed exactly this concern, which is great. But now that i've played a bit i find that i do quite like the Spaced Out starts where you have to expand to find critical resources. In fact... i find i'm wishing there were less resources on the starting planetoid and i had to do more to obtain all the staple biomes. I'm starting to feel that the reason the starting asteroid feels too small is not that there's not enough space to build a base, but rather that the clutter of tiny biome bubbles makes any individual expansion claustrophobic.

What if there were an even more "spaced out" Spaced Out start, with very few biomes, or perhaps even only a single predominant biome (outside the starting biome) that took up most of the starting asteroid?

I feel like this might encourage me as a player to actually find ways to use the resources of that biome, rather than saving a few seeds and critters just in case and then simply bulldozing every rust, ice, swamp and caustic biome on the map. If rust biome was all i had outside the starting biome, i might have a reason to farm nosh beans, which i've avoided ever since i tried it once. If there was only caustic, i might learn to survive on barbequeued drecko. If there was only swamp i might have to actually use mushrooms for food, which i also haven't bothered with after trying it once.

When so many biomes are given all together, the player inevitably gravitates to just using the simplest survival option. It's telling that for example in this thread the OP wanted advice on farming pufts to make mushroom wraps, and the advice pretty much unanimously was "why would you do that, just make some easier food". While it's nice to have easy food-making options... i feel it would also be nice to have to actually fly out and find them. I feel this would make the rocketry part of the DLC even more satisfying, while also providing interesting challenges and alleviating some of the claustrophobia from the reduced planetoid sizes.

I dunno though, maybe i'm just feeling the lack of more difficult starts? Does anyone else also feel this way?

Actually i feel that issue. Or a similar one. Sometimes the biomes get way too small due to the smaller asteroids. Like a slime biome that has just one large patch of slime and that`s it. No pufts and maybe 2-3 thimble reed seeds buried in it. Tidal biome seeds spawn without pokeshells and are too small. Rust biomes only have a single ethanol pool on the whole asteroid. It kinda feels cramped to the point i sometimes rather have less bigger biomes than the small ones.

Fully agree with this. I would find it much more interesting to have a single large biome for each biome on a planetoid. Having less biomes on a planetoid is fine too, makes the planetoids more specialized.

I think this could also easily be a world setting for simplicity sake.

When Space Out was first announced, I thought (and hoped) that each planetoid within a cluster was going to be a mono-biome.  So the starting planetoid would either be 100% sandstone or 100% forest, then there would be a slime biome planetoid, a cold biome planetoid, etc.  This would have meant each planetoid within the cluster was unique in the challenges it presented and the rewards it offered.  I was  disappointed that this wasn't the direction they chose, to be honest.

16 hours ago, goboking said:

When Space Out was first announced, I thought (and hoped) that each planetoid within a cluster was going to be a mono-biome.  So the starting planetoid would either be 100% sandstone or 100% forest, then there would be a slime biome planetoid, a cold biome planetoid, etc.  This would have meant each planetoid within the cluster was unique in the challenges it presented and the rewards it offered.  I was  disappointed that this wasn't the direction they chose, to be honest.

I understand your disappointment. I also agree with this.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:47 PM, goboking said:

This is a nice idea in theory but there is a lot of resources locked to certain biomes that would block your progress if you can`t get them. Ultimately it would be boring if each asteroid was just a single biome. But on the other hand i`m all for reducing the amount so they are much better represented.

37 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

This is a nice idea in theory but there is a lot of resources locked to certain biomes that would block your progress if you can`t get them. Ultimately it would be boring if each asteroid was just a single biome. But on the other hand i`m all for reducing the amount so they are much better represented.

As long as the required resources are within range of carbon dioxide-propelled rockets, I think it would be okay.  They'd probably need to make some deconstructable POIs out of steel to get us up and running, but everything else should be manageable until space exploration begins in earnest, right?

1 hour ago, goboking said:

As long as the required resources are within range of carbon dioxide-propelled rockets, I think it would be okay.  They'd probably need to make some deconstructable POIs out of steel to get us up and running, but everything else should be manageable until space exploration begins in earnest, right?

Eh I like some of the synergies or different playstyles combining differnt biomes makes. I just don't like my biomes peppered around the map as much.

One biome per planetoid I feel like would just be too much. I could see it if it was more like the empty world mod where the starting world is more a bunch of separate biome spheres floating close to each other but still separate. This would still be one planetoid but it would be a bit closer to what your suggesting.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:33 AM, crbd115 said:

Eh I like some of the synergies or different playstyles combining differnt biomes makes. I just don't like my biomes peppered around the map as much.

This actually gave me an idea. What if biomes weren`t created in random blobs but instead all stratified like the oil and magma biome. So that you`d get a slime biome above your starting biome and a caustic biome below for example both being a long flat biome. I wonder how would that play out.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

This actually gave me an idea. What if biomes weren`t created in random blobs but instead all stratified like the oil and magma biome. So that you`d get a slime biome above your starting biome and a caustic biome below for example both being a long flat biome. I wonder how would that play out.

The lasagna map

On 6/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, Sasza22 said:

The Biome Cake

I think it would be a good idea to have those clusters with less biomes (and fewer resources) as an option for playing on a more difficult map.

On top of that, I really miss the hot maps Aridio and Oasisse. Having a version of those clusters in the dlc would also be awesome. I would guess some people miss Rime too.

Archived